Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the current situation with regards to yellowing Instrument Cluster displays (Not MCU)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my yellow MCU screen remedied with the UV Treatment. Service fought it tooth and nail with all sorts of BS and finally fixed it with the UV treatment after I refused to back down that this is a defect they need to fix. I'm happy after much hassle the situation is essentially "fixed."

Now my instrument cluster has developed a hideously ugly orange brownish border around the display and it is getting worse.

Could someone please share the best approach for getting this rectified? What's the latest in getting a defective instrument cluster with an orange border fixed? Has someone had this resolved recently?

I appreciate any advice on getting this fixed!

Here is what i bought for the MCU screen, its the same fix for the other screen. Just cut out a cardboard box and you'll be good to go. let it sit overnight and you'll be good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X8ZVJSS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71Ic2i1REML.jpg Untitled.png

Reactions: D.E. and 1speed
Beautifully explained (for nails) instructions:
>>Product Features: Built-in 4pcs 9W electronic lamp, adjustable 120 seconds timing or long bright, most commonly used in the gel nails dry quickly. Usage This lamp has a long bright and timing two tranches, regular time for 120 seconds.
Black button on the upper part of the lamp has three stalls, the middle circle File for the stop, a file for the long bright bars, two bars file for timing, the red switch is timed button.
Switch to the two horizontal black Timing bar, then click the red button. Timing lights for lighting status, time after lights automatically turn off.
1, the first plug on both sides of the tube, then plug in the middle.
2, with your fingers inside the tube inserted metal interface place (remember not to seize the cap, so it is easy to insert the tube bad), insert the time to hear "click Light" sound, indicating plugged in, the light jiggle it, the lamp motionless, it shows no problem. Lamps tips
1, the body must be flat. To stabilize the power cord, or easily broken lamp, oh.
2, light therapy and other items should not be placed next to glue phototherapy lamp Phototherapy lamp beside the power cord has a black button, that screwed up inside a fuse.
Fuse play a role in protecting the lamp. This section phototherapy lamp / light therapy light therapy machine with good armor shaping function, 36W nail shop special light therapy machine, the normal exposure time to two minutes, with a timer function, whether it is used or with his nail shops are the best<<

Thanks for the instructions!

Any option for Tesla to fix this like the MCU display?

You literally fix it the same way as the MCU screen. Get a UV light and let it sit there overnight. There are dozens of threads on fixing the yellow on the MCU, the small screen is exactly the same method of fixing.

If you want Tesla to fix it you better be under warranty or else you're gonna paymore than you'd pay on Amazon for the nail light.

You literally fix it the same way as the MCU screen. Get a UV light and let it sit there overnight. There are dozens of threads on fixing the yellow on the MCU, the small screen is exactly the same method of fixing.

If you want Tesla to fix it you better be under warranty or else you're gonna paymore than you'd pay on Amazon for the nail light.

I appreciate the advice. I am under warranty and I would like Tesla to fix the screen defect.

Has anyone managed to get Tesla to fix the ICU discoloration recently? I did get the MCU discoloration remedied but it took over a year of asking.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
It used to take a long time, because Tesla needed to make an effective fix, design a useful device and get them out to all their service centers and get the technicians trained.

They tried many other fixes prior to ending up with the strong UV light. They used software to dim the yellow area, tried different backgrounds, lowered the pixel intensity where the yellow showed, changed the color of the lighting.

Typically an easy area to complain about, but getting to a proper and effective solution with cost effectiveness is more challenging that people wish to comprehend...

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
As another point of reference, a friend of mine had his instrument cluster screen fixed via the UV treatment at our local service center, in Rocklin, CA. So, there is a know fix and the hardware exists. I used to live out near Philly, and bought my first Tesla at the Devon Tesla location. At the time, that service center was excellent. Maybe revisit this with them in person? If they tell you there isn't a known fix, they're either misinformed or not being honest.

I'm impressed with all who have managed to engineer their own fixes, but to me it ludicrous that this homegrown innovation has been necessary. Tesla really needs to stand behind their products better.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
As another point of reference, a friend of mine had his instrument cluster screen fixed via the UV treatment at our local service center, in Rocklin, CA. So, there is a know fix and the hardware exists. I used to live out near Philly, and bought my first Tesla at the Devon Tesla location. At the time, that service center was excellent. Maybe revisit this with them in person? If they tell you there isn't a known fix, they're either misinformed or not being honest.

I'm impressed with all who have managed to engineer their own fixes, but to me it ludicrous that this homegrown innovation has been necessary. Tesla really needs to stand behind their products better.

Thanks. This is super useful.

Yeah I really want Tesla to fix the discoloring/defective display.

If the car was out of warranty it would be one thing but this needs to be remedied under warranty.

Good to know there's a DIY fix. I didn't realize the instrument cluster (behind the steering wheel) is also susceptible. So far, our May 2019-build Raven S is not exhibiting any yellowing around the border of either display. I was expecting it to happen by now since a colleague's 2018 100D had the yellowing after just 11-months. An SC tech told him excessive cabin heat leads to the yellowing, but I'm thinking shouldn't Cabin Overheat Protection guard against this?? For what it's worth, I do have all my windows tinted, have COP enabled, as well as always use a quality sunshade on the windshield, and park in the shade whenever it's safe to do so.

Beautifully explained (for nails) instructions:
>>Product Features: Built-in 4pcs 9W electronic lamp, adjustable 120 seconds timing or long bright, most commonly used in the gel nails dry quickly. Usage This lamp has a long bright and timing two tranches, regular time for 120 seconds.
Black button on the upper part of the lamp has three stalls, the middle circle File for the stop, a file for the long bright bars, two bars file for timing, the red switch is timed button.
Switch to the two horizontal black Timing bar, then click the red button. Timing lights for lighting status, time after lights automatically turn off.
1, the first plug on both sides of the tube, then plug in the middle.
2, with your fingers inside the tube inserted metal interface place (remember not to seize the cap, so it is easy to insert the tube bad), insert the time to hear "click Light" sound, indicating plugged in, the light jiggle it, the lamp motionless, it shows no problem. Lamps tips
1, the body must be flat. To stabilize the power cord, or easily broken lamp, oh.
2, light therapy and other items should not be placed next to glue phototherapy lamp Phototherapy lamp beside the power cord has a black button, that screwed up inside a fuse.
Fuse play a role in protecting the lamp. This section phototherapy lamp / light therapy light therapy machine with good armor shaping function, 36W nail shop special light therapy machine, the normal exposure time to two minutes, with a timer function, whether it is used or with his nail shops are the best<<
Are these the actual instructions? Or is that a google translate from some other language?