TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What's the difference between gray and red dots on the new SC map?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by zax123, May 30, 2013.

1. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Hi all,

I hope this hasn't been asked already.

I only caught the last 30 minutes of the SC announcement on ir.teslamotors.com. Did Elon at one point explain what the difference was between gray dots and red dots on the SC map?

Thanks!

Rob

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

The grey dots turn to red as the timeline advances in time. They are the new superchargers being added at that point in time.

3. Darmok

Darmok P5265 XP2065

In response to that question Elon said that grey means they are nearly done, maybe just waiting for permits, etc.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

And they will be completed in the specified time frame. At least that seems to be the consensus.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Elon Musk answers:

6. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

As a UI/UX design person, I am fascinated that so many people were tripped up by the red dot / gray dot thing today, including reporters/analysts on today's press conference call. To me it made sense and I had no problem understanding what it was. But that doesn't mean it's a good design, and the fact that so many people were not 100% clear on the distinction between red and gray means the design, for lack of a better term, failed.

7. raptorweb

raptorweb Member

I understood what the colors signified after looking at it a minute or 2... I think it would have been better to designate the nearly/newly deployed SC in red and the existing in grey.

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I thought the same thing...but a legend ought to be placed on the maps.

9. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

If gray means SCs that are just waiting for licensing/etc, how could they predict that in the future -- you know what I mean? Why not just go straight from "no SC at location" to "SC at location"? I guess it just looks better this way.

10. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5