Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the max generation you've seen for a 16.2kWh system at any given time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been checking some addresses for friends on Tesla's site and the production estimates seem really really low? Has anyone else noticed this? I produce an average of 26kWh/day in Philadelphia from my 6.6kw(5kw inverter) array and the Tesla site is telling me a 12+kW array out in the suburbs would only produce 34-44 kWh/day?

Does that seem right to you folks? Would be interested in some tests of your own addresses if you already have solar and know your annual production.

About a month ago, someone on Reddit noticed that they dramatically cut back their estimates for some reason: Recent website recommendation changes : TeslaSolar

I don't think they're very accurate, any more.

We also had a drunken chat about how much extra production I might be getting from the undersized inverter producing "better" on lower kW days. Doesn't matter really, just bothers me.

It depends on the inverter. For my 10kW SolarEdge, it gets basically the same efficiency once it goes above 2.5kW.

upload_2020-9-24_13-0-14.png

https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/application_note_solaredge_inverters_efficiency.pdf

While others, like the 6kW SolarEdge looks to be most efficient at about 2.0kW and loses efficiency as it gets higher.

upload_2020-9-24_13-1-25.png

Haven't had any perfect summer days to hit an amazing maximum generation number (12.24 kW system only turned on last week, max of 57.1kWh on Sept 22), but I think I am getting a fun little cloud edge boost today.

When it's clear and sunny the system is peaking at around ~8.5 kW, but today I spotted 10.2 kW in-between clear and cloudy conditions:

Screenshot_20200930-130514.png

Haven't had any perfect summer days to hit an amazing maximum generation number (12.24 kW system only turned on last week, max of 57.1kWh on Sept 22), but I think I am getting a fun little cloud edge boost today.

When it's clear and sunny the system is peaking at around ~8.5 kW, but today I spotted 10.2 kW in-between clear and cloudy conditions:

View attachment 593795

I'm jealous. I'm in sunniest part of socal near the desert and the most peakiest peak i've ever gotten was 9.3kW and the best day I've ever gotten was 63.2kWh (my system is the 16.3kW).

I'm jealous. I'm in sunniest part of socal near the desert and the most peakiest peak i've ever gotten was 9.3kW and the best day I've ever gotten was 63.2kWh (my system is the 16.3kW).

I have never seen the "cloud edge effect" out here, as we generally dont have that much cloud cover that then uncovers into bright sun to generate it. Those just give generation spike numbers, they dont provide a ton of extra energy over time or anything.

Are you still disappointed with your production?

Reactions: willow_hiller

View attachment 593795

I think that is exactly it - I've seen a few spikes today that I attribute to the cloud edge effect, and this is the type of sky to get it - mostly sunny with a few smaller clouds.

What do your monthly numbers look like?

I think focusing on immediate or even daily values misses bigger trends that occur over weeks and months as the sun get closer and farther and the length of a solar day changes.

After a morning of rain, this afternoon I'm seeing some of the highest generation #s since installation in Spring. First time both inverters appear to have reached peak; usually one gets clipped and the other is below spec. As it's partly cloudy, I wonder if it's somehow an on-going cloud edge effect. Looks like I'll also be beating my installer's projected post-shading monthly generation by more than 10%. A bit lower total than each of the past 3 months but I'll take it.

After a morning of rain, this afternoon I'm seeing some of the highest generation #s since installation in Spring. First time both inverters appear to have reached peak; usually one gets clipped and the other is below spec. As it's partly cloudy, I wonder if it's somehow an on-going cloud edge effect. Looks like I'll also be beating my installer's projected post-shading monthly generation by more than 10%. A bit lower total than each of the past 3 months but I'll take it.

Possibly washed the dust off the panels? By end of summer/fall here in SoCal, I see a decent drop in production just from the dust layer (~5-7%).

Reactions: jjrandorin

It may be a combination of things. The water probably cleaned off the panels, which helped and the water and clouds are probably lowering the ambient temps which helps. I think very light layer of clouds can also diffuse the light a bit, which does work like the cloud edge effect and can help as well.