Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best Wh/mi you've seen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the consumption screen was broken by 2023.8.6 and then fixed with 2023.12.1 I went on a drive yesterday to check and my 15 mile consumption was 161 wh/mi, which is about 30% better than rated. My 5 mile would go as low as 141wh/mi, which is just incredible. I'd get over 300 miles on a charge in my 2021 SR+ if I could keep that up. The roads were flat, temps in the 60s, not windy, pace was pretty casual, around 50 on the highway due to the normal Brooklyn traffic. Generally I'd see just around rated 205 if driving around the city, and about 230wh/mi when on longer trips on an interstate doing 70+. I don't think that is unusual.

So what is the best usage you've seen? (And mention which model too so we have a basis).
The best I've seen on the 15 minute screen? +999

The worse that I've seen? -999.

4,000 ft up a mountain and 4,000 ft down the mountain.

2021 3LR AWD with 56k miles. Daily 110mi commute with 90% of the mileage on the interstate at 70-80mph and 18in wheels without aero covers. 265wh/mi. Charged it to 100% two weeks ago and the guess-o-meter estimated 341mi range. This is with the wheel configurator without the aero covers.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I just did the same trip that I originally did a few weeks ago, out to JFK and back, and my lowest 5 mile average usage was 123! This was on level ground, on the mud flats surrounding JFK, and in moderately slow traffic. Temp outside was 70, with little wind. My battery/range meter said 124 but my estimated range based on the actual usage was over 200. I'm beginning to think that the algorithm that is being used still isn't quite right as I've been driving this route the entire time I've owned the car and it was never this low before.

B3439C55-927E-48A3-AC14-E1B3ADB2A697_1_105_c.jpeg

Not round trip, unfortunately, and I wasn't coming down a mountain or anything, but I did lose 446 ft of elevation over 47 miles of hilly terrain. A/C was on, but didn't have to do much because it was a cool morning. Mostly 45-55 mph speed limits. 2023 RWD.

IMG_1590.jpeg

• Informative
That's why it surprised me so much, it was level ground, no downhill.

Well no other response in 9 hours I guess nobody is intereted. I've been finding that with all the forums (fora?) I frequent, they are all dead quiet.
It's also because us old timers have discussed this when we first got our cars and I guess it no longer matters to us in the big scheme of things. I rarely look at my Wh/Mi anymore.

• Funny
2020 M3P Avg 198 wh/mi when viewed on the 30 mile consumption currently at 50k miles lifetime of 263wh/mi
2023 M3 RWD Avg 146 wh/mi when viewed on the 30 mile consumption currently at 3k miles lifetime of 225wh/mi
Both same 20 mile route to work for the 30 mile consumption, the 2020 I've only had for 3 weeks, 2023 since new

Here you can see yesterday's drive at 139 Wh/km

Last summer's average was 137 Wh/km and last winter's average was 185 Wh/km
Model 3 RWD 2022 with LFP battery

EPA rated is 159 Wh/km (255 Wh/mi) combined City/highway
So I'm not complaining!

IMG_4784.jpg

• Informative
When I bought my 2015 S 70 used four years ago, it had 148,000 miles. I've gone 30,000 miles in that time and averaged 256 wh/mi.

I came to this thread expecting most of you to be averaging 300 wh/mi or something like that. And I was going to claim (and provide a photo as proof) that I am almost down to 250 wh/mi and you all were going to be so impressed. But it turns out that most of you are blowing me out of the water with your 219 or 184 or negative 100.

I do everything right - no jack rabbit starts, tires at correct psi, almost never speed. I don't even use the cabin heater when it gets cold - I use the seat warmers. I was real impressed with my numbers until I came across this thread. Now I feel so mediocre.

My best is 136 wh/mi on my 12 mile highway commute. It is through a construction zone almost the whole way so speed it limited to about 55 mph. This is with a 2022 Model 3 Performance on 18” wheels and 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO AS tires.

My lifetime average is 260 wh/mi even with all of the track time I have done. I can easily average less than 220 wh/mi now. Tires make a gigantic difference for efficiency especially at slower speeds even for the Performance models.

IMG_2309.jpeg
IMG_2882.jpeg

Reactions: wws and zoomer0056
I do everything right - no jack rabbit starts, tires at correct psi, almost never speed. I don't even use the cabin heater when it gets cold - I use the seat warmers. I was real impressed with my numbers until I came across this thread. Now I feel so mediocre.
Take everything posted in here with a huge grain of salt. There are SO many variables that affect it.

I think the biggest factor is self-judgement of the driving. Someone could average 70 MPH on the freeway and think they're driving too fast and others will be doing 75 MPH and think they are being slow and cautious. Same with acceleration: the person who thinks they accelerate "calmly" could be quicker than than someone who think they are aggressive. This isn't meant as a poke at anyone or any style of driving: it is all human nature.

George-Carlin-driving.jpg

I wonder if I could make it from near the TN/NC border to Wilmington NC(339 miles) without stopping to charge in my 2022 Model 3 Performance?

It is 70+ mph almost the whole way so that would hurt my efficiency but I am getting some pretty incredible efficiency with a 60 mph average. Plus you come down the mountains in the first part of the trip.

Honestly, I think I could probably do 400+ miles on a charge if I started at elevation and had no degradation in the battery.

IMG_2936.jpeg
IMG_2940.jpeg