Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best Model S refresh front fascia option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was tossed between the Unplugged and Tsportline versions as well but decided to go the OEM refresh bumper in the end and glad I did. It takes more effort sourcing all of the parts to make this conversion possible but IMO, well worth the effort. Overall costs is about the same as the Tsportline bumper and this is done without modifying the hood. I also painted the rocker panels and rear bumper moldings to keep it consistent with the refresh Model S.

Whoa, that looks amazing, congrats! How did you go about sourcing all the parts?

And..when you say it cost as much as the tsportline bumper, do you mean the whole process (parts+installation) or just parts themselves cost about $2k?

For me...all new OEM PARTS w a used eBay bumper was $1700...if you go w new bumper...you will be just under $2000 parts only.

You need to get it paint no matter which options you go with.

Tspprtsline has build quality issues...there’s a tread about it. They don’t seem to care or respond to the issue.

I actually just bought an Unplugged refresh fascia! It got delivered today.

I purchased a used 2015 Model S 70 from Tesla and they damaged the front bumper during delivery, so they were already paying for the labor to repair it. I asked the body shop if I could substitute in a bumper I provided within the same labor cost, and they said yes! Dropping off the car on Monday, let's see how it goes... fingers crossed.

I was tossed between the Unplugged and Tsportline versions as well but decided to go the OEM refresh bumper in the end and glad I did. It takes more effort sourcing all of the parts to make this conversion possible but IMO, well worth the effort. Overall costs is about the same as the Tsportline bumper and this is done without modifying the hood. I also painted the rocker panels and rear bumper moldings to keep it consistent with the refresh Model S.

You can probably setup a nice business doing this for others since you know what to do now and have done all the research :)

Reactions: darxsys and Shadnic

That looks awesome. I really need to get off my @ss and do this.

Whoa, that looks amazing, congrats! How did you go about sourcing all the parts?

And..when you say it cost as much as the tsportline bumper, do you mean the whole process (parts+installation) or just parts themselves cost about $2k?

Everything costed less than $2k actually and I did all of the install myself. It was much easier than I thought and this was the first time taking my bumper apart. I purchased the parts from eBay and local yards that had model s parts. Paint was $800 so in the end, cheaper than going aftermarket. I think going OEM route will also maintain the value of the car too.

Reactions: mambro
You can probably setup a nice business doing this for others since you know what to do now and have done all the research :)

I was actually considering this since I love working on cars but I don’t know if it would be worth my time since I freelance and my hourly rate would probably make this whole retrofit unreasonable. But I would be more than willing to answer any questions for those looking to do the same bumper upgrade path.

Reactions: byeLT4
I was actually considering this since I love working on cars but I don’t know if it would be worth my time since I freelance and my hourly rate would probably make this whole retrofit unreasonable. But I would be more than willing to answer any questions for those looking to do the same bumper upgrade path.

Out of curiosity (as if fooling myself that I'd actually have the skill to do this on my own) how many hours of work did it take?

Good luck... read Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn’s (of the Cleveland Clinic) book about preventing and reversing heart disease. Could well save your life - and rapidly speed up your recovery!
Thanks for the advice! I will have to look that up. Spent 4 weeks 2 days in medical jail which turned into a quadruple bypass. Now comes the long recovery...

Still looking for 2 more sensors for the bumper. China has a set of 4 for cheap but takes months to get them. Can't drive yet so may as well just get them ordered.

Reactions: Nick B
Out of curiosity (as if fooling myself that I'd actually have the skill to do this on my own) how many hours of work did it take?

I think you’ll be surprised how easy it is to swap bumper covers. It took me about 6 hours for the install but I think I’ll be able to it much faster now that I know where all of the parts go. Feel free to reach out if you need help! There are a few others on this forum that helped me as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shadnic
I've seen a few different options for the refresh front fascia for the Model S and I was wondering which option is the best from an aesthetic and cost perspective. Is it possible to retrofit the OEM front bumper or would that not work seamlessly with the radar unit placement of the nosecone cars?
unplugged....
20190326_084904.jpg

I actually just bought an Unplugged refresh fascia! It got delivered today.

I purchased a used 2015 Model S 70 from Tesla and they damaged the front bumper during delivery, so they were already paying for the labor to repair it. I asked the body shop if I could substitute in a bumper I provided within the same labor cost, and they said yes! Dropping off the car on Monday, let's see how it goes... fingers crossed.
same, 2015 70...unplugged refresh

Good luck... read Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn’s (of the Cleveland Clinic) book about preventing and reversing heart disease. Could well save your life - and rapidly speed up your recovery!

Dr. Esselstyn's way works. I'm a personal testament. It will reverse your heart disease and lower the chance of having a major cardiac event down to 0.6% (as opposed to 20% normally based on many studies). You'll see a lot of info on Youtube about him, too. Highly recommended to read the book.

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari