Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best Model S refresh front fascia option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a few different options for the refresh front fascia for the Model S and I was wondering which option is the best from an aesthetic and cost perspective. Is it possible to retrofit the OEM front bumper or would that not work seamlessly with the radar unit placement of the nosecone cars?

It's not that simple and anyone who says it is can't be trusted.

That's what I gathered too. So is there a definitive "best solution" for the front bumper refresh retrofit?

Who makes the best one at the most reasonable price and what is the typical cost to have it properly painted and installed? I guess blending/matching certain colors is not going to be easy for the bumper painting...

That's what I gathered too. So is there a definitive "best solution" for the front bumper refresh retrofit?

Who makes the best one at the most reasonable price and what is the typical cost to have it properly painted and installed? I guess blending/matching certain colors is not going to be easy for the bumper painting...

$2-$3k for bumper and I’d guess $1500 professional paint and install. It’s not like you have 15 options to choose from. Maybe 3-4?

I did some research on this a few months ago and it looked like their are really only two aftermarket options. Unplugged Performance and T Sportline. The other brands look like white labels of those two. I personally like the upper half of the Unplugged version and the lower half of the T Sportline version so neither really work for me. You can do it with OEM parts so long as you’re ok with the “underbite” and utilizing one of the two solutions for "the gap". Based on previous attempts, I would not even think about trying to swap out the hood, hence you have to solve for "the gap". The two solutions for the gap are the gap filler which I've linked below, or modifying the OEM piece by bending and filling the plastic. In addition, you will have to cut out the grill on the OEM bumper for the AP1 radar if you have it. I would only suggest going the OEM route if you have some experience working on cars.

Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it. But, if I ever do it I'd likely go the OEM route, modify the OEM plastic piece to fill the gap, and make the necessary cutouts for the radar.

OEM Conversion Thread:
2014 P85 Gets a 2017 facelift using OEM parts

Gap Filler:
Gap Filler for OEM Facelift bumper on Pre-Facelift Model S

I thought he needed a special part to get the OEM front cover work...

Even with that piece when viewed from the side the car will have a serious underbite. To eliminate that problem you have to get the facelift version hood, which is about $900, and then you’ll have to made major modifications to the frunk. Best to buy one of the two commercial versions rather than attempt to do it all with OEM parts, but even those involve compromises

Is it possible to retrofit the OEM front bumper or would that not work seamlessly with the radar unit placement of the nosecone cars?

OEM

The hood has a different curvature on the nosecone cars at the nosecone, then opposed to the refresh cars. SO using OEM would require at least a new hood and I suppose, other issues would crop up after that possibly the latch might not align or other. Lots of extra painting hood if you ever did get it to fit.

I was tossed between the Unplugged and Tsportline versions as well but decided to go the OEM refresh bumper in the end and glad I did. It takes more effort sourcing all of the parts to make this conversion possible but IMO, well worth the effort. Overall costs is about the same as the Tsportline bumper and this is done without modifying the hood. I also painted the rocker panels and rear bumper moldings to keep it consistent with the refresh Model S.

Attachments

• IMG_6943.PNG
    IMG_6943.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,943
  • IMG_6945.PNG
    IMG_6945.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,861
  • IMG_7073.jpg
    IMG_7073.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 1,725