Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the deal with interior temps while parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

idoru

Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2020
New York City
So I've had my MY LR AWD for about 3.5 months now and started logging data with TeslaMate about 2 months ago. I street park most of the week in NYC and drive the car on weekends. When the car is parked, I leave sentry mode on. I do not use cabin overheat protection.

I couldn't help but notice when looking at the vampire drain report on TeslaMate, that there's an interesting fluctuation in the internal cabin temperature. If you look at the attached graphs, you can see this yellow line almost shadows a few degrees above the outside temperature but has a sawtooth pattern. The pattern seems the same regardless of whether it's at 48F - low 70s. There's a very obvious spike when the outside temps are over 75F.

At first I theorized that the heat pump was moving warmer cabin temperature to the battery when it's colder, but I didn't think this would happen at temperatures as moderate as the mid 60s-low 40s. Also it doesn't seem to try "harder" the lower the temperatures go.

Curious to hear your thoughts, theories or knowledge regarding this data...

Attachments

• vampdrain_62_to_82f.PNG
    vampdrain_62_to_82f.PNG
    41.7 KB · Views: 144
  • vampdrain_48_to_61f.PNG
    vampdrain_48_to_61f.PNG
    48.4 KB · Views: 87
Car just getting the fluid moving? But it seems to be using the fan to get that saw wave Hot pavement heat soaking prevention? With so many firmware changes on a new car I think it would be hard to know why its doing it.

@Picasso Fan/climate_on are both 0 the whole time. Possibly does not account for the heat pump doing other non-climate-esqe things, though.

@LionelHutz AFAIK TeslaMate polls for data every 30s - the interior and exterior temps come from the same API request to Tesla's servers. But that's not to say the car is sampling and reporting those values to Tesla at different intervals.

I'm noticing coolant flow in the mornings and battery temps above ambient prior to any pre-conditioning of the battery to warm it up. This is probably why I'm hearing various noises while the vehicle asleep. In the attachment you'll see ambient at 62F but battery temps are 70F. The car has been idle for 15 hours, charging ended 10 hours, so it's not residual heat.

Attachments

• 20201030_110406.jpg
    20201030_110406.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 83