Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the battery voltage from 0% to 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Power is Volts X Amps. So strictly speaking Voltage does not matter. Just use more Amps to get same power.
But there are limits to Amperage available in some cases. At low state of charge the Amps are limited to prolong battery life. Same for cold weather.
Same for regen -> putting energy (charging) back into the battery while decelerating. Regen is limited in cold weather and at a high state of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3 and matija
Yes, I have noticed that if I am driving at highway speeds at low SOC, I'll get a few dots on the right side of the power bar, indicating that maximum discharge is being limited. It didn't do that, if I remember correctly, back when I first got my 3 last May, it came along in the course of updates.

That one time (I wrote about it here) when I had to drive 25 miles home from work, with 13 indicated miles of range left, after the battery sat in sub-freezing cold for 8 hours, the dots got most of the way to the middle of the power bar from the right side!:eek:

Over the 8 hours, the cold reduced it from 30 miles to 13.

As the battery has 96 cells in series, I'd expect the resting, open circuit voltage to be:

0% indicated SoC - (really ~3% absolute SoC) - 2.85V * 96 = ~274V
100% indicated SoC - (really ~98% absolute SoC) - 4.15V * 96 = ~399V

The minimum voltage can be lower than this when discharging and the maximum voltage can be higher when charging.

So Voc would be ~2.80v 0% and 4.18v at 100%?

Reviving this thread now that I have Scan My Tesla setup.
From my CAN bus readings over the last several weeks, maximum pack voltage has always reported 403V, and minimum pack voltage varied between 240-242V.

The bottom voltage probably includes the buffers, which we now know is around 4.5% of the total pack capacity (my readings show this to be 4.45 to 4.46%). So voltage at 0% SoC as reported by the BMS is probably closer to 252V.

I haven’t done a 100% charge since acquiring the SMT setup, but I don’t see a reason why there should be a top-level buffer. I’ll confirm that next time I do a 100% charge by reading the voltage at rest (not charging or discharging) while at 100% SoC.

If it indeed shows 403V at 100% SoC, then the max pack voltage has been reached and there is no top-level buffer. I can do the same thing to calculate bottom-level voltage by driving to 0% SoC, but that might be a while longer.

If someone with a CAN bus reader setup has already done this, I’d love to see a graph showing pack voltage over the entire SoC range.

... and minimum pack voltage varied between 240-242V.

The bottom voltage probably includes the buffers, which we now know is around 4.5% of the total pack capacity (my readings show this to be 4.45 to 4.46%). So voltage at 0% SoC as reported by the BMS is probably closer to 252V.

I think you've assumed that voltage varies linearly with SoC, but that's not really true for Li-ion cells (and many other types). I could be wrong that you made this assumption, rough head math makes it look like this is what happened though. See this very generalized graph for what I mean: https://www.powertechsystems.eu/wp-...1/LiFePO4-vs-Lead-Acid-Discharge-Curve-EN.png

Anyhow, I think I recall seeing 4.195 on the cell voltage with Scan My Tesla (definitely 4.19x) at 100%, which somewhat confirms there's not really any top buffer. Can't recall what that was on total pack voltage, but I've definitely seen 4xx.

This graph is a Tesla 2170 cell discharge curve at 0.25C from Jack Rickard. Multiply this by 96 to get the pack voltage.

A8C9058F-5270-4FE9-8ECA-5E452EB49227.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Just showing where 4.0V is.

s1sqjnZ.jpg

As the battery has 96 cells in series, I'd expect the resting, open circuit voltage to be:

0% indicated SoC - (really ~3% absolute SoC) - 2.85V * 96 = ~274V
100% indicated SoC - (really ~98% absolute SoC) - 4.15V * 96 = ~399V

The minimum voltage can be lower than this when discharging and the maximum voltage can be higher when charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Looks like you have lots of rows in that sheet, which is great! Would you be willing to share all rows, or at least a graph that represents all rows?
No worries. I just did the simple formulas to compute the increment values.
You can just bring up excel or Google sheets and put in the blue row.
Then add the red values to them 100 times. (ie. for 100 more rows)

WYSIWYG editor is not working

Absolute SoC____Display SoC____Voltage
____3.00%____________0%_________2.85
___+0.950%__________+1%________+0.013

BgtFuSx.jpg

Reactions: Lindenwood
Thanks, are we sure it’s that linear though?
Certainly it is not. I was just doing something simple to see where the 4v fell. Various sources show charts of volts vs SOC. If 4v is reasonably accurate then it could happen at a lower SOC. Sorry for any confusion I've added.

I have ScanMyTesla so I could grab this data and chart it but I'm sure that has been done many times. Tesla appears to have tweaked their battery chemistry/content over the years so it certainly varies because of that. i.e. I had a 2016 90 X that I think is different from my current 2017 100 X. Certainly different on MYs of the 3/Y too.

Below via: 41. LCO, LFP, NMC... CRYPTIC LIVES OF THE CATHODE - Qnovo

CGSH4OF.jpg

Reactions: karlos22