TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's the avg Kwh/mile?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by CTemp222, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

I'm currently on a roadtrip with the X and it's been pretty crazy, 50 mph headwinds plus new tires have really hurt range. Does anyone know what the average Kwh/mile is? Currently charging on a level two charger, need enough charge to get to a supercharger.

2. PGeer

PGeer Member

My average over 5200 miles is 347 wh/mi. That includes hot weather (90s) and cool (40s). That's on 22 inch wheels.

3. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

How do you do that? Long avg drives? I'm way above 450.

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

I faced headwinds too while in FL. In fact the car rerouted us to a closer SC when it calculated we wouldn't reach the original SC based on 435 watts/mile. Definitely do not believe the car when charging and it says "you have charged enough to reach your destination". I did get as low as 328 watts/mile through the Florida Keys (flat, 60 mph).

5. roser

roser Member

My Model X P90DL with 22" wheels is using about 530 watts/mile.
    I had a loaner Model S 90D with 19" wheels for a week and was using about 330 watts/mile.

I'm getting about 30% less than the "rated" range. Nice to know the trip planner will re-route based on actual power consumption, but I wish the HUD would display the "actual" range instead of rated.

6. suresv

suresv Member

I just did a 2,000 mile roundtrip to Phoenix via San Diego from the Bay area (already put on 2500 miles in about 10 days with the car). Averaged around 400 wh/mile (P90D with 20" wheels). I typically would do that trip in about 330 - 340 wh/mile on my P85+ (now traded in) with 21" tires.

On another interesting note, the rated range on the X seems to be around 330 wh/mile - about 10% penalty compared to the S.

7. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

I made it home, I'll post the about the trip when I have time.