Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the average sale price of a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember reading a while back that the average sale price of a Model S was in the high $90s and that they sell more higher trim level Model S vehicles. This was before the 70D and the 70S came out and I was wondering if any figures have been released since then on what the average sale price is now.

Is it still in the high $90s?

I was not aware that Tesla released specific data on ASPs.

I thought there was mention of it at some point but I can't find the source any more. I thought it was $90K something.

The reason I am asking is some on a Mercedes forum I frequent are saying that the latest sales figures that show the Model S eclipsing the S Class is irrelevant because the Model S average sale price is a lot less. I thought the average price was still quite close with many customers selecting well equipped P/D models.

The reason I am asking is some on a Mercedes forum I frequent are saying that the latest sales figures that show the Model S eclipsing the S Class is irrelevant because the Model S average sale price is a lot less. I thought the average price was still quite close with many customers selecting well equipped P/D models.

It is irrelevant, but not for that reason. It has less to do with the ASP, and more to do with what cars people actually cross shop.

After averaging national pricing data, the report said owners paid an approximately 80% premium on their Tesla cars compared to the average selling price of their previous cars.....Of those surveyed only 13% of respondents said they would have purchased a vehicle with an average selling price higher than the Tesla Model S

The Average Tesla (TSLA) Driver Isn't Who You'd Expect - TheStreet

Many people paid significantly more than their previous car and aren't considering the S Class and similar priced cars. That doesn't mean they couldn't afford the S Class, only that it wasn't considered.

Maybe one of the reasons that Tesla S sales are growing, while Mercedes S sales are falling is that you need to spend much more money to get the old gas guzzler than the modern electric car.

It has been postulated that once the cost of buying and operating an equilivant electric car becomes lower than buying a gas car, the number of gas car buyers will decline rapidly.

Once Taxi companies realized that a Hybrid Prius was cheaper to own and operate than their previous gas cars the turned away from the ICE vehicles in droves.