Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the latest on the $5k refund for Performance version buyers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My email to customer service:

1) Price protections and price adjustment refunds are very common in the retail industry, especially within a 30 day period. Why would you want to alienate your early adopters?

2) I deliberated for weeks on whether to buy the performance upgrade package. It was the promise of track mode that finally made the decision for me. At a time when details on the actual content of the upgrade package were scant (we did not have details on the brakes and how they performed, or what changes if any were made to the suspension and motors) I trusted Tesla that the changes were worth my $5,000 and now your actions indicate that they are not.

3) I have yet to receive the carbon fiber spoiler or rear Dual-Motor badging that I paid for... with no estimated arrival time... and are now they are free! Many of us have been patient with Tesla, more understanding and flexible than the customers of other companies.

4) I understand price changes over time. This was too much and too soon. If you expect loyalty from the customers who have funded you the most, a token of appreciation is in order.

I feel fortunate that Tesla is considering refunds, many of us are first day reservation holders who made that early deposit. Now if a $59K vs $64K PUP option was available I would have sprung for the later.

PUP owners should be given a refund by dropping free supercharging, they were hit initially with a higher expense.

Non-PUP should receive an upgrade or refund by dropping free supercharging, they will be hit by a lower resale or trade in value.

Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support.

Tesla typically adjusts pricing as we find more efficiencies in manufacturing. In an effort to be transparent, we adjust the prices of our products to pass along the savings to our customers. This is in the spirit of continuous innovation and improvement.

Vehicles equipped with Performance Upgrades Package are eligible for this refund in exchange for Free, Unlimited Supercharging.

I have ensured that you do take benefit from Free, Unlimited Supercharging as an early adopter of Model 3 Performance. We hope you enjoy your Model 3 for all of the features you do have.

We thank you for your commitment to transitioning our planet to sustainable energy.

Sincerely,
Tesla Support | 24/7 Customer Support: 877-798-3752
EvlYE-qbup95NIubqOEmSMEHrZvpjEf53w9XheReHwwr7gdQa7i29SWES6Ug1ec_3KzO4GxYwFfZ47xS3atoCnJKHDbfUzelx061v4aZdaUdWUK0TgqbJKX-PuXdCv0KX4Jwr-9Rps4ih4Np99UFztTCgH3uFw=s0-d-e1-ft
Refund is only available to PUP owners in exchange for free supercharging.
There is nothing for P3D- owners.

I call BS on that - not saying you didn't receive that email but BS on the notion that Stealth Model 3 Performance owners that paid the same as the now P + options for a car w/o any added hardware shouldn't be treated equally is a giant fail.

Also, it's precisely opposite of what I was told so there is that..

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I call BS on that - not saying you didn't receive that email but BS on the notion that Stealth Model 3 Performance owners that paid the same as the now P + options for a car w/o any added hardware shouldn't be treated equally is a giant fail.

I don't even want the 20inch wheels. I didn't then and I don't now. But I would take the spoiler, pedals and brakes.

As it stands now if Tesla gives me nothing, it will leave a pretty sour taste given the delivery damage, service damage etc that I've been dealing with since taking delivery. No way I could recommend someone else go through this experience.

If they gave me the spoiler and refunded me the $600 I paid to have my brakes painted and left me with FUSC - I'd call it a draw.

Maybe you will have better luck, they obviously don't treat all customers the same. If your name was Fred and you bought a P3D- and were upset about it, then I bet you would be treated differently.

From the email I read it as we still get free supercharging so everything is fair. I doubt I will ever even use $500 worth of free supercharging over the life of the car, although now that I just need to move on. I may take it on myself to use superchargers at every opportunity. They just need to build one that is less than 45 minute drive from my house! But then there's the issue that my time is worth more than trying to abuse my supercharging perk.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Msjulie
They just need to build one that is less than 45 minute drive from my house! But then there's the issue that my time is worth more than trying to abuse my supercharging perk.

Ditto on this, I’ve tried to make charging pit stops work, but there are too many inconveniences in my location for a daily driver. I would be fine to trade in supercharging for Tesla credit.

I got the same response on Nov 7. Seems like we got no other option but FUSC. Agree with others that I will never end up using $5k worth of it, even though there's a SC 4 miles from me. It's just highly inconvenient for daily use. An important benefit of owning an EV is avoid "trips to the gas station".
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 11.14.47 PM.png

That supercharger obviously has something wrong. It should be charging much faster.
I don't draw that conclusion from his post/image. We don't have enough information and some of the information we do have suggests it might be a normally functioning supercharger. Elaborating...

Short distance suggests that battery isn't warm. Also charging at the very bottom of the battery sometimes takes a bit to warm up to full swing of charging (say ~40 rated miles). Lastly, we don't know if he's the later arrival on a shared pair. Even more desired information that could have easily ben offered: what was the weather like at that location at that time?

Some additional notes about that post:
- He's waited 6 minutes. The "for an hour" is an estimate -- i.e. future, not past. We don't know how much juice he needs for the next stop so that hour maybe be significantly off in either direction.
- "Hurt my battery" is at best technically correct, but basically any charging "hurts" the battery -- it's a matter of degree.
- The assertion "instead of getting laid" is not a requirement for supercharging. First, we don't know if he had that option at the time. Second, the car provides a location for the suggested activity. Third, you don't have to stay with your car while it charges; if the theorized hour isn't enough, then you should count yourself lucky multiple times over anyway.

Last edited:
I don't draw that conclusion from his post/image. We don't have enough information and some of the information we do have suggests it might be a normally functioning supercharger. Elaborating...

Short distance suggests that battery isn't warm. Also charging at the very bottom of the battery sometimes takes a bit to warm up to full swing of charging (say ~40 rated miles). Lastly, we don't know if he's the later arrival on a shared pair. Even more desired information that could have easily ben offered: what was the weather like at that location at that time?

Some additional notes about that post:
- He's waited 6 minutes. The "for an hour" is an estimate -- i.e. future, not past. We don't know how much juice he needs for the next stop so that hour maybe be significantly off in either direction.
- "Hurt my battery" is at best technically correct, but basically any charging "hurts" the battery -- it's a matter of degree.
- The assertion "instead of getting laid" is not a requirement for supercharging. First, we don't know if he had that option at the time. Second, the car provides a location for the suggested activity. Third, you don't have to stay with your car while it charges; if the theorized hour isn't enough, then you should count yourself lucky multiple times over anyway.[/QUOTE

Well, his app is showing 1.5 hours to charge still. And, sure, this may just be a moment in his upward speed, but then that's being a little deceptive in his posting if that's the case. If he's charging consistently at this speed, even with other cars charging, that's slow, imo. I know it takes a little bit to warm up, but I've not experienced it taking long at all. But, then, again, I don't live in a really cold area.

If he's charging consistently at this speed, even with other cars charging
At the time of the screenshot, he is not. We know that because he only has 12 mi showing so even with the 62 kW reported so there's not enough time passed to qualify for any reasonable characterization of "consistently". ("I consistently charged for 12 milliseconds." isn't reasonable IMO.)

For any of you who took the refund, have you ever noticed Tesla forgot to remove your free charging? I’ve heard some are still getting free charging, despite the refund. Also, think Tesla will honor free Supercharging for cars in their Tesla Robo-Taxi program?