TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What's the 0-60mph on a P90D with Ludicrous switched off?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by nexsuperne101, Jun 19, 2016.

1. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

Hello,

The reason for my question is because I have a test drive coming up, and it is sure to be in the P90D, but not the 60D I am looking at.

I know the 0-60mph is 2.8 seconds vs 5.2 seconds, but I want to get a feel for how quick a 5 second 0-60mph is.
    At the moment I have a Nissan Leaf, which has a 0-60mph so slow that it is in double digits.... :(

Does anyone know?

Thanks

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I don't understand what you are expecting in replies to your post. I think the only way to get "a feel" for that is to be in a car while it accelerates to 60mph in about 5 seconds.

Obviously your Nissan Leaf is not going to be able to provide that experience, as you point out. Perhaps you know someone who has a car that can accelerate at that rate and can give you a ride before your Tesla test drive?

If you have never owned a car that can accelerate that quickly I think you will be surprised at just how fast it is. In addition, an EV with the torque of a Tesla -- much more than your Leaf -- makes that acceleration feel much stronger than in an ICE because of the essentially instantaneous full torque of an EV.

The 2.8 0-60 time of the P90D feels...insane. I test drove one. It's almost indescribable. But for real world driving the acceleration of my plain old S85 is plenty. It shocks people who have never been in a Tesla.

Enjoy your test drive, and let us know your reactions to a state-of-the-art EV like a Tesla.

• Like x 1
  3. sorka

sorka Active Member

It's 4.0 seconds for sport mode.

If you want to feel what a 5.2 seconds tesla feels like say for the 70D which is 5.2 seconds, press and hold the Tesla emblem in the top center of the screen. A password prompt will pop up. Enter "performance". Then select 70D from the drop down. You're car will not drive like a 70D.

Since this is a test drive, just ask your sales person and they'll do it. A P90D can simulate other lower performance models.

• Like x 1
  4. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

@sorka Thank you, I didn't know that could be done. I can't afford to get a P90D, but would still like something pretty quick.

5. MarkFromDenver

MarkFromDenver New Member

@nexsuperne101 Be aware! When I did my 1st and only test drive in a P90D before I got one, I stomped on the accelerator while jumping onto an interstate - like I was used to from my ICE car. I had NEVER experienced acceleration like that before, and a day later, I realized I had given myself a whiplash (neck muscles were really sore). Now, when I give friends that G-force experience, I tell them to place their heads back against the head rest before I hit the accelerator.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

I get to the Password screen and enter "performance". Nothing happens, just returns to prior screens. I have seen other reach the model screen. Is this only available on "Ludicrous" models. Mine is a P90D. Thanks for help.

7. marty2112

marty2112 Member

Its only available on the test drive cars. Pretty cool feature.

8. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

My P85 has the option to set it as a 70 under the Tesla icon. Used to have several options but the latest software left only the 70.

9. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

it works on all cars, after you put the password in, press the Tesla logo at the top center, then the choices will appear...

10. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

I was shown with other owners who have the ability on personal cars last week at car show. These were not test drive cars. Thanks for the replay anyway.

11. davidc18

davidc18 Member

12. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

I tried the above -- it just returns to My Tesla Vehicle. I tried OK in the password block, and the Enter Key on the Keyboard. If I understood the sequence -- 1 press and hold the "T", when it beeps, the password screen appears; Enter "performance", then press the "T" again. If that is correct, I don't get the Model Selection, just returns to the regular screen. Confused.

13. SSD420

SSD420 Member

My loaner Model S P90DL has this. No password needed. Just tap the Tesla T in the middle of your ginormous screen and then there's a drop down list to choose from,

14. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

Depends on which version.....don't we have to caveat it by saying that. The way I read the yet again redefined P90D, is that if I order a brand new one today (v4), they are saying 0-60 in 3.0