Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the max generation you've seen for a 16.2kWh system at any given time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My hell is even worse. A 6.6kW array of Panasonic panels with a +10 rating, meaning they will perform at least to rated specs and up to +10. Watts or percent.....I forget.

Anywho, I have an east/west racking system on a flat roof and my installer decided a 5kW inverter was "optimal". On certain days, production pegs to 5kW at 10am and it clearly would have approached 6.6kW at absolute peak under the right conditions.

I don't care about the minor loss from being slightly less than optimal, I just wanna know if I could exceed the rated capacity of the array! Driving me bonkers.

Inverters aren't too expensive. Probably wouldn't justify the cost, but a 7.7kW Sunny Boy is $1,300. Would let you get of your solar hell and see what your system is capable of!

SMA Sunny Boy 7700W Inverter SB7.7-1SP-US-41 | Webo Solar

Last edited:
Inverters aren't too expensive. Probably wouldn't justify the cost, but a 7.7kW Sunny Boy is $1,300. Would let you get of your solar hell and see what your system is capable of!

SMA Sunny Boy 7700W Inverter SB7.7-1SP-US-41 | Webo Solar

I guess it would depend upon the payback period for a new inverter, right?

I don't know how my kwh per day he would be "leaving on the table" currently, but that and the cost per kwh from the grid would be the determining factors, I would presume.

Ouch. Is that somewhat typical?

Personally, I'd be plotting the oak tree's death. I have those two Eucalyptus trees you can see in my profile photo. Their deaths might be in the cards soon.

hqdefault.jpg
Don't know if it typical since this first year with solar. But in my city trees get a heritage designation if you can't put your arms around the trunk. Ours has a circumference of 15 feet, so only minor trimming allowed under direction os an arborist

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
This turned out to be a pretty much perfect production day for us.

Date =9/22
System Size = 12.06kW (see sig for details)
Highest peak generation shown = 8.7kW (72.1% of full system)
Solar generated today = 63.2 kWh (5.24kWh per system size kW)
Location - North SD County

Looking back historically for this time of year, I've matched that a few times, but not appreciably better.

Don't know if it typical since this first year with solar. But in my city trees get a heritage designation if you can't put your arms around the trunk. Ours has a circumference of 15 feet, so only minor trimming allowed under direction os an arborist

That's a bummer. We have similar restrictions for Oak trees and a few other varieties. Unfortunetly for my Eucalyptus, the city won't save them from my
This turned out to be a pretty much perfect production day for us.

Date =9/22
System Size = 12.06kW (see sig for details)
Highest peak generation shown = 8.7kW (72.1% of full system)
Solar generated today = 63.2 kWh (5.24kWh per system size kW)
Location - North SD County

Looking back historically for this time of year, I've matched that a few times, but not appreciably better.

Today was 0.2kWh worst than for me yesterday. Looks like I had some clouds or something in the morning which reduced production a bit.

That's a bummer. We have similar restrictions for Oak trees and a few other varieties. Unfortunetly for my Eucalyptus, the city won't save them from my

Today was 0.2kWh worst than for me yesterday. Looks like I had some clouds or something in the morning which reduced production a bit.

Mine was similar. .3kWh diff from yesterday

For me, the day you guys are referencing was .7kWh better than the day we were comparing (tuesday = 36.2 vs monday = 35.5). Something slightly interesting is, when I checked production history today, it shows that monday was 35.5, but when I checked it on monday when we were comparing, it showed 35.4. Small difference of .1 but must have been some small adjustments in production history somewhere.

For me, the day you guys are referencing was .7kWh better than the day we were comparing (tuesday = 36.2 vs monday = 35.5). Something slightly interesting is, when I checked production history today, it shows that monday was 35.5, but when I checked it on monday when we were comparing, it showed 35.4. Small difference of .1 but must have been some small adjustments in production history somewhere.

I had a small blip in production around 10 AM. Had that not occurred, I probably would have produced more yesterday than Monday.

Screenshot_20200923-063445.png

• Informative
I've noticed in the data I am logging that my system will report around 15Wh of production overnight, so it may be something like that where you were right at the edge for rounding purposes when you checked in the evening and then got tipped to the other side by midnight.

• Informative

I think Eucalyptus is explicitly NOT on this list. After the Oakland Hills fires, a lot of people want every Eucalyptus tree in the state gone.. Plus is it non-native to the state, brought in to soak up water from swampy ground, and is listed as an invasive species.

I think Eucalyptus is explicitly NOT on this list. After the Oakland Hills fires, a lot of people want every Eucalyptus tree in the state gone.. Plus is it non-native to the state, brought in to soak up water from swampy ground, and listed as an invasive species.

I would jump on that bandwagon. I hate Eucalyptus. They are messy, get too tall and are so heavy. There have been so many issues with limbs breaking and doing damage in our neighborhood.

Reactions: jboy210
I guess it would depend upon the payback period for a new inverter, right?

I don't know how my kwh per day he would be "leaving on the table" currently, but that and the cost per kwh from the grid would be the determining factors, I would presume.
My installer offered to swap out my 5kW inverter for a 6kW, but we decided the actual production loss over 10 years won't be too bad once my panels degrade a bit. I think these Buffalo Panasonic H panels just perform far greater than rated. Even the degradation after 1yr wasn't much, and a good bit is supposed to occur in year 1.

We also had a drunken chat about how much extra production I might be getting from the undersized inverter producing "better" on lower kW days. Doesn't matter really, just bothers me.

I've been checking some addresses for friends on Tesla's site and the production estimates seem really really low? Has anyone else noticed this? I produce an average of 26kWh/day in Philadelphia from my 6.6kw(5kw inverter) array and the Tesla site is telling me a 12+kW array out in the suburbs would only produce 34-44 kWh/day?

Does that seem right to you folks? Would be interested in some tests of your own addresses if you already have solar and know your annual production.