Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

whats the difference between tesla model x 2017 and 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
creme de la creme

The Cream color seats were introduced in July 2017, and that's the exact date that all colors went full synthetic "vegan" leather on Model S and Model X, so you could say that ALL Cream color seats have the synthetic "vegan" leather.

On the other hand, all Tan and Black Premium Seats, on both Model S and Model X before July 2017 builds, are full leather.

The only color of Tesla Premium seats with or without the ventilation feature that didn't have real leather, were the Ultra White seats.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
cool! The one lined up is 7 seater, bench (I need fold down second row) and sept production
Nice, in a September vehicle, I'm sure you'll have the more efficient motor (IIRC, EPA range is 295 mi vs 285 mi before the switch). I think my July 17 has the more efficient motor, but I don't know how to validate that and heard enough wrong things from OA's to not be positive even though I was told it does. IIRC, a September probably still came with AP2.5, but may have come with MCU2, so you should check the info in the MCU to determine if HW3 has actually been installed or not. You can get it installed if it hasn't been (free upgrade if FSD optioned). It's also possible the previous owner already had it installed or that it was installed at a service visit automatically, and since my memory is a bit foggy on the dates, it's also possible that the vehicle came with MCU1 and both were upgraded at the same time. In any case, you should be able to check yourself and ultimately be on par re: tech at no additional cost (so long as the information regarding the vehicle having the FSD option is correct).

Sounds like our X, Dec 2017. Think it came with MCU2 and we did the MCU upgrade and they included the FSD computer at the time. Also did the radio upgrade. Worth checking status of FM radio on your car, as the MCU upgrade removes the FM/Satellite radio unless the extra $500 is paid for the radio replacement as well (as of a couple months ago.) Overall good deal. Range is still close to 300mi estimate for full charge also (100D). Like it a lot. We also went with the 7 seater, the fold down all the way back has been handy a couple times.

There are threads about a company that does aftermarket warranty for Tesla's here on the forum. I will probably add that on once our warranty is close to expiration from Tesla. We purchased used through Tesla this year, so just have the 1yr/10k mile extension on the existing warranty.

If you are buying third-party, that is the best chance to test drive and check out the car for any drive issues. I would definitely do that, or even ask them to add the warranty if you are concerned. Those warranties are transferrable.

Sounds like our X, Dec 2017. Think it came with MCU2 and we did the MCU upgrade and they included the FSD computer at the time. Also did the radio upgrade. Worth checking status of FM radio on your car, as the MCU upgrade removes the FM/Satellite radio unless the extra $500 is paid for the radio replacement as well (as of a couple months ago.) Overall good deal. Range is still close to 300mi estimate for full charge also (100D). Like it a lot. We also went with the 7 seater, the fold down all the way back has been handy a couple times.
A December 2017 car would've come with AP2.5 and MCU1. MCU2 came out in March 2018.

Reactions: Akikiki and cobra