Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

whats the difference between tesla model x 2017 and 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of us would recognize the MCU as the most important difference to ask about the difference.
2017 has MCU1 and could have AP2.0 hardware. Depending on the month the 2018 was built (specifically) March 2018 and after, it will have MUC2 and AP2.5 hardware. A significant improvement in features and center screen performance along with features unavailable to the 2017 (until that one is upgraded to the Infotainment Upgrade - cost $ 2500.

Battery and motor are the same if the batteries are the same size.

Seats, don't have a clue.

I don't think there exist a side by side comparison of all feature or like/differences between the cars. Sorry.

AP2.5 was introduced in August 2017. E.g. read When was AP 2.5 Introduced? Not sure if other minor changes were made in between but upgrade to 2.5 in August is the biggest change also trailer hitch became standard some time in 2017, so older models might not have it. Next big change was in March 2018 introducing MCU2 as already mentioned. With new software you can check the config in settings.

I just remember what changed was Free Supercharging for Life is no longer transferable. I’m still struggling with details of the cut of date. As I understand if car was purchased in 2017 the Supercharging transfers to new owner while 2018 cars loose free charging once ownership changes/when Tesla realizes the owner changed. I would make sure with Tesla in writing the car is eligible before you purchase. E.g read Tesla's Free Lifetime Supercharging Policy Gets New December 31, 2017 Deadline even with free supercharging don’t plan to charge a lot for free/ save a lot unless you are already stoping at a supercharger for other reasons like grocery shopping or are on a road trip. Regarding MCU2 update, other changes are tied to it as well. I recall MCU2 update also introduced faster 5G WiFi and Antenna in mirror. Also look at Undocumented | TeslaTap and Model X noticeable changes from 2016 to now?

I just remember what changed was Free Supercharging for Life is no longer transferable. I’m still struggling with details of the cut of date. As I understand if car was purchased in 2017 the Supercharging transfers to new owner while 2018 cars loose free charging once ownership changes/when Tesla realizes the owner changed. I would make sure with Tesla in writing the car is eligible before you purchase. E.g read Tesla's Free Lifetime Supercharging Policy Gets New December 31, 2017 Deadline even with free supercharging don’t plan to charge a lot for free/ save a lot unless you are already stoping at a supercharger for other reasons like grocery shopping or are on a road trip. Regarding MCU2 update, other changes are tied to it as well. I recall MCU2 update also introduced faster 5G WiFi and Antenna in mirror. Also look at Undocumented | TeslaTap and Model X noticeable changes from 2016 to now?

We have a September 2017 build model X. It does have the 2.5 hardware. At about the same time, Tesla changed the headlights to "dynamic", ie would throw light in the direction of a turn. Our paperwork indicated that dynamic lights were included however, we learned later that there was a shortage of the new lights and ours missed getting them. Tesla service installed them several months later. The point being that Tesla is always making rolling changes and model year means very little. Best to look at paper work that comes with the car.

Regarding the se
like whats exactly the difference
also if you know this, is the battery and motor the same
does the 2018 have vegan seats for its black or is it leather

My 2018 X75 has vegan leather. Mine was made in May 2018.

The thing to remember about Tesla is they roll changes when they are ready. Does not matter if it is in the middle of the production year or even a month. So the car someone gets one day may be considerably different than the car some gets the next day. So while the year does tell you something, you need to check the individual car if you want some feature or change introduced that year.

Also packages change constantly and what was free one week may be extra cost the next, or visa verse. For example, had I bought a Fall 2018 I would had a lot more features for $3000 less then i paid because they rolled all of the Premium Package features into the base and I did not get the Premium Package.

Reactions: Akikiki
I just remember what changed was Free Supercharging for Life is no longer transferable. I’m still struggling with details of the cut of date. As I understand if car was purchased in 2017 the Supercharging transfers to new owner while 2018 cars loose free charging once ownership changes/when Tesla realizes the owner changed.

Supercharging for 2017 cars only transfers if the car was ordered before the January 15, 2017 deadline.

We have a September 2017 build model X. It does have the 2.5 hardware. At about the same time, Tesla changed the headlights to "dynamic", ie would throw light in the direction of a turn. Our paperwork indicated that dynamic lights were included however, we learned later that there was a shortage of the new lights and ours missed getting them. Tesla service installed them several months later. The point being that Tesla is always making rolling changes and model year means very little. Best to look at paper work that comes with the car.
Adaptive headlights were offered since Oct 2016 (refresh S). You needed the Premium upgrade Package for that feature.

@MorrisonHiker where is that detail or written?
TIA

any first hand experiences with 2017 MCs FUSC transferring?
You can see Tesla's original blog post about the end of unlimited free Supercharging here: An Update to Our Supercharging Program

While that blog mentions a 400 kWh allotment, they later brought back free unlimited Supercharging (non-transferable) for the rest of 2017. There are also dozens of threads on TMC about it and at one time, the car profile on Tesla's site indicated if the Supercharging was transferable or not.

We were in the process of buying two Teslas at the end of 2016 and beginning of 2017. The car delivered in December had free lifetime Supercharging that was transferable. The car that we ordered in January initially had no free Supercharging since it came with a 100 kWh battery. At the time, it was not possible to get a 100 kWh battery and free Supercharging. A few months after we took delivery, Tesla brought back free lifetime Supercharging that was not transferrable. Our S100D received that retroactively.

As I mentioned before, Supercharging for 2017 vehicles doesn't transfer to the new owner unless the car was ordered by January 15th, 2017. Vehicles ordered after that date have a different option code for Supercharging. Cars with transferrable Supercharging have option code SC01. Cars with unlimited non-transferrable Supercharging have a code of SC05. Cars with limited time free Supercharging have a code of SC06. Cars with pay-per-use Supercharging have a code of SC04. Early cars without any Supercharging have a code of SC00.

We sold two 2016 Model S that had transferrable Supercharging and there was no issue with it transferring to the new owners since we sold the cars to them directly. If a car is traded into Tesla or goes through another dealer, then there's a chance that even "lifetime" transferrable Supercharging can be removed from the car.

@MorrisonHiker wow thank you!
where can one find the build codes or look it up?
If you have the VIN, you might be able to find the option codes for it here: https://ev-cpo.com/?lookup

If you are buying from a private seller, they should be able to find the option codes by viewing the source or by analyzing the URLs used to load the car details. For example if I look at our 2017 S100D, I see this request in the browser:
static-assets.tesla.com/v1/compositor/?model=msl&view=STUD_SIDE&size=1440&options=BP00,HC00,ADPX2,GLFR,AU01,APF2,APH4,APPF,X028,BTX6,BS00,BCMB,CH05,CW02,COUS,X040,IDCF,X027,DRLH,AF02,FG02,DCF0,FR04,TD00,X007,X011,INBPW,PI01,IX01,X001,LP01,LT3W,MI01,X037,MDLS,DV4W,X025,X003,ZCST,PPSW,PS01,PK00,X031,PX00,PF00,X044,TM00,BR00,RENA,RFP2,USSB,X013,ME02,QTPW,SR01,SP00,X021,SC05,SU01,TP03,TR00,TIG4,DSH7,MT10A,UTAB,WTAS,WR01,YFFC,CPF1&bkba_opt=1&context=design_studio_2

The SC05 in the URL above indicates free unlimited, non-transferable Supercharging.

2017 cars with 75 kWh and 90 kWh might have transferable Supercharging (depending on order date) and performance cars with 100 kWh might have it. No non-performance 100 kWh cars have transferable Supercharging.

this is almost as challenging as rocket science! THANKS i'll give it a go

EDIT: forgive my non teach background. How do I retrieve or see the source URL? For example, for my Model S I clicked car details and it only has the RN number in the Tesla URL.

Last edited:
locked in for a 2017 Model X 100D with MCU2 and FSD

From my understanding that means it doesn't have any tech hardware difference with a 2018, right?
Since the 2017 you mention was upgraded to MCU2 and FSD, it is actually better than a non-upgraded 2018 vehicle. MCU2 didn't come out until 2018 and the FSD computer didn't come out until 2019 so your 2017 could have better tech than non-upgraded 2018 vehicles.

We still have our upgraded 2017 S 100D. :)