Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the max generation you've seen for a 16.2kWh system at any given time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. For those near me in SoCal can you give me a reading on your peak output today thus far? I’m trying to get a gauge on if my output is up to par yet because Tesla techs came out yesterday and rewires some of my panels that were reverse polarity.
I’m getting 8kW right now and it’s my peak output.

Peak about 8 kw on a 12 kw system

Reactions: njhtran
Thanks. My system is 16.32kW. I wonder if that means something is still wrong.
I’m getting a lot of smoke overcast though. Since youre closer to the coast is it less ash and smoke overcast for you ?

Just an observation, but I've seen that my 12 kw SunPower system out-performs the equivalent Tesla system (by a lot).

Wait till you have a clear, cool, sunny day and measure your output before you jump to any conclusions.

Also, I'm a good bit south of you, closer to the coast, and on a mountain, so my ambient sunlight right now is probably different from yours.

Hey all. For those near me in SoCal can you give me a reading on your peak output today thus far? I’m trying to get a gauge on if my output is up to par yet because Tesla techs came out yesterday and rewires some of my panels that were reverse polarity.
I’m getting 8kW right now and it’s my peak output.

That is looking better. I had 7.1 kW for my max today on my 12.24kW

For the past few days the sky has been clear and I’ve only generated in average 55kWh The highest being 60kWh. The max generation at any point in time is 9.2kW (system rated for 16.3kW). If every day the entire year produces as much (sunlight from 6am until 7pm) then I would only generate 18mWh yearly. The system design was estimated @ 24mWh based on my needed consumption.

the 18mWh is BEST case scenario and yet falls short by a wide margin. I’m cringing at the idea of starting another ticket and having to convince them of the issue. Wish me luck

For the past few days the sky has been clear and I’ve only generated in average 55kWh The highest being 60kWh. The max generation at any point in time is 9.2kW (system rated for 16.3kW). If every day the entire year produces as much (sunlight from 6am until 7pm) then I would only generate 18mWh yearly. The system design was estimated @ 24mWh based on my needed consumption.

the 18mWh is BEST case scenario and yet falls short by a wide margin. I’m cringing at the idea of starting another ticket and having to convince them of the issue. Wish me luck

You need to be careful about trying to figure out annual production based on only a few days because different days can vary widely. It’s better to look at production over several weeks or several months.

But that said, it really does sound like your system is underproducing. I think it might be beneficial for you to request access to the solaredge portal from Tesla and then connect your inverter(s) to Ethernet so data can be reported to solaredge.

On the solaredge portal you will be able to see per panel data, so you can make sure that your system really is seeing all your panels and see if some panels are producing considerably less than others.

You need to be careful about trying to figure out annual production based on only a few days because different days can vary widely. It’s better to look at production over several weeks or several months.

But that said, it really does sound like your system is underproducing. I think it might be beneficial for you to request access to the solaredge portal from Tesla and then connect your inverter(s) to Ethernet so data can be reported to solaredge.

On the solaredge portal you will be able to see per panel data, so you can make sure that your system really is seeing all your panels and see if some panels are producing considerably less than others.
+1 on BrettS suggestion to get access to SolarEdge portal. I have SolarEdge and Powerwall's and having the data on each panel and Inverter status has been hugely beneficial. You will want to see all the details on which panels are producing and how much. Even if you don't use it all of the time you can use it as a reference. I have my SolarEdge connected via Ethernet and use it daily. There is also a Mobile app which is handy as well.

+1 on BrettS suggestion to get access to SolarEdge portal. I have SolarEdge and Powerwall's and having the data on each panel and Inverter status has been hugely beneficial. You will want to see all the details on which panels are producing and how much. Even if you don't use it all of the time you can use it as a reference. I have my SolarEdge connected via Ethernet and use it daily. There is also a Mobile app which is handy as well.

Here is an example of the SolarEdge portal during and outage/troubleshooting event earlier this year, I had water in one of the junction boxes which created some issues. Also had some issues with configuration of the inverter, I admin I'm a telemetry and performance geek but this interesting and helpful on many levels.
Capture.PNG

For a point of comparison, below is the output from my 12.24kW system. My production has been falling off since I had a peak of 67.1kWh back in August. The smoke haze, heat and days getting shorter I think are contributing to it.

upload_2020-9-21_8-54-17.png

• Informative

Your 16 kWh system produced almost exactly double what my 8.7 system produced yesterday, and we live in the same city. I believe this was said in the thread somewhere, but the "max generation number at one time" is not an appropriate thing to measure.

Your system is about twice the size of mine, and generated about twice as much energy, in the same city. I have had my system since 2015 and know what it produces. Based on your 55-60 kWh generation number, it looks correct to me based on my own generation for my own known working system thats 8.7 kWh also in temecula.

Your system is about twice the size of mine, and generated about twice as much energy, in the same city. I have had my system since 2015 and know what it produces. Based on your 55-60 kWh generation number, it looks correct to me based on my own generation for my own known working system thats 8.7 kWh also in temecula.

We need to have a Temecula Solar Meetup where we can just stare at each others solar arrays ;)

@njhtran / @SoCal Dave

Lets compare production today, 09/21/2020. When my solar stops producing for the day,I will post what my production is. Since we are in the same city, with different size PV setups, maybe that will help @njhtran see if the production looks "normal" or not.

I know we are likely in different parts of the city, with different roofs, etc... but temecula isnt THAT large of a city so this might help. My production has been creeping UP a little, which is unusual this time of year since it normally goes down a little each day at this point in the year.

@njhtran / @SoCal Dave

Lets compare production today, 09/21/2020. When my solar stops producing for the day,I will post what my production is. Since we are in the same city, with different size PV setups, maybe that will help @njhtran see if the production looks "normal" or not.

I know we are likely in different parts of the city, with different roofs, etc... but temecula isnt THAT large of a city so this might help. My production has been creeping UP a little, which is unusual this time of year since it normally goes down a little each day at this point in the year.

Sure.

You can see in my graph it has been trending up slightly since the really bad days. A bit cooler and less smoke haze I think are helping a bit right now.

Production as of 3 PM is just a hair less than yesterday. But I'll post my final numbers when production ends at 6:30 for me.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Sure.

You can see in my graph it has been trending up slightly since the really bad days. A bit cooler and less smoke haze I think are helping a bit right now.

Production as of 3 PM is just a hair less than yesterday. But I'll post my final numbers when production ends at 6:30 for me.

Ok..

Date =9/21
System Size = 8.7kW
Highest peak generation shown =5.1kW
Solar generated today =35.4 kWh
Location - North Temecula (Temecula / Murrieta Border area)