Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best insurance alternative to State Farm for a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm making preparations to pick up my car and my current premium is about $650 for for 6 months for a Mercedes V8. State Farm just quoted $1,198 for 6 months for a Model S, essentially doubling my premium :eek:

I have a homeowner's policy, umbrella coverage, and have a good driver and claim free discount so I feel my premium shouldn't double from what I pay for the Mercedes E550.

What are the best alternatives to State Farm for home and car insurance with an umbrella? I don't want to skimp on coverage so it needs to be a reputable company and appreciate any advice!

I was just in the process of responding to this thread (thinking I was in the Canadian Sub-Forum). State Farm was purchased by Desjardins insurance up here in the Great White North and they have essentially gone from bad to worse. Although, we have Aviva and Wawanesa up here that make State Farm look amazing.

I'm making preparations to pick up my car and my current premium is about $650 for for 6 months for a Mercedes V8. State Farm just quoted $1,198 for 6 months for a Model S, essentially doubling my premium :eek:

I have a homeowner's policy, umbrella coverage, and have a good driver and claim free discount so I feel my premium shouldn't double from what I pay for the Mercedes E550.

What are the best alternatives to State Farm for home and car insurance with an umbrella? I don't want to skimp on coverage so it needs to be a reputable company and appreciate any advice!

We're picking up 2018 P100D on Friday, we had Farmers, who quoted much higher rate for S... Switched to Progressive, they offered the best rate.. We were paying $1265 for 6 month- Audi 2016 S6/ Audi 2018 S5 SB, now- $1044 2018 P100D/18 Audi S5 SB. We're in NJ. I think a lot depends on location.

The only reasonable rate I could get was from Nationwide for $1200 for 6 months. Geico, State farm and progressive were giving me $400 a month rates. I mean wtf. I guess it's because I haven't been in the States too long (1.5 years).

This thread is great. When I started I was thinking of looking for a different insurer, but now I think I will stick with farmers. Yearly $1,284 for 2017 MS75 and $984 for 2017 highlander hybrid platinum. not the best, but the service has been great. Both with high limits, $750 ded. For highlander and $1,000 for MS. Both in our 40’s clean records, Bay Area.
Also have home/umbrella

Last edited:
This thread is great. When I started I was thinking of looking for a different insurer, but now I think I will stick with farmers. Yearly $1,284 for 2017 MS75 and $984 for 2017 highlander hybrid platinum. not the best, but the service has been great. Both with high limits, $750 ded. For highlander and $1,000 for MS. Both in our 40’s clean records, Bay Area.
Also have home/umbrella

That's a great rate! Wonder why the OP's rate quoted by State Farm is so much higher.

We're picking up 2018 P100D on Friday, we had Farmers, who quoted much higher rate for S... Switched to Progressive, they offered the best rate.. We were paying $1265 for 6 month- Audi 2016 S6/ Audi 2018 S5 SB, now- $1044 2018 P100D/18 Audi S5 SB. We're in NJ. I think a lot depends on location.

Do you mind sharing how much your State Farm quote was for the Model S?

I’m 22 years old and Male.
Model S 85 $220 a month. USAA.
If you can get USAA as a Male older than 25 you should pay about $500 for 6 months.

USAA is outrageous for Tesla. They want $1145 for 6 months. My Mercedes AMG is half that with them. They wouldn’t take my Ferrari I had before, which Liberty Mutual was charging me 5-something. USAA saved me a bit on other cars but homeowners is still with LM because USAA is 40-50% higher. So they’re not always best or even close. Sounds like Progressive will be getting a call from me soon...

We have Root. 2016 Lexus and 2016 Tesla, 565 for full coverage every 6 months. No accidents, tickets, etc. They track your driving habits then give you a quote. My wife and I don't drive during peak hours and average less than 20 miles driven a day. Worth checking out though.

Weird. We have SF. Multi car, home, umbrella, a Nissan Leaf, Model X P90DL, and just picked up replacement MS P85+.

Replacement because I totaled my P85 and got a reckless driving conviction in CA. Adding the P85+ only $845/6months. Very low I think $500 or $1k deductible.

I've had my S with Progressive for 3 years. It is due to renew next month but I'm hoping the insurance product Tesla may be offering will be available before that so I can compare.

My understanding is that insurance coverage is prorated, at least in my experience. If you can 1 month into your 6th month coverage, I believe you get a refund check for the 83% or 5/6th of your prepaid premium.

My understanding is that insurance coverage is prorated, at least in my experience. If you can 1 month into your 6th month coverage, I believe you get a refund check for the 83% or 5/6th of your prepaid premium.
yup. true with practically every company according to the wife that has much experience with insurance companies. You should be able to switch insurance any time.