Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the average income of a Model S owner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a country (Norway) where cars in general are heavily taxed (100-200%), but EVs are totally tax free, a lot of Model S reservation holders here are people who would normally be in the market for a well equipped BMW 3-series or a stripped 520D(!).

So I wonder; what's the average income of the US Model S-buyer? Seeing as it's priced similar to a BMW M5, I would think only a small percentage of the population would be eligible to buy this kind of car?

Or am I wrong? ;)

I just want to point out that we get tax beaks too. After tax breaks only the performance edition is priced the same as an M5, the normal Model S is the same as a top of the line normal 5 series.

I just want to point out that we get tax beaks too. After tax breaks only the performance edition is priced the same as an M5, the normal Model S is the same as a top of the line normal 5 series.

Yup - got that. For your giggling / shocking pleasure, a BMW 550i Aut. Gran Turismo (similar specs to TMS), sets you back $258.545 here in Norway.

You may faint now.. ;)

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/newcar/object?finnkode=781833520120301

Quite a bit lower than Norway then. For 2011 the before income tax average income here was ~$79.000 (~€61.000).
But you guys are taxed for _everything_ :)

The average income in the Netherlands (where taxes are also high) is € 34.600 per year.

I would for example never buy a brand-new BMW 530i due to the amount of taxes I'd have to pay. But Model S is exempt from all those taxes and makes the choice a lot easier.

My income is about twice average, but still a BMW 5-series or Mercedes E-Class is out of the budget I'm willing to spend on a car.

Great - Thanx :)

The numbers are from 2005, but let's say they increased by 10% since then. The median household income should add up to ~100k USD, then. A fair share of the Model S buyers are in this bracket or less - that's really interesting, seeing as there is a lot of other ICE cars they could have afforded in the same price range. Here in Norway, a normal household income for industrial workers is ~140k USD, and most normal families can't afford to buy a new car(!)

Not quite. The median *household* income for 2009 in the US was about $50k according to Wikipedia. More google searches get similar numbers so let's run with it. Consider this quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_in_the_United_States:

"While wages for women have increased greatly, median earnings of male wage earners have remained stagnant since the late 1970s.[6][7] Household income, however, has risen due the increasing number of household with more than one income earners and women's increased presence in the labor force.[8]"

In fact, this disparity is typical. There is wide variation in personal income by sex, educational attainment, area of the country, and any other number of factors. More to the point, there is a rather significant number of households with only one full-time income earner. From the same article: "[only] 42% of households, the majority of those in the top two quintiles with incomes exceeding $57,658, now have two income earners."

In short, these facts conspire to make the relationship between personal and household income highly non-linear, and they vary dramatically from area to area.

So I wonder; what's the average income of the US Model S-buyer? Seeing as it's priced similar to a BMW M5, I would think only a small percentage of the population would be eligible to buy this kind of car?

Only the P85 is "similar to a BMW M5", and it's actually about $5000 cheaper than the M5 ($102K vs $107K at my last check). But the 40 kWh car, even with a few options like tech package and dual chargers, is going to be under or around $60K. That's a very wide range. Overall, I think you'd get better data by framing the question around the 40/60 kWh cars instead of the Performance version.

- - - Updated - - -

Not even a "top of the line" normal 5 series. My wife's 535 had a base price of $53K, and with just a few of the basic options (eg. tech and premium packages) gets quickly up to about $60K. A well-optioned car, with most of the useful options but without adaptive cruise control and a couple of others can easily hit $76K. And that's the 535... the 550 adds another chuck of change to those numbers. I'd say the price of the Model S is direct competition to the 5-series.

Quite a bit lower than Norway then. For 2011 the before income tax average income here was ~$79.000 (~€61.000).

Thats much more as in Germany. Times two I would say. Your taxes are much higher, I know.

But a question:
Do you know how high would the income of an engineer or chemist (B.Sc. grade) in Norway? Or for the others here, in your country.
For Germany that would be round about 40.000 € (52.000 $) at the beginning of the career.

That would not be enough for a Model S :-(.

According to Ingeniør | utdanning.no (a goverment approved site, they say), it's around €52.400. After 10-14 years of experience, it's around €67.000.

Using the calculator to the Norwegian union Nito (union for Engineers) I'm getting the average engineer salary for graduates is at $79,000 (€60,500) and $105,000 (€80,500) for engineers with 10 years' seniority. 30 years experience or more is $118,000 (€90,800). Where I work, I know that my co-workers (engineers) with 5 years of experience has an salary of $100,000 (€76,600).
Average tax rate of income is about 28% (http://www.davemanuel.com/2009/09/08/the-norwegian-tax-system/)

VAT Rates in Norway 25% plus income tax 28% is 53%?

Average tax rate of income is about 28%

Is it true that Norway also has VAT??
The standard VAT rate in Norway is 25%. There is a reduced rate of 15% for food and drink. There is also an 8% VAT rate for: passenger transport; hotel accommodation; and other.

And Norway has very high taxes on vehicles???

Thanx, rlpm - that was very informative!

Surprised, really, to see that large a bunch in the sub $100K section. Almost 30%.
Remember when reading that: nobody made a poll about *assets*. There may be quite a few purchases by people with low incomes but a very large quantity of savings. This is my situation. This is also the situation of a number of retirees.

Last edited:
Is it true that Norway also has VAT??
The standard VAT rate in Norway is 25%. There is a reduced rate of 15% for food and drink. There is also an 8% VAT rate for: passenger transport; hotel accommodation; and other.

And Norway has very high taxes on vehicles???

For EV there is no VAT or Taxes. However, one-off registration tax is computed based upon the tax group, unladen weight, engine rating, CO2 emissions and NOx, as well as possibly the engine's cylinder volume. Second-hand vehicles: The one-off registration tax is reduced in proportion to the age of the vehicle (use deduction).

You can see how the taxes are calculated here: http://toll.no/templates_TAD/RegistrationTax.aspx?id=79&epslanguage=en&step=1