Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best way to charge with RV 5-30?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vandacca

ReActive Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hamilton
I just spent the weekend at a campsite that I visit every year. I mistakenly thought it was a 10-30 and when I tried to plug in, it wouldn't fit. Upon closer inspection, it's actually a RV 5-30 (or 5-30R or TT30).
GiV8xUv.jpg

Not sure if it's clear from the photo, but it is clearly labelled "30A 125V". I currently have every single Tesla adapter, but they don't seem to sell a 5-30 adapter.

Any suggestions on a safe way to plug a Tesla into this and get the full 30A? What kind of an adapter do I need to buy/build?

Thanks,
--Dan

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's indeed the TT30. This will be standard at all campgrounds that have 30A service for smaller campers and motorhome. You'll also find many campgrounds with 50A service that do provide the NEMA 14-5 (as well as the TT30).

Folks have shown you some options. And when camping, just plug the car in the 120V plugs and enjoy nature and stay out of the car. A long weekend should result in a charged car. Or pay the few dollars extra for 50A service and you can plug the car and the camper in.

It's indeed the TT30. This will be standard at all campgrounds that have 30A service for smaller campers and motorhome. You'll also find many campgrounds with 50A service that do provide the NEMA 14-5 (as well as the TT30).
Folks have shown you some options. And when camping, just plug the car in the 120V plugs and enjoy nature and stay out of the car. A long weekend should result in a charged car. Or pay the few dollars extra for 50A service and you can plug the car and the camper in.

It is not great, because it is only 120V. But if you can live with less than 3 Kw charging rate it will eventually work.

That will not work--Period. It is wired in a way that the Tesla charging cable cannot use. Any of those camping adapters from various sites won't work. Here's why:
They are taking the single Hot line from the outlet and putting it onto both of the hot pins of the 14-50 outlet. That would basically work for a motor home, because all they are doing is trying to draw 120V loads from either of those pins. But because the Tesla charging system is looking at the Hot1 and Hot2 pins to try to see a voltage difference, it sees the exact same phase on both sides, and so there is a 0V difference between them, and it just can't do anything with that.

So, the other kinds of adapters that are made for EV charging are doing a workaround of taking the Hot and Neutral from the TT-30 outlet and putting those two on the Hot1 and Hot2 to create an actual 120V difference that the car can see.

So go for one of those adapters that @Tam linked to. EVSEAdapters is a great company that makes these ones that act just like the native Tesla-supplied adapters for your charge cable, and they properly signal the right amount of amps to the car, without your having to manually dial anything in.

That will not work--Period. It is wired in a way that the Tesla charging cable cannot use. Any of those camping adapters from various sites won't work. Here's why:
They are taking the single Hot line from the outlet and putting it onto both of the hot pins of the 14-50 outlet. That would basically work for a motor home, because all they are doing is trying to draw 120V loads from either of those pins. But because the Tesla charging system is looking at the Hot1 and Hot2 pins to try to see a voltage difference, it sees the exact same phase on both sides, and so there is a 0V difference between them, and it just can't do anything with that.

So, the other kinds of adapters that are made for EV charging are doing a workaround of taking the Hot and Neutral from the TT-30 outlet and putting those two on the Hot1 and Hot2 to create an actual 120V difference that the car can see.

So go for one of those adapters that @Tam linked to. EVSEAdapters is a great company that makes these ones that act just like the native Tesla-supplied adapters for your charge cable, and they properly signal the right amount of amps to the car, without your having to manually dial anything in.

That is all true, but it is a pretty simple modification to re-wire the Camco adapter to work for Tesla charging. A big permanent label FOR EV USE ONLY is prudent. I made one up, but have never used it.

I would prefer to buy the below $85 Gen2 or $65 Gen1 TT-30 direct hookup from your outlet to your mobile unit rather than through another short piece of unequaled Ampere cable.

It surely costs more but it's safer:

1) internal circuit that monitors the plug temperature
2) Automatically setting your car to 24A maximum

$85 Gen2 version

tt-30-gen2_1024x1024.jpg

$65 Gen1 version

tt-30-to-tesla_1024x1024.jpg
The one I linked to earlier definitely will not work. Where can I find the Gen-1 version above? I don't see it on the Canadian Tesla Store.