Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the likelihood we will see Speed Limit Sign recognition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking forward to this, as the speed limit data is missing or incorrect much of the time on rural Maine roads. There are a few where proper speed limits will slow me down, but it's far more common that the database will have it at 35 when it's a 50 zone, for example. Went on a drive just now to test and had very low success at night. In around 15 miles, it only caught the very last sign I passed, and that was only after I slowed to 20mph (in a 35 zone) when passing the sign. Hopefully it improves.

I installed the update last night and the drive to work today was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! 3.5 years since I bought this car and I've never been able to use AP on the drive to/from work. It recognized all 5 speed limit changes on the same stretch of road. This was my only credible gripe with the car. I paid $8000 for EAP/FSD back in 2017, so it's nice to be able to use it on my main commute...finally.

2017 MS, AP3.0, MCU1

I've been looking forward to this, as the speed limit data is missing or incorrect much of the time on rural Maine roads. There are a few where proper speed limits will slow me down, but it's far more common that the database will have it at 35 when it's a 50 zone, for example. Went on a drive just now to test and had very low success at night. In around 15 miles, it only caught the very last sign I passed, and that was only after I slowed to 20mph (in a 35 zone) when passing the sign. Hopefully it improves.

Wish they had a way to report signs it doe snot pick up so the NN can get better.

I really wish sooner rather than later they let you go up to 10mph over the limit. That's the speed of traffic around here.

Reactions: israndy
Installed the update 2020.36 two days ago and finally went out today. Speed limit sign recognition worked flawlessly over about 68 miles of mixed neighborhood roads and highway. I never used AP as I enjoy driving too much, so I can't help with how it would react. But definitely a step in the right direction.

Actually, I think it should be relative. If the speed limit is 40 mph is should be + 5. Anything over 40 up to 60 mph should be + 10. Over 60 should be whatever.

I would prefer the driver specify up to a 10mph offset manually on surface streets as needed for anything over 25 mph with the driver accepting responsibility just like the driver would be responsible for cruise control.

This would allow me to keep the pace of traffic around where I live.

Reactions: israndy
Speed limits came to Norway! Along with the traffic light stuff. It seems to ignore yellow signs with speed limits, that has the same shape and look as normal speed limit signs. Too bad these are the really important ones to follow since they are temporary and not in the map data.

On another positive note, regular signs work and this has resulted in a correct speed adjustment possibility and the ghost braking is virtually gone on the stretches that had it.

Not detected (construction color), well it detected the 70 one for some reason, no idea why:
p1132080139-3.jpg

Not detected (digital / lit):
upload_2020-9-14_0-43-57.jpeg

Detected:
Nett_280105_reduse_2980090a.jpg