Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the deal with ceramic coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had never even heard of ceramic coating until I ordered my Model 3 and started poking around on this forum. I've seen references to it in several threads, but I'm still not clear on what the benefits are. Could someone give me a brief explanation?

Also, in case I decide I'm interested, can anyone recommend a good shop for ceramic coating in the Dallas area?

Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
It's a harder coating that essentially acts like a repellent to dust, bugs, and other gross stuff. Most coatings also are very hydrophobic, so water beads off them very easily (which also tends to be why dust comes off easily). Basically, think of it like a semi-permanent wax on your car.

For a professional coating, it usually ends up being $3-5k, and they are supposed to last ~5 years.

Things it WON'T protect from: door dings, rock chips, or scratching.

Honestly, I don't think they're worthwhile. It's a lot of money, and you still get rock chips all the same. Sure, your car tends to look a lot nicer, but so does waxing your car every once in awhile.

I've noticed a trend regarding everyone talking about them: This same thing happens whenever a brand new car is released ANYWHERE. Super enthusiast folks show up and want to make sure their car looks super shiny all the time, so they pay for these coatings and talk about them and document them extensively. Same thing with the protective film people.

I can tell you I saw the same threads showing up on the Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS fan forums right after release of the car back in 2013. This was a 25k car, and people were getting ~3k coating on that car too. Not too many of those threads these days over there...

It's basically a tougher alternative to wax with better water repellent properties. You can get good, if not quite as long lasting results with DIY application (around $50 between the coating and cleaning supplies for prep), though the process is somewhat laborious.

Thanks, for the response. $3k to $5k is not even in the conversation for me; I would just take my chances. Since my post, I checked online and there's a place near me that does ceramic coating starting at $250. Is that one of those things where the price is suspiciously low (i.e., so low that you have to question the quality of the work)?

It's a harder coating that essentially acts like a repellent to dust, bugs, and other gross stuff. Most coatings also are very hydrophobic, so water beads off them very easily (which also tends to be why dust comes off easily). Basically, think of it like a semi-permanent wax on your car.

For a professional coating, it usually ends up being $3-5k, and they are supposed to last ~5 years.

Things it WON'T protect from: door dings, rock chips, or scratching.

Honestly, I don't think they're worthwhile. It's a lot of money, and you still get rock chips all the same. Sure, your car tends to look a lot nicer, but so does waxing your car every once in awhile.

I've noticed a trend regarding everyone talking about them: This same thing happens whenever a brand new car is released ANYWHERE. Super enthusiast folks show up and want to make sure their car looks super shiny all the time, so they pay for these coatings and talk about them and document them extensively. Same thing with the protective film people.

I can tell you I saw the same threads showing up on the Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS fan forums right after release of the car back in 2013. This was a 25k car, and people were getting ~3k coating on that car too. Not too many of those threads these days over there...

Maybe it's a Texas thing, but those prices are a lot higher than what we pay in So. Cal. I got mine for $1,200, but the majority of that cost was for the color correction (black MS w/lots of swirls from the factory). It's good for 3-years and cost and told the cost to reapply will be ~$350.

I've had the coating for 18-months and it still beads & shines like new despite driving 80-miles each day on the freeway and parking the car in the sun/sand-blasted Riverside County hell-hole everyday (hint: there's no river). Makes washing much, much easier - foam gun, rinse, leaf blower :D.

Think of it as heavy duty synthetic wax you only need to reapply every 2-3 years. I got it because I can't keep up with regular waxings.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Thanks, for the response. $3k to $5k is not even in the conversation for me;

Maybe it's a Texas thing, but those prices are a lot higher than what we pay in So. Cal. I got mine for $1,200

Yes, $3 - $5K is way high. I just had my entire car done (inside and out) with IGL, 5 year guarantee for a quoted price of $1,395 - I got a discount off of that for getting PPF and window tint at the same time.

From what I've read it does prevent rock chips better than wax or no protection at all. I have a similar commute as poster above at 75 miles, also with the car parked out in the open in Houston heat and lots of rain. I am heavily considering doing the coating and have seen costs of $500 (good for 1~2 years) to $990. $990 would be the more professionally done job using pro-level products (Feynlab self-healing coating) lasting ~5 years. The $500 job would be using products we can buy off the shelf.

Most of the cost is due to the labor required in prepping the car for the coating (wash, wash again, decontaminate, clay bar, paint correction, polish, alcohol wipe, then finally ceramic coating). If you are quoted $250 I'm guessing it's with consumer level products and no paint correction involved.

I had never even heard of ceramic coating until I ordered my Model 3 and started poking around on this forum. I've seen references to it in several threads, but I'm still not clear on what the benefits are. Could someone give me a brief explanation?

Also, in case I decide I'm interested, can anyone recommend a good shop for ceramic coating in the Dallas area?

Thanks.

Try 360 Wraps, Inc. in Dallas 360 WRAPS

They have multiple locations in TX and also one in SoCal. Great people, family run business.

Yes, $3 - $5K is way high. I just had my entire car done (inside and out) with IGL, 5 year guarantee for a quoted price of $1,395 - I got a discount off of that for getting PPF and window tint at the same time.

You're totally right - I rechecked and 5k is way too much. Maybe I was conflating that with PPF pricing (which can be that much from what I've seen for full wraps...).

Looking back through my notes, it was closer to 2k for the CQuartz Finest Reserve (and paint correction) and there's only one or two guys that does it in Austin area. From my research that was the stuff that was supposed to last the longest (I think they claim up to 10 years? who knows), but also carried the highest price tag.

Either way, since you're paying for paint correction even straight from the factory, that ends up being a substantial portion of the cost. Might as well use the best product right? No sense paying for $500-1000 in correction then use $250 in product in my opinion.

Ok so I live in Alaska. Cars are pretty much always dirty up here. Between 6-7 months of winter, spring “break up”, volcanic ash, glaceri silt... never clean. Also I’ll admit there are times I go 2-3 months without washing my car. Now that said I did ceramic pro on my Lexus LX570 2 years ago and for us it’s amazing. Dirt, bugs, tar, whatever dosnt really stick. It is also very difficult to scratch, off road my LX hard, run through alders nothing. If You are the type of person that is anal about having a perfect clean car I’m not sure what you would think. But for me I highly recommend ceramic pro, got it done on our 3 before it came home.

As for price everything is more in Alaska (and Hawaii). I paid $1800 for the “lifetime gold” for the 3 and $2400 for my Lexus. The LX570 was more since it wasn’t new so requires much more paint prep and it’s a larger vehicle.

Reactions: outdoors
I am considering protecting just the front bumper, which is the most exposed area.
I wonder was would be the best recommendation for the value? Ceramic coating, wrapping...
I would prefer order online and make it myself.

So from what I know of the ceramic is it has to be professionally done and it makes sense to do the entire vehicle. There is a 3M product that is used as a wrap that gives more rock protection that the front only can be done. However it is professional install as well. I got the front only 3M quoted it was $2k. They would have done a Package deal ceramic pro+ 3M front for $3500. Like a said I just did the ceramic pro, we have big rocks in AK and the roads tend to be covered in them so I didn’t think the 3M would do much.

Here is a data point from a shop in Raleigh.

"Paint protection film: The two coverage options for just the front of the car are, Partial Front End or Full Front End. Both include Hood/Fender, Bumper, Lights, Mirrors, Door Handles and Rear Loading Area.

With the Full Front End there is no visible line across any panel so it makes for a much more invisible installation, while the Partial Front End goes roughly 20 inches up the Hood.

Partial Front End - $950
Suntek PPF Ultra (10 Year Warranty)
3M Pro Series (10 Year Warranty)
Xpel Ultimate (10 Year Warranty)

Full Front End: $2,200
Suntek PPF Ultra (10 Year Warranty)
3M Pro Series (10 Year Warranty)
Xpel Ultimate (10 Year Warranty)

For ceramic coating we use two products -- CQuartz or GTechniq, both $900.
We request the vehicle for a two-day period, to ensure proper installation and drying time.

For Window Tinting we have 3 different options.
Suntek Carbon: $250 for a full car
Suntek CXP: $300
Suntek Ceramic: $425
We can do the roof but it has to be done in two pieces.

Chrome Delete cost $900.
For the emblems, we can plasti dip them. That would be satin black. This cost $100.
If you want any other color we would have to buy new ones and paint them.

We will wrap the center console free of charge if booked with a paint protection film appointment. If you were wanting to wrap he console on its own it would be $40.00."

Would appreciate feedback on the prices from those who have gone through this process. My budget is around $1500, so trying to determine what I should get done. Thanks in advance!

Ceramic coating is basically a longer lasting, hard wax. There are several different kinds from the DIY, to pro stuff. I'm in an expensive part of California and professional stuff goes from $600-$2500 at the top for Cquartz Finest Reserve. The expensive stuff should come with paint correction to get your paint looking its best before coating. A lot of factors including budget, personal preference and how long you plan to have the car goes into consideration. I have a Blue Model 3 and the difference before and after coating is night and day. My car sits outside and keeping the car clean is ridiculously easier as well. My car is objectively less dirty when I do my weekly wash.

Thanks.

Ceramic coatings are a great add on to your vehicle. The coating will help repel contaminates from your clear coat by sealing it. However, This will not protect your paint from damage due to projectiles during daily or highway driving. A lot of vehicles owner are adding 3M Paint Protection Film Pro Series to high impact areas. (Bumpers, Hood, Fenders, Mirrors, and Headlights) Any painted surface can have filmed applied to it. The entire vehicle can be protected for ultimate protection and peace of mind!

3M Scotchgard Pro Series Paint Protection Film offers a 10 year Warranty against yellowing, peeling, cracking and labor when installed by a 3M Certified Installer. 3M offers an additional Service Agreement that will cover paint damage in the event something penetrates a filmed surface and damages the paint.(excluding Collision Damage) The Service Agreement is the only one in the market that will cover paint damage and is backed by 3M.

Ceramic coatings can be applied on top of Paint Protection Film as well.

Would appreciate feedback on the prices from those who have gone through this process. My budget is around $1500, so trying to determine what I should get done. Thanks in advance!
Your partial front end is about $300 cheaper than what I got mine for but your whole front is $400 more.
Your ceramic is about $300 cheaper than what I had done, but I had my interior done as well.

Ceramic coatings are a great add on to your vehicle. The coating will help repel contaminates from your clear coat by sealing it. However, This will not protect your paint from damage due to projectiles during daily or highway driving. A lot of vehicles owner are adding 3M Paint Protection Film Pro Series to high impact areas. (Bumpers, Hood, Fenders, Mirrors, and Headlights) Any painted surface can have filmed applied to it. The entire vehicle can be protected for ultimate protection and peace of mind!

3M Scotchgard Pro Series Paint Protection Film offers a 10 year Warranty against yellowing, peeling, cracking and labor when installed by a 3M Certified Installer. 3M offers an additional Service Agreement that will cover paint damage in the event something penetrates a filmed surface and damages the paint.(excluding Collision Damage) The Service Agreement is the only one in the market that will cover paint damage and is backed by 3M.

Ceramic coatings can be applied on top of Paint Protection Film as well.

Can the film be applied to the glass roof?

Thanks, for the response. $3k to $5k is not even in the conversation for me; I would just take my chances. Since my post, I checked online and there's a place near me that does ceramic coating starting at $250. Is that one of those things where the price is suspiciously low (i.e., so low that you have to question the quality of the work)?

A pro coating would not be that much. Even the absolute top end stuff is only about $2,000 with many pro coatings running more in the $1000-$1500 range.

I'm doing my own using a product called Kamikaze Miyami. The car just had PPF put on the front and the shop that did it detailed it pretty well. I am borrowing a friend's long throw random orbital buffer and doing a very light polish on the paint and then doing the coating. I would say materials are more than $50. The Miyami coating is about $120 and other materials I will use are probably another $150. It's still a lot cheaper than paying $1350 I was quoted for a pro coating.

When you seal the car with ceramic coating you are putting something similar but higher tech to pottery glaze on it. Whatever the paint looks like when you seal it is what you are going to have until the coating wears off or you sand it off.

For the majority of consumers it's "more trouble than it's worth".... but if you are the kind of person who washes your cars by hand and would wax them anyway then it keeps the paint looking much better with less maintenance.

If you are the kind of person who runs your car through the filthy $10 auto car wash at the gas station every month and doesn't give a crap about swirls and scratches than ceramic is not for you.

"not worth it" is relative. Some people want their car to look sharp and are willing to spend more to get there and other people just don't really care as long as the car is clean.

I never knew what PPF was or cared about it until I moved to a state where they use sand and gravel in addition to magnesium chloride to handle road ice. Cars here get, quite literally, sand-blasted from this crap and I've seen 2-3 year old cars where the front end is chewed to hell from just doing highway commutes.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing