Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the latest on perforated ultra-white premium seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm tempted to make the change to the perforated ultra-white premium seats for my midnight silver Model S. I know that early on there was some concern about the durability of the perforated fabric and Elon Musk had tweeted that they were changing to a more reinforced backing material. Has this made a difference? Anyone seen more tears in the perforated fabric? How about the long-term stain-resistance? I have heard that the perforated ultra-white seats might have less stain resistance because the special coating applied does not adhere as securely to the perforated fabric compared to the solid ultra-white.

More importantly wouldn't you want cooled seats? I ordered black interior with a pano glass roof in Los Angeles where it get 110 in the summer. I mean my GMC truck has cooled seats that work great how can a car that is more than 100k not have them.

I am in the same boat. I ordered my new S on December 31st and I am curious if I will get them or not. But by the sound of it they weren't that great. So maybe that's why?
FWIW I put in a S60D order with the premium/Recaro gray seats back in November right before the price increase and requested a January 2017 delivery. Tesla discontinued the gray on or about 12/31 for production and upgraded me to the white premium seats for free. As the car was originally configured with the premium package, Tesla indicated I would receive the ventilated seats.

Per elonsvelvetjacket recent posting on Reddit the ventilated seats are going away and seeing as how my model S went into production two days ago I've got no idea what to expect. Regular white seats, perforated-but-not-vented white seats, or white vented seats...who knows.

@DÆrik - I'm taking delivery in DEN and wondering if you can recommend a good dash cam and clear bra installer? And thanks for making the youtube vids - found them useful in learning about the S!

More importantly wouldn't you want cooled seats? I ordered black interior with a pano glass roof in Los Angeles where it get 110 in the summer. I mean my GMC truck has cooled seats that work great how can a car that is more than 100k not have them.

Nope. I live in la and unless I drive to the desert in Aug, there is no 110 for me. Price? How can a 100k car not have a spare tire? Because it can.

I ordered the ultra white seats in the P100D right before they introduced the ventilated seat option. I was hoping it would get added to my car, but when I took delivery, the seats were the regular, non-ventilated premium seats. Now that I have the seats, I have to say that I am glad they aren't perforated. They are so incredibly soft and smooth! I usually prefer the way perforated leather looks, but in this case, the leather (or synthetic leather in my case, lol) looks and feels great without them.

Reactions: DÆrik
This makes me wonder if Tesla has something up their sleeve...

1. extended the date for unlimited supercharging until Jan. 15
2. remove perforated/ventilated seats suddenly - and just before Jan. 15
3. had removed some paint color options and trim options recently(ish)

I know it's Friday the 13th today and freaky things can happen - maybe, just maybe, Jan. 15th we will get cool new paint colors, new interior colors (brown, red), and just in time for me to switch my order.

Or - reality check - Tesla is once again simplifying and reducing options to streamline production. :rolleyes:

I believe if you ordered with ventilated seats you will get ventilated seats. I believe if you have not yet ordered or ordered without ventilated seats that you can no longer change to ventilated seats and you will not get ventilated seats.

I think they work as advertised - they "suck" air away from your body which assists with moisture evaporation which has a cooling effect. I believe that they are just as effective and work the same way as the ventilated seats (numerous different models) I've previously owned in BMWs and Audis.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D
I think they work as advertised - they "suck" air away from your body which assists with moisture evaporation which has a cooling effect. I believe that they are just as effective and work the same way as the ventilated seats (numerous different models) I've previously owned in BMWs and Audis.

Mike

Can't speak to BMW and Audi, but my Lexus cooled seats actually force cold air through the perforations. Delightful in southern California in the summer.

Can't speak to BMW and Audi, but my Lexus cooled seats actually force cold air through the perforations. Delightful in southern California in the summer.

I would think if the AC duct work is routed properly that this is possible. My 2014 Silverado with ventilated seats seemed to chill much more than any BMW or Audi I previously owned so it may have worked similarly.

I'm tempted to make the change to the perforated ultra-white premium seats for my midnight silver Model S. I know that early on there was some concern about the durability of the perforated fabric and Elon Musk had tweeted that they were changing to a more reinforced backing material. Has this made a difference? Anyone seen more tears in the perforated fabric? How about the long-term stain-resistance? I have heard that the perforated ultra-white seats might have less stain resistance because the special coating applied does not adhere as securely to the perforated fabric compared to the solid ultra-white.

As of yesterday, not an option anymore - no more ventilated/perforated seats option.

Seriously!!!??? I wonder if mine will have them or not? I just checked and the Model X config doesn't show perforated seats or mention of cooled seats...!

I am in the same boat. I ordered my new S on December 31st and I am curious if I will get them or not. But by the sound of it they weren't that great. So maybe that's why?

Mine better have them $113,700 I want perforations in my seats. That's what I saw when I ordered I expect it to have it.

I'm in the same boat with you guys. The "Premium Upgrade Package" on the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement is very vague - it does not list any particular functions/options included in the PUP. My order for the X was confirmed on Dec 30 and, obviously, is not in production yet. So contacted Tesla and got this response:

"Congratulations on the order of your Model X! Fortunately, the removal of ventilated seats only applies to new orders. Your Model X will be built with the ventilated seats. Please let me know if you have any additional questions regarding your order."

Still, keeping my fingers crossed :p

Per elonsvelvetjacket recent posting on Reddit the ventilated seats are going away and seeing as how my model S went into production two days ago I've got no idea what to expect. Regular white seats, perforated-but-not-vented white seats, or white vented seats...who knows.
Based on my DS response on this topic, you should get the ventilated/perforated seats

I looked at my invoice and it just says Premium Package and Tesla Premium seats. No list of included options in those categories. Vague for a reason...?
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. But, based on DS response, we should get the ventilated/perforated seats.

• Informative
Reactions: 3s-a-charm