Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best Wh/mi you've seen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the consumption screen was broken by 2023.8.6 and then fixed with 2023.12.1 I went on a drive yesterday to check and my 15 mile consumption was 161 wh/mi, which is about 30% better than rated. My 5 mile would go as low as 141wh/mi, which is just incredible. I'd get over 300 miles on a charge in my 2021 SR+ if I could keep that up. The roads were flat, temps in the 60s, not windy, pace was pretty casual, around 50 on the highway due to the normal Brooklyn traffic. Generally I'd see just around rated 205 if driving around the city, and about 230wh/mi when on longer trips on an interstate doing 70+. I don't think that is unusual.

So what is the best usage you've seen? (And mention which model too so we have a basis).

That's why it surprised me so much, it was level ground, no downhill.

Well no other response in 9 hours I guess nobody is intereted. I've been finding that with all the forums (fora?) I frequent, they are all dead quiet.

This is on level ground, you can see the water and it follows it from somewhere near Coney Island out to JFK. There are a couple of low bridges but they net out to zero. The 15 mile was showing about 160, but the 30 mile still had the impact of the bug from 2023.6.8 in it. At that point the traffic had slowed but it had been moving until then. I was getting closer to JFK, which always has traffic.
E9821524-D6F2-4AA7-82C6-BE5E89E2B300_1_105_c.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I have seen a thread like this before here, and if I remember, more than one person posted a negative number because they captured it going down hill. I realize thats not what you are talking about, but this being the internet and all, thats what I remember.

None of these threads have any meaningful info without two things: one, all trips must be roundtrips! and two, photographic evidence.

These really make a good point... even trips that are "level ground" might not really be. Round-trips going back the same way would resolve that... but you still have potential for tailwinds, drafting behind larger vehicles, etc all reducing your consumption.

I can get under rated consumption of 234 wh/m but still don't think I can get 358 miles out of a full battery. Maybe I got a lemon battery.

1683304233917.jpeg

• Funny
This is today's commute. Didn't do anything special. It was colder in the morning, around 50F, then warmer in the afternoon 60s, so afternoon number was better driving 10mi home. Not to mention, altitude drops going home, while it's up leaving home. Ha, forgot, I still have winter snow-rated tires on the car, since I went skiing as recently as last Friday. I'll rotate this weekend.
IMG_8215.jpeg

DAMN! you folks are are rock stars! We drive our M3LR like we stole it. Over 10K miles our average is 243!

My cars lifetime (70+k miles) is 246-247. But in stop n go traffic, with a light right foot and the HVAC turned off, it is pretty easy to drive at sub-200. I saw a 5-mile average of 107 a few days ago on fairly level ground. But that was unusual.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
This is one way as I took a different route home. City streets. About a -150ft. elevation change over the almost 10 miles. Temp on HVAC around ambient so very little load on it and no wind. So, favorable conditions but I was still impressed.

Did not do anything special except I accelerated somewhat gently. Made sure the size power bar did not ever exceed the size of the regen bar.

IMG_0153.jpeg

• Informative
Well I win with 295. While you guys are driving like an egg is under the pedal,
I am already at the hotel bar with car plugged in. Take the crocs off and get some
steel toed shoes. If I can go 100mph, well then. It is a known fact that the faster
you drive, the faster you get to s superduper charger and off you go, keep the battery hot
I say. Very few cars pass me. Or roll down a hill or two.
Never mind.
I cant drive 55.

Less than 2000 miles in a 6 month span? You need to drive more ;-) Although I can't dis you too much as since I have been working from home, I am less than 5k per year. My May 2019 M3LR just hit 20k.
That would be the last 7 weeks, since March 15. I just reset it every 6 months, so I can see my warm weather average and my cold weather average.

I assume the word "best" in the title means lowest. I drove like a grandpa today, trying to get Wh/m as low as possible in my Feb 2022 MSLR. The lowest was 211 Wh/m. The avg for the multiple stop round trip was 224 Wh/m. How do I get that Wh/m display on the energy app. It only showed battery % consumption. I touched all but the right spot (my curse) on the screen to get Wh/m.
20230506_123431.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative