Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best Model S refresh front fascia option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on the ankle catcher you have,you may need one of those flat ratchet wrenches. If you have the metal ankle catcher there is a bolt at the top that is in a pretty tight space. If you have the plastic ankle catcher you won’t need it.
IMG_20200516_164447.jpg
IMG_20200516_164453.jpg
IMG_20200516_134416.jpg

Great work everyone and thanks for the idea of using the Model X T-badge. I didn't see any tips on how to best install it so here's my ghetto rig below. Eventually, I want to replace the hood with a refreshed one so this way of installing that doesn't involve warping the front grill. Once I have the new hood installed, I plan on installing the original Model S T-badge again.

Cut off the end of the T-badge mount. This will extend over the latch if you don't and do not cut any further if you want to mount the cover back on the T-badge. Also be prepared to cut through the metal plate that's underneath. Don't mind all of the melted plastic... I was seeing if the metal plate was placed throughout the T-badge mount. (it is)
IMG_9654.jpg

Next, I needed to remove the hump below the T-badge to sit flat on top of the grill. I did this with a soldering iron with cutting blade and you'll be able to cut down to the metal.

IMG_9656.jpg

IMG_9657.jpg

I then drilled through the T-badge to create a mounting point for the rectangular hole already present on top of the plastic grill and used a nut, bolt and washer to mount. By trial error, I marked the T-badge with a red dot on where to drill if you wanted the option of sliding the T-badge flush with the hood or slightly extended passed it.
IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

The rectangular hole in the grill will allow about a 1/2" to slide the T-badge and after I aligned it where I wanted it, I then placed the cover back on the T-badge and called it a day. I included pictures of what it looks like flush and extended for reference. I personally like it a bit extended.
IMG_9668.jpg

IMG_9669.jpg

IMG_9670.jpg

IMG_9731.jpg

Lastly, a side by side comparison with the factory refresh.
IMG_9947.jpg

So I went out for a drive the other day and received this message:

Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable
Features maybe restored on next drive

I've taken a few more drives since then and nothing has changed. I think the radar has to be re-calibrated since I changed the bumper.

Now my issue is how are they going to do this? I have that steel mesh grill in front of the radar. Are they going to refuse to fix this since I changed the bumper?

I've taken a few more drives since then and nothing has changed. I think the radar has to be re-calibrated since I changed the bumper.

Now my issue is how are they going to do this? I have that steel mesh grill in front of the radar. Are they going to refuse to fix this since I changed the bumper?
When you say nothing has changed, do you mean autopilot is still unavailable? So you get this message every time you drive? On MCU2 this is similar to the message you see when Tesla thinks you are not paying attention and have not produced enogh torque on the steering.

When you say nothing has changed, do you mean autopilot is still unavailable? So you get this message every time you drive? On MCU2 this is similar to the message you see when you have ignored responding to the awareness torque request on the steering.

Yes still same message appears even after a couple days and multiple drives. I know what you're saying about appearing when you ignore the alerts to keep hands on the wheel, but that's not the case here. I never had autopilot enabled when the message appeared.

Yes still same message appears even after a couple days and multiple drives. I know what you're saying about appearing when you ignore the alerts to keep hands on the wheel, but that's not the case here. I never had autopilot enabled when the message appeared.
Did this happen right after the bumper change? Has anything else changed between the bumper change and receiving the error message?

Yeah you need to bring the car to SC to re-calibrate it since the radar had moved. Cost around $200.

You cant have a mesh grill in front of the radar!! I had to do some trimming around mine. I am having some complains as a couple of my bumper sensors are now not flush/on angles due to the short distance of the cabling. I will remove and re-do the 3m tape and see if I can get them to sit perfectly flush and secure.

You cant have a mesh grill in front of the radar!! I had to do some trimming around mine. I am having some complains as a couple of my bumper sensors are now not flush/on angles due to the short distance of the cabling. I will remove and re-do the 3m tape and see if I can get them to sit perfectly flush and secure.

So yeah, I had a feeling this would happen and thought a couple times about not doing it. Unfortunately, I went ahead with it even given my hesitancy since I didn't really have a viable alternative and because I liked how it looked. Anyway, what's done is done. I will order the refreshed part for that area and make it work around the radar. That part is a little pricey too.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911