Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the least invasive way to install/tap power for a Dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for redundancy I'd like to install a Dash Cam and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I'd like the install to be as clean as possible from the inside and the outside and this is the best mount I could find:

BlackVue mounting bracket for Tesla

It basically makes the DashCam a part of the rear view assembly and most people will never even realize there is a Dash Cam installed even when they are inside the car. Has anyone found a better solution for mounting a Dash Cam in a Model S? I feel the 115 Euro price is a bit high though.

Apart from the mount, what's the cleanest way to tap into power in the microphone area so you are not splicing cables? isn't there some kind of a connector that you can use with always on 12V power? Can I solder a corresponding connector to the Dash Cam wire so that it can cleanly plug into the existing connector? Should I fuse this connection to the Dash Cam?

I would use OBDII port for constant power but that was before Sentry Mode.

Now, with Sentry Mode, your 12V cigarette is constantly on so it's also an option.

I really don't want to use the OBDII connector and would prefer to keep it free. Isn't there a nice 12V power connector in the microphone area that is essentially just where the DashCam is installed?

I didn't realize with Sentry that the 12V power is now constantly on. Good to know!

Just for redundancy I'd like to install a Dash Cam and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I'd like the install to be as clean as possible from the inside and the outside and this is the best mount I could find:

BlackVue mounting bracket for Tesla

It basically makes the DashCam a part of the rear view assembly and most people will never even realize there is a Dash Cam installed even when they are inside the car. Has anyone found a better solution for mounting a Dash Cam in a Model S? I feel the 115 Euro price is a bit high though.

Apart from the mount, what's the cleanest way to tap into power in the microphone area so you are not splicing cables? isn't there some kind of a connector that you can use with always on 12V power? Can I solder a corresponding connector to the Dash Cam wire so that it can cleanly plug into the existing connector? Should I fuse this connection to the Dash Cam?

In the description it says overseas customers can get the bracket for 50% off. I'm pretty sure Washington DC is considered overseas.

"50% discount on this bracket for overseas costumers. Contact us for a discount code."

if you have AP1 this is a great dashcam that uses the power from the rear view mirror. I have one and love it, especially because it looks oem!

IRO Dashcam for Tesla Model S AP1 | eBay

Wow that is sleek! I have AP 2.5 though and with the adapter I referenced above, it makes the BlackVue look just as well integrated with nothing attached to the glass. I still prefer the BlackVue 900 series because it has better resolution/frame rate.

I'm actually hoping a newer BlackVue comes out that can do 4K/60FPS...

In the description it says overseas customers can get the bracket for 50% off. I'm pretty sure Washington DC is considered overseas.

"50% discount on this bracket for overseas costumers. Contact us for a discount code."

I am no longer sure what planet Washington DC is a part of at the moment!

I contacted them and yes, they give a 50% discount but then shipping for 1 unit is really high, essentially negating much of the benefit of a discount. This still is the BEST Blackvue mount I could find for the Model S though and it makes the Dashcam look OEM with nothing sticking to the glass. Wish this mount was available in the US for a reasonable cost.

Wow that is sleek! I have AP 2.5 though and with the adapter I referenced above, it makes the BlackVue look just as well integrated with nothing attached to the glass. I still prefer the BlackVue 900 series because it has better resolution/frame rate.

Yep I would love 4k but for me the oem integrated look is worth it. I had a 2k front and rear cam on my last car but again, the integration. Hopefully i don’t regret not having a rear camera. I figure that in a few years when I upgrade it will have sentry and dashcam built in, so this will suffice until then!

Last edited:
Yep I would love 4k but for me the oem integrated look is worth it. I had a 2k front and rear cam on my last car but again, the integration. Hopefully i don’t regret not having a rear camera. I figure that in a few years when I upgrade to a P model it will have sentry and dashcam built in, so this will suffice until then!

The TeslaCam rear camera is wonderful but the problem is it is useless as soon as there is any rain.

I'm having the rear camera ceramic coated so we'll see if that helps.

I would love to have 4K60 for the front camera if Blackue offers one and it fits in the mount I linked above because it would make everything look OEM. I'm still thinking about getting a separate rear camera but the ones I have seen seem to be odd mounted in a Model S because there seems to be weird distortion and the quality looks bad.

Anyone know of the best rear dash cam for a Model S with the best picture quality? I don't mind if it is a totally separate camera rather than the rear half of a 2 channel camera.

Finally got my Blackvue mounted and working.

Here is my BlackVue 900 in my Model S with AP 2.5.

The cable from ebay is the way to go for power. It just works, and was way easier that the multiple attempts I made before.
The bracket is hit or miss. My first one broke, my 2nd one is holding fine. They are cheap, you might like to buy two just in case.

FYI, for mounting the rear camera, the TeslaTap guide is idea.

THIS diagram shows the weird way you have to route the cable, but it is the cleanest way to do it.
https://teslatap.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/interior_top_view_blue_tan-wired_750.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV

I have IRO on my AP2 and it works great. Enabling Sentry leaves it on when the car is off.

The battery pack is portable and can be used in another vehicle if needed. In my case it seemed to be the easiest way to create a clean install. I installed it myself, but from now on I will let someone else install them. Getting to old to twist & turn.

The battery pack is portable and can be used in another vehicle if needed. In my case it seemed to be the easiest way to create a clean install. I installed it myself, but from now on I will let someone else install them. Getting to old to twist & turn.

But if you pull power cleanly from the microphone area with the cable connector on eBay there is no room there for a battery pack, right?