Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the most surprising thing you've found once you got your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would others note the same? I've heard mixed messages, but mostly in comparison to the full premium (vs the standard or upgraded systems on other cars). Does it stand out as that bad compared with other mainstream competition (not upgraded Lexus, etc.)?

To my ear, the SR+ sound system was better than the supposedly premium sound system my prior car had. It's definitely inferior to the system in the "Premium Interior" (no subwoofer, fewer active speakers), but it's definitely not what I would call "bad".

I think this is instinctive for me, because almost all the BMWs I had over the past 15 or so years had a turn stalk that operated exactly the way the model 3 one does. BMW changed this on 2018 and 2019 model cars back to a more traditional turn stalk that actually stays when you push it up, instead of returning to center like all their older ones (and the model 3) does.

In my early "driving bmw" days, it was a pain to get used to, but its ingrained in my memory now so I was happy the model 3 was like this. Does take some getting used to.

Yes, having driven BMW's the indicators were second nature. I prefer it compared to traditional indicators actually.

For me, with Creep off, it's been 100% reliable regardless of the degree of slope: it engages automatically anytime I use the brake to come to a complete stop. If you only slow down, it does not engage; you must actually stop and then it instantly goes into Hold, whether I'm facing the car uphill or down.

Interesting that it doesn't operate the same for the both of us.

Since a software update some time ago (maybe 6 months), mine has been 100% consistent in this way (creep off): on level ground or an incline, as soon as I stop with normal braking pressure, it auto-engages. On a decline, it never auto-engages; if I want hold, I need to apply additional pressure to engage it.

Given our different but consistent behavior, it seems unlikely it is a bug for one of us. Although maybe it's an unintentional code branch with AWD/RWD? Mine is RWD.

I travel a little bit for my work, so when I'm in another city I have to rent an ICE car to get around. Most surprising thing to me is how often I've started to get out of the ICE car and left it running because I forgot to push the start/stop button, and how often I've walked away from an unlocked ICE car expecting that it will lock itself. I can't believe how quickly I grew accustomed to just get in, step on the brake, put into gear, drive. Get to where you're going, push the button to put it into park, and walk away. Amazing.

Okay, I picked a feature earlier in answer to this question. But I have a second answer too. The other surprising thing is me and my relationship to Tesla and this community of fellow owners. I liked former cars, but I was never a "car guy." Once or twice I may have landed on a Honda or Toyota owners' forum via a Google search trying to figure out how to fix some problem. But I never hung out there.

It turns out I love this car! I look forward to the next chance to drive somewhere, whether a road trip or the supermarket. And I enjoy hanging out on this and the Tesla fora. My wife says it has replaced Facebook (which I bailed on a year ago) for me. I cannot say she's wrong!

Also, the car while very quiet, is surprisingly powerful from an acceleration standpoint.
As we were leaving dinner at some friends' house last night, they walked us out to their driveway to see us off. They knew we had a Tesla, and they knew it's electric, but it still really surprised her as I began to back out. "It's moving and he never started it!" Tee hee.

i'm half-responding to some of the comments in this thread...

regen braking - never had this before but I've driven racing clutches (lightened flywheels) and the driving/deceleration is very similar. adopting "one-foot" driving wasn't terribly difficult. what gets me is when I drive my GF's ICE car and it just keeps coasting. makes me REALLY uneasy.

SR+ sound system - honestly for me, it's very clear, there is no distortion and the range is acceptable. i would, however, like to enhance the experience by adding a subwoofer and enabling the rear speakers. FWIW, it's lightyears ahead of the car i came from.

accessories (additional purchases) - i kind of started buying things for the 3 before getting the car, but i had no idea that it didn't come with even basic floormats. this was wild to me. i'm kind of glad not to be financing things i can just pay for up front, but floormats, really?

piano black - i've avoided cars because of this interior design choice. i've seen what they look like after years of use. no matter how nice you are to them, they'll get swirly and scratched.

interior trim - the door panels are a fascinating and to me screams inexperience in the auto industry. i wouldn't be surprised if the door panels fail after 10 years (deteriorate).

frunk - i really wanted it to be more usable. it's difficult to close, it gets hand prints all over it, it's smaller than usable and the emergency button can pose a problem if you have something rolling around in there. one day i had the frunk open because my kid was putting his drones in there and people were stopping to make sure my car was ok (hood open = engine trouble). i laffed.

"toolbox" - i actually get more use out of this neat little area. would be nicer if it were the size of a tire so I could decide to fit a spare if i wanted to.

i think for me the most surprising is how much these seats don't breath. i've heard people yelling for cloth seats but honestly some perforated material would fix a lot of issues. also i'm starting to realize they are too soft. i didn't believe some of the naysayers on here but dang, i hope these guys last long enough.

This is more of an irritation, but after all the miles I've driven, I still don't seem to be able to cancel the right turn signal without turning on the left signal :( ... there's gotta be some sweet spot I'm failing to find.

if the signal is on to the right just push it to the right again and it cancels. No need to go the other direction and risk a false signal the wrong way.

Kim of "Like Tesla" YouTube channel or liketeslakim.com has a great video about some other features you may or may not find interesting on the model 3. Besides the turn signal piece my best learning was just swipe down on the screen for nav address and it automatically takes you home (important for Nav on autopilot).

Video title: The Hidden Features Tesla Will NOT Tell You About!