Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats the difference between Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle and Corded Mobile Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too, back in 2016. Anyway, I can't use the Tesla Mobile Connector because the charging cable is only 18.5 ft long. If you do use the Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter note that you should not let the Mobile Connector hang supported by the plug adapter. The Tesla Cable Organizer ($35) or similar kit on Amazon has a wall mount for the Mobile Connector chassis and a hanger for the charging cable.
Yeah I have it supported. Thanks for letting me know. Bought a simple solution to take care of that. The house I moved into in Januart already
had a separate RV garage with the 14-50 installed. So I'm set!
IMG_4973.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5006.jpg
    IMG_5006.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 202
So if you are looking to charge at 240V/40A at home the Corded Mobile Connector would be one solution. For about $80 less you can purchase the Grizzl-E charging station (made in Canada, no WiFi or BT but has some decent reviews.) In general 40A capable charging setups are going to cost that and more from a name brand (ClipperCreeek, Juice Box, Chargepoint)

Aside from a more robust build and fewer connection points, the hard-wired MC has a 20 ft cable vs 18.5 for the standard UMC. I currently use a CC HPC-50P plugged into a nema 14-50 that we had installed for our Volt and it charged our Volt and Model Y at 40 amps. I routinely get 36 mph of charging speeds. And it has a 25 ft cable, the 18.5' cable on the Gen 2 UMC is tight for my set up.

So I have been considering my options for that day when I sell the Volt (and include the CC EVSE with the sale) do I use:

1: Use the included Gen 2 UMC with 14-50 adapter and charge at 32 amps
2: Buy a Gen 1 MC hard-wired with a 14-50 plug and charge at 40 amps (pre-owned $350 to $400)
3. Buy an HPC and replace the 14-50 outlet and hard wire the HPC and charge at 40 amps.

Re option 3. My builder ran Romex 6.3 from my breaker to the outlet (about 20 feet and not in a conduit) but I'm not sure I can replace the 50 amp breaker with a 60 amp breaker to charge at 48 amps.

Suggestions/comments?

Your CC HCS-50 is equal to or superior to any 40A capable Level 2 EVSE, plus it has a 25 ft. charging cord. I would hold onto the HCS-50, use the Tesla J1772 charging adapter. Anyway, that's what I do with an AmazingE Fast 32 amp EVSE (powered by CC circuitry.) When you sell the Volt include the OE Volt Level 1 EVSE and the new owner will be all set until they determine if they want or need to install a 240V charging circuit.

Your CC HCS-50 is equal to or superior to any 40A capable Level 2 EVSE, plus it has a 25 ft. charging cord. I would hold onto the HCS-50, use the Tesla J1772 charging adapter. Anyway, that's what I do with an AmazingE Fast 32 amp EVSE (powered by CC circuitry.) When you sell the Volt include the OE Volt Level 1 EVSE and the new owner will be all set until they determine if they want or need to install a 240V charging circuit.

I’m leaning towards that since it cost me over $600. The EVSE in the Volt has NEVER been used, so the new owner will probably fell lucky.

The Tesla Wall Connector is a good value but it was clearly designed for photo shoots and not by or for anyone who has a garage full of tools, ladders and yard equipment. The face plate of the Tesla Wall Connector is made of glass; yes really. It costs $90 to replace the face plate if it gets broken. Conversely, ClipperCreek uses aircraft quality plastic for the housing of the HCS series EVSE. There is a video of ClipperCreek employees taking turns swinging a wooden baseball bat at an HCS housing. The bat breaks but the HCS housing is fine.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AlexVCo and Rocky_H
So true. CC are built like tanks. You can see, feel and even hear the "heft". I used a smaller version for 8+ years with my first 2 Volt's we owned going back to 2012. In fact, for 18 months we owned 2 Volts so the CC had to charge 2 cars. They are bulletproof and Made In The USA.

Iy5nnw3.jpg

I was wondering why Tesla had a replacement cover on their website, now I know. Thanks for the sanity check.

Reactions: AlexVCo and Rocky_H