Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best insurance alternative to State Farm for a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm making preparations to pick up my car and my current premium is about $650 for for 6 months for a Mercedes V8. State Farm just quoted $1,198 for 6 months for a Model S, essentially doubling my premium :eek:

I have a homeowner's policy, umbrella coverage, and have a good driver and claim free discount so I feel my premium shouldn't double from what I pay for the Mercedes E550.

What are the best alternatives to State Farm for home and car insurance with an umbrella? I don't want to skimp on coverage so it needs to be a reputable company and appreciate any advice!

As my wife says... (she handled auto accident claims for more than 25 years), don't just look at the cost of insurance, look at ratings of how they handle claims and what they will cover when you need to file a claim. In her opinion, SF is better than others about handling claims, but expensive. She absolutely hates dealing with the others quoted above as she says they always try to cheat her clients out of money. Just a one mouse comment. Some people have good experiences with ones mentioned above.

Ask the opinions of a couple personal injury paralegals. They deal with insurance folks all day long. Asking my opinion here is worthless, but it is a great question. :D

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
I'm making preparations to pick up my car and my current premium is about $650 for for 6 months for a Mercedes V8. State Farm just quoted $1,198 for 6 months for a Model S, essentially doubling my premium :eek:

I have a homeowner's policy, umbrella coverage, and have a good driver and claim free discount so I feel my premium shouldn't double from what I pay for the Mercedes E550.

What are the best alternatives to State Farm for home and car insurance with an umbrella? I don't want to skimp on coverage so it needs to be a reputable company and appreciate any advice!
Wouldn’t insure my lawn mower with SF.

As my wife says... (she handled auto accident claims for more than 25 years), don't just look at the cost of insurance, look at ratings of how they handle claims and what they will cover when you need to file a claim. In her opinion, SF is better than others about handling claims, but expensive. She absolutely hates dealing with the others quoted above as she says they always try to cheat her clients out of money. Just a one mouse comment. Some people have good experiences with ones mentioned above.

Ask the opinions of a couple personal injury paralegals. They deal with insurance folks all day long. Asking my opinion here is worthless, but it is a great question. :D

Could not agree more. I got a quote from Progressive but ended up going with Amica. Premium was higher, but not that much higher, and it was worth the peace of mind. Amica is top rated by Consumer Reports.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
A good insurance company is one you can count on when you need them. If you live in a big city companies like Progressive and others mentioned above will hang you out to dry. The two best insurance companies in the US are Auto Club and USAA. Ask a lawyer or expert in the industry or anyone insured with the above in a serious accident where fault can be made ambiguous. Worse than a bad company is not having $500K of liability and an umbrella on top of that, unless you live in your car of course.

Could not agree more. I got a quote from Progressive but ended up going with Amica. Premium was higher, but not that much higher, and it was worth the peace of mind. Amica is top rated by Consumer Reports.

well, now that you mention it. That is what my wife chose, based on her experience with practically no hassle getting them to pay claims and not trying to cheat her clients. Yes, there are other companies out there just as good. This one was simply her choice and we pay about 10% more than the average. "Your mileage may vary". This is not to discredit any particular company. She says insurance companies are like a Clint Eastwood movie. A combination of "The Good, the bad, and the ugly." :D

Wow just changed my policy to Progressive lol. I was paying $960 for 6 months with GEICO. Had them for forever, but I could've sworn that I did a quote with Progressive when I got the car in September and it was a lot more than the $510 I just paid lol..My deductible for collision came down from $2,500 to $500. That gives me more piece of mind. Thanks for the heads up!

I add to the Progressive fan club, including homeowners and umbrella.
Over the years I have dealt with several including several mentioned here. Nobody has come close to Progressive in terms of claims service. In my recent claim they paid quickly and completely and initiated a reduced value claim on their initiative. Of course the other party was at fault, I was not the driver and the accident happened in Quebec while I am insured in Miami, Florida. I had expected major problems but they ended out solving them rather than contributing to them.
What more could I want than that? Competitive prices, but they have that too.

I have State Farm and have always been treated with great professionalism. This might depend on your personal broker. I have an umbrella policy, home policy and insure 3 vehicles with them. My rate is about $1,300 per year.

• Informative
Reactions: trm2