Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the expected charging speed from an 120V/15A indoor outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not a tesla owner yet, but considering to be one before Fed tax credit cut. So here are my newbie questions regarding Model 3.

Currently I am renting an apartment and maybe need to move in 1-2 months. The worst case, I may need to charge the model 3 with a extension cord from a indoor outlet with 120V/15A spec or maybe 120V/20A. Expected to be a home owner in the end of 2018 or the spring next year. I am living in Metroplitan area, so I don't drive for commute. Just for shopping or fun during weekends.

1. Can Model 3 be charged with 120V/15A or 120V/20A outlet?
2. If yes, what's the expected charging speed in 120V/20A case? Like 3 Miles Per Hour?

Thank you very much for any input.

Cheers,
oldcotton

If you can get a 20 amp circuit and the correct adapter it makes a worthwhile difference if you can’t install a 240 outlet. You can get 7 MPH instead of 5 MPH on a 15A circuit.

The car will charge at full speed using an extension cord if you get a high quality 12 gauge one. I’ve been doing this for a while on my car and it works fine