Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the lowest charge level you've had?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that is terrible! Can't believe (yet somehow i can believe) that Tesla would deliver a car like that...
The 3rd-party Home Delivery driver said he loaded it like that. I was the last delivery on the day, so in December, freezing cold, my car sat with zero SOC all day long in his semi.

Worse yet, I live down a ¼mile dirt road which a semi cannot negotiate. So, we agreed to meet at a rest stop 10 miles away. Of course, while he gets my car out, I start to remove the tags on my Chevy Volt which I'm trading in. Then he asks me where the chargers are. I tell him there aren't any. He thought there was. So, we decide to take it 10 miles away to another rest stop with a Tesla supercharger.

But before that, I tell him I live on a ¼ mile dirt road that is mostly downhill, with only one short uphill section. If there's enough energy in the car to get it on the semi, I think I can probably get it to roll down to my house. The driver says "no", he's delivered lots of Model 3s and while zero isn't zero, mine won't make it downhill 1/4mile.

When we put it back on the semi, he's right, I actually had to push the car, while it was on the loading ramp, to get it barely in the semi, since it stopped.
IMG_0804.jpeg

Thankfully, when we got it to the Superchargers, it started charging slowly. The driver handed me the two keycards, had me sign something, took my Chevy Volt and left. I made him note that the battery was zero, but other than that, I couldn't tell a thing about the condition of my car under streetlights at night, other than it had some bird poop on it. It was clear no delivery center had ever looked at it, since the interior had the plastic mfring dust/debris all over the dash. Since it was mid-December and it had been made in October, I wonder how long it had sat wherever, slowly discharging.

Strangely, my battery seems to have survived its near-death experience with flying colors, so far. And, the car's fit and finish were acceptable. Haven't taken it to Tesla for anything. Of course, the alignment was off, which I found out when I rotated the tires. And, my rear motor ground strap needed tightening, because I had that whine. Other than that, it's been good.

In hindsight, I wish the driver had unloaded it near my dirt road the first time. I might have been able to roll it down the ¼ mile. And, I could have used my small inverter generator to add a little power to get it home all the way if necessary. If I had been thinking, I could have been prepared, but totally didn't expect to have a car with zero SOC, delivered late on a Friday.

It was an outright blizzard one day during the winter I purchased the car when I was driving on zero to the Supercharger. I really thought I wasn’t going to make it but there were some extra miles past 0 in there.

Been down to around 4% on two different trips.

First time was a winter trip to DC, made a bad choice not realizing i would have to pick through Baltimore off the highway and end up at a 72kw urban charger ( can a 72kw urban charger even be considered a super charger? ).

The other time was a summer trip out to WV, decided to push one SC past the Haggerstown SC. Learned not to switch up SC in the destination so close to the destination. It had started preconditioning for the first SC and arrived at the second SC in the penalty box with a warm battery.

Think the scariest was Utica, under 20%, but half the stalls where dead and the next SC in Syracuse was to far to make. In the future i will top off in Albany, then sprint to Syracuse or Rochester. If memory serves i skipped both and did Rochester to Albany on the way back.

Last edited:
cue the “should I be concerned about my battery degradation” post on a few weeks.

I got down to 3 percent once...
cue the “should I be concerned about my battery degradation” post on a few weeks.

I got down to 3 percent once...
i'm not concerned. just find it weird that the car only shows 60kWh used. no way i've lost THAT much to degredation. Never even supercharged it.

Would be nice if we have a bit more information on where the energy is being used (like the chevy bolt. It shows how much is going to driving, HVAC, and AUX electronics). If 60kWh is for just making the car go forward, then provide me the nerdy info i want about everything else!

• Funny
Reactions: Kevin-rf
6% and i was freaking out because i still had like 5 miles left to the supercharger from Needles to Barstow with crazy headwind.

at first it said 'keep car under 70mph to reach supercharger'
What is it with Barstow? I did a trip from Santa Cruz, CA, to Colorado and back, using Tesla's recommended stops, and the only time it went below about 20% was on the way to Barstow. I was at 2% when I pulled in.

1%, the wife nearly killed me. We were on a road trip, with bicycles on the roof in a serious head-wind. Made it to our lodging with 14%. It was frigid outside (12F), woke up to 3% usable remaining and managed to drive to the nearest town (that it thought I wouldn't make) doing about 35 mph with everything turned off, *burrrr* ❄. Rolled in with 1% and charged on a level 2 long enough to reach the nearest SC. Definite nail biter, not eager to repeat.