Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best frunk fridge solution and power source?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning a bit of a long trip and thinking about having a fridge in the frunk and I was wondering if there was any consensus on the best fridge that neatly fits the frunk of a dual motor Model S.

What's the best way to get power to the fridge?

It seems the best option is to install a 12V outlet in the frunk area that can be used by the fridge and other devices in the frunk in the future. Perhaps a dual 12V outlet so I can power two devices in the frunk?

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
12 volt refrigerators (like my Engel MT35) work great in the rear well, but not so in the frunk. Why? There is no ventilation in the frunk. Without ventilation, the little air that is in the frunk will quickly become hot, and the refrigerator will not be able to dump heat efficiently to the surrounding hot air blowing across the condenser coil.

The Frunk Cooler mentioned above is probably your best option. Personally, I much prefer a refrigerator, even though it's inside the cabin.

12 volt refrigerators (like my Engel MT35) work great in the rear well, but not so in the frunk. Why? There is no ventilation in the frunk. Without ventilation, the little air that is in the frunk will quickly become hot, and the refrigerator will not be able to dump heat efficiently to the surrounding hot air blowing across the condenser coil.

The Frunk Cooler mentioned above is probably your best option. Personally, I much prefer a refrigerator, even though it's inside the cabin.

Wow this is a really good point that I never considered. The whole concept of a frunk fridge seems dumb now that you mentioned the ventilation issue. Seems the best option is to get a bunch of ice and a quality cooler for the frunk... Thanks for pointing out the ventilation issue, as you can't cool without generating heat.

I'm already using the rear foot well area to store a bunch of things so there is really no space there.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Wow this is a really good point that I never considered. The whole concept of a frunk fridge seems dumb now that you mentioned the ventilation issue. Seems the best option is to get a bunch of ice and a quality cooler for the frunk... Thanks for pointing out the ventilation issue, as you can't cool without generating heat.

I'm already using the rear foot well area to store a bunch of things so there is really no space there.

You could probably get some dry ice to chill the frunk quite substantially without having to worry about excess water drippage. Maybe wet ice on the interior, and dry ice around it?