Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best option to get a half-year car before I can get the AWD model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already got the invitation for configuring LR model 3 about 2 months ago (model s owner), but I plan to use it mainly for commuting (~20 miles per day) and really don't need that long range, so I'm waiting for mid-year AWD though it's just an Elon time:)
Recently, I need a second car for daily commute (my wife drives the model s), so I'm considering what's the ideal option for getting a half-year car for commute before the AWD 3 come out, did some research and appreciate any comments and opinions!
- Option1: monthly rental via drivecanvas, ~$500/month for a ford fusion, or ~$650 for Mustang (including insurance)
- Option2: take a 6 months lease from swapalease, $400 - $500/month for bmw 3 series, excluding gas and insurance.
- Option3: bmw i3 has a $10k extra discount this month for PG&E customers, just talked to a local dealer and it's possible to get a $46k i3 down to $23k (including tax and all rebates and discounts), if I buy one then sell it after 6 months without much loss, is that possible?
- Option4: just get the long-range model 3 and pay the extra $9k?
Thanks for your advice in advance!

Reactions: Toph
Would you consider buying something used, like a Leaf or Volt? Should be short term, then sell for minimal loss since it's already used.

I'm interpreting your post to mean you'd be interested in a smaller battery Model 3 with AWD. Do we know Tesla will offer that combination? My guess is they'll open up AWD LR first, then RWD SR, then AWD SR. (Then drop the AWD SR to promote LR sales. I hope I'm wrong.) Of course P models in there somewhere too, maybe before SR.

PS - I haven't spent much time in Model 3 forums. Are they calling the non-LR the SR? "Standard Range"?

I'll second the recommendation for a used EV to use as a run-about either temporarily or long-term. We picked up a used Fiat 500e with under 10,000 miles for $8,000 last March and it's been fantastic. We'll keep it when the Model 3 comes to use as a run-about. It'll save miles on the Model 3 (preserving resale value) and also protect it from evil shopping center parking lots and the dents and dings that go with them.

Reactions: Msjulie and Pkmmte
I would also not count on AWD SR until next year. They're going to try to sell as many LR models as they possibly can before selling any SR. I like the idea of the short term lease except I imagine there's going to be a lot of paperwork.

Would you consider buying something used, like a Leaf or Volt? Should be short term, then sell for minimal loss since it's already used.

I'm interpreting your post to mean you'd be interested in a smaller battery Model 3 with AWD. Do we know Tesla will offer that combination? My guess is they'll open up AWD LR first, then RWD SR, then AWD SR. (Then drop the AWD SR to promote LR sales. I hope I'm wrong.) Of course P models in there somewhere too, maybe before SR.

PS - I haven't spent much time in Model 3 forums. Are they calling the non-LR the SR? "Standard Range"?

Thanks, haven't yet taken a look the used ev cars, maybe there are some good deals.
I'm not sure what's the production order neither the timing, so it's hard to say how long I need to wait for the standard AWD.

I'll second the recommendation for a used EV to use as a run-about either temporarily or long-term. We picked up a used Fiat 500e with under 10,000 miles for $8,000 last March and it's been fantastic. We'll keep it when the Model 3 comes to use as a run-about. It'll save miles on the Model 3 (preserving resale value) and also protect it from evil shopping center parking lots and the dents and dings that go with them.
Good idea, thanks!

I would not do #4. I know it's tempting and you'd make my wait one car shorter :D. However if you got your invite 2 months ago and given a mid-2018 delivery date, you're pretty early in the wait for AWD. I'm waiting too but at the tail end and only got my invite on 2/14, end of owners. You wanted AWD and I really believe their timeline is pretty accurate (I'm late 2018 after being switched from Aug-Oct 2018). And remember the first delivery line you were in is a lot shorter with probably 75% of those opting for First Production.

So far my aging ICE car is holding up but I've had similar thoughts should it not during my wait. In my case I could get by with us having one car and it would be inconvenient at worst. Guess it would depend on how many months that would be. Your wait would be several months shorter than mine and it's already March. If you buy a used car don't forget to factor in the sales tax and the licensing fees that will be a loss.

I would not do #4. I know it's tempting and you'd make my wait one car shorter :D. However if you got your invite 2 months ago and given a mid-2018 delivery date, you're pretty early in the wait for AWD. I'm waiting too but at the tail end and only got my invite on 2/14, end of owners. You wanted AWD and I really believe their timeline is pretty accurate (I'm late 2018 after being switched from Aug-Oct 2018). And remember the first delivery line you were in is a lot shorter with probably 75% of those opting for First Production.

So far my aging ICE car is holding up but I've had similar thoughts should it not during my wait. In my case I could get by with us having one car and it would be inconvenient at worst. Guess it would depend on how many months that would be. Your wait would be several months shorter than mine and it's already March. If you buy a used car don't forget to factor in the sales tax and the licensing fees that will be a loss.

I'm also a little optimistic about the timeline. yes, so a short-term lease can avoid the sales tax.

Thanks, but I saw all of them are at least 15 months remaining nearby ...
You can transfer once you get your 3, again.

I got my Volt on lease last year knowing I'll have to transfer the lease once I got 3. Infact, that was the reason I got a GM plugin (Nissan doesn't allow clean transfers).

The other option is to simply get a new lease and then transfer it when you get 3.

I agree with others that the AWD SR will be the last car in line, if it ever is produced at all. Not spending money on 6 months to a year of lease/rental, plus not spending money on the AWD that you probably don't need in a place called Sunnyvale, CA makes the LR $9000 go away, so the LR feature is free.

M3LR now.

Reactions: Big Earl
You can transfer once you get your 3, again.

I got my Volt on lease last year knowing I'll have to transfer the lease once I got 3. Infact, that was the reason I got a GM plugin (Nissan doesn't allow clean transfers).

The other option is to simply get a new lease and then transfer it when you get 3.
That'll be good, thanks!
But how do you think about the option 3? ~$23k for buying a new i3, and resale it after 6 or 12 months?