Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best way to switch 2021 Model 3 and wanting to change to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Tesla is taking advantage of us. I see a 2020 model 3 standard range plus with FSD in Tesla inventory sold at 46k. It has much more mileage than mine. removing the FSD worth 8k, it can still be valued 38k.. Tesla buys super low from us and sell extremely high. Recommend anyone considering Tesla think twice before buying.
Tesla is NOT taking advantage of you. They are offering you a price. You can take it or leave it. Sell it privately and learn from your mistake.

$3,700 sales tax credit on a $30k trade? You must live in a high sales tax state/city.

You're basically looking at $33,700 through Tesla which means you'd want to get at least that selling privately or to a dealer. I'd recommend you next get quotes from Carvana, CarMax, etc. Seeing some of the high Carvana retail asking prices, you may be pleasantly surprised by their purchase offer.

+1 on Carvana. They have been great. This is how I swapped our our Ford Explorer to get a Model Y. I was also looking at upgrading my 2019 M3 LR RWD for the 2021 M3 AWD and they offer more than Tesla. I think I'm going to stick with my RWD though - trying to learn to be content LOL

This all sounds like you're going to take a huge financial hit for not doing your research properly. Of course, people's situations change, you might have some really good reasons for needing to do this, but often it's just bad or no research. Do you REALLY need the extra space? Driving around more than 5 people more than once a week? Many people tend to overestimate the amount of car that's really necessary to them. There are tons of minivans being driven around that are basically completely empty 95% of the time. If someone needs some extra space for all their gear on a road trip, often it's more economical (and fun) to just rent something bigger on those rare occasions. Bottom line - do more research before making big financial choices like this!

simply just need to carry more ppl. Model x is too costly.
You do realize that these are both 5 seaters? Those extra seats are only kid friendly at best. Unless you had some surprise kids...

Last edited:
Hi

I live in the US. I have a 2021 Model 3 Standard Range Plus (with less than 1500 mileage and 2.5-month ownership) and want to change to Model Y 7 due to the size. I purchased the Model 3 with loan. What's the best way to buy the Model Y?

Sell/trade-in the Model 3 and buy/lease Model Y? The trade-in value from Tesla.com is very low. Thinking to sell to private party. Any suggestions? Thanks!
For the heck of it, I did a price quote with Carvana and Vroom. Carvana couldn't give me a price and asked me to call their agent. Vroom offered $32,800.
2021 M3 SR+ Midnight Silver Metallic with 950 miles in NY.