TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's the expected charging speed from an 120V/15A indoor outlet?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by oldcotton, Jul 17, 2018.

1. oldcotton

oldcotton New Member

I am not a tesla owner yet, but considering to be one before Fed tax credit cut. So here are my newbie questions regarding Model 3.

Currently I am renting an apartment and maybe need to move in 1-2 months. The worst case, I may need to charge the model 3 with a extension cord from a indoor outlet with 120V/15A spec or maybe 120V/20A. Expected to be a home owner in the end of 2018 or the spring next year. I am living in Metroplitan area, so I don't drive for commute. Just for shopping or fun during weekends.

1. Can Model 3 be charged with 120V/15A or 120V/20A outlet?
    2. If yes, what's the expected charging speed in 120V/20A case? Like 3 Miles Per Hour?

Thank you very much for any input.

Cheers,
    oldcotton

2. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

Yes - I get 5/mph

3. BlackS

BlackS Member

2/3 miles/hr with an extension cord.....4/5 miles/hr connected directly to the outlet.

4. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

5mph. Tesla says 4...that's not true.

5. RayK

RayK Member

5mph overnight. 3-4mph during the day if cabin overheat protection is running. If using an extension cord, subtract about 1-2mph.

These are typically from 50% state of charge (SOC) to 90% upper limit.