Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the most surprising thing you've found once you got your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having worn through the fabric mats where my heel pivots before, I plan on getting some good form-fitting mats. My car's still new enough that I'm avoiding eating in it, but I still want to not have to worry about any cruft I may track in with me from various parking lots. I'm probably going to start with frunk/trunk mats though, since I'll be upgrading those from nothing.

forgetting something,
I remember my first long drive, taking my two girls to dinner far away, the revelation is constant, I'm driving an electric car that is compelling and is taking me long distances. On that same drive Waze was a thing back when and Tesla, and something had just happened in front of us, it was a person in the middle of the highway laying there and they had fallen out the back of a truck. The MCU was screaming at us to slow down. I had no idea what was going on prior. I do miss Waze, I still love my car.

Having worn through the fabric mats where my heel pivots before, I plan on getting some good form-fitting mats. My car's still new enough that I'm avoiding eating in it, but I still want to not have to worry about any cruft I may track in with me from various parking lots. I'm probably going to start with frunk/trunk mats though, since I'll be upgrading those from nothing.
Every car I buy I make sure to have rubber floor mats ready to go the day I acquire it. Any OEM carpet mats go into storage for later use or sale.

I continue to be surprised by how much can fit in the Model 3. The car may not have the cubic storage of an SUV, but it seems to have a lot more usable space. The square footage of floor space storage must be more than most SUVs. As long as the stuff you are trying to fit isn't too tall or too bulky, it is easy to use all the cubic space to fit a ton of stuff!

Reactions: Phlier and jigjug
How much extra items are needed and though they are not very, very expensive they do add up over time

1. All weather mats for cabin, frunk and trunk
2. Wireless charging for M3.
3. sunshades for roof.
4. Special floor jack pucks and jacks.
5. 14-50 adapter.
6. Electrician to install the 14-50 receptacle in garage.
7. Tesla wall charger in new home as permanent solution.
8. extra key cards

Some were totally not needed but it was better to have, some might have been needed in a ICE car but usually came standard when buying in this price range and some clearly needed for EV. I have held off on screen protectors, Center wraps and other small items let alone things like PPF or other paint protection add-ons
I agree with this. I haven't even received delivery of the car yet and I've bought more accessories already for the 3 than all the cars I've owned in my life (at least 10 cars) combined.

How much extra items are needed and though they are not very, very expensive they do add up over time

1. All weather mats for cabin, frunk and trunk
2. Wireless charging for M3.
3. sunshades for roof.
4. Special floor jack pucks and jacks.
5. 14-50 adapter.
6. Electrician to install the 14-50 receptacle in garage.
7. Tesla wall charger in new home as permanent solution.
8. extra key cards

Some were totally not needed but it was better to have, some might have been needed in a ICE car but usually came standard when buying in this price range and some clearly needed for EV. I have held off on screen protectors, Center wraps and other small items let alone things like PPF or other paint protection add-ons
@Kamban made me think, yeah, that was a surprise to me too. In my case:

1- didn’t need additional mats
2- can’t use wireless charging
3- don’t need sunshades
4- DID get a set of lifting pucks
5- didn’t need 14-50 adapter
6- already had an EVSE from my Nissan LEAF
7- don’t need Tesla’s wall charger
8- don’t need more key cards
9- Foam cannon
10- Foam for foam cannon
11- ONR
12- new wash bucket(s)
13- about a million microfiber cloths
14- case of Invisible Glass
15- CarGuys spray wax sealant
16- tire plug kit
17- battery-operated air compressor
18- Abstract Ocean puddle, glovebox, and trunk replacement lights
19- Abstract Ocean glass cover for display (probably didn’t really need, but like it)
20- tire tread depth gauge
21- subscription to TeslaFi
22- subscription to PlugShare
23- subscription to ChargePoint
24- upgraded membership in TMC (this forum)
25- upgraded membership in TeslaOwnersOnline.com
26- membership in local club
27- two USB sticks for Dashcam/Sentry recording
28- 1/2” battery-powered impact wrench
29- had my 1/2” torque wrench recalibrated

So yeah, some additional desires met.

My father in law is like this. I can hear him yelling about Tesla in the background whenever my wife calls her mother. I don't like talking politics on the internet, but it's a politics thing.
My father would be a candidate based on his politics, but we bought him a RWD last year. He loves it and loves talking about it. Says it’s the best car he’s ever had.

On the positive:
I love how every time I park, someone asks me about the car!
How easy and cheap it was to install a 50amp stove wire into my garage myself (also was inspected by electrical company)!
Mobile Service - amazing.
Best car I have ever owned by far.

Things to improve:
- Panel fit (fixed post delivery by Tesla service)
- Wind whistle in mirror (fixed post delivery by Tesla service)
- Much too easy to get rim-rash as the outside of the stock rims protrude past the tires
- Wind noise from roof glass. This should sealed at factory or fixed by Tesla service in my opinion)
- FM radio reception is not great compared to other cars. Perhaps done to save energy?
- No CCS connector available.

The sanctioned Tesla clubs all over the world. I never knew they existed let alone the fact that you have to pay an annual subscription for it. You do get some goodies though (sponsored local company discounts and a one time use discount code from Tesla for apparel)

Living with a P3D...

My heart races and quickens every time I drive it.
The acceleration, never gets old
The motor sounds (try turning off that radio)
The awesome bass in the radio
Feeling like I'm in a Tron movie
The freak out I have at night when I look at my dash and its completely black
Full tank every morning
Sticking it to the Arabs
Driving a kick*ss American car
More than comfortable seats
Less Keys, no keys
The Amount of Rubberneckers, pissed off Teen drivers (hondas, nissan) and the looks from the ladies!
The OTA updates

This is more of an irritation, but after all the miles I've driven, I still don't seem to be able to cancel the right turn signal without turning on the left signal :( ... there's gotta be some sweet spot I'm failing to find.
Tap it in the same direction and it goes off. Having said that, one time a new software release Stopped that from working but the next release (and currently) it’s worked for me.

Traffic aware navigation has not been mentioned yet. Due to traffic, I use nav on just about every trip that typically includes highway driving, which is pretty much every trip. I was surprised how much more convenient the on-board nav is, instead of having to open up google maps or waze on my phone on every trip.

That Tesla doesn't care even the slightest about customer satisfaction... that Tesla finds all kinds of excuses to avoid fixing quality issues... that Tesla service is hard to access... that Tesla parts are incredibly hard to come by (extremely long lead times, so don't get into an accident)... that generally, Tesla sucks..!! I expected so much more based on all the hype, but found that Tesla is just another 'American made' car company. I swore off 'American made' a long time ago, but alas, got sucked into the Tesla hype. Sigh.

• Disagree
Reactions: focher and sceptic
Great thread. Agree with so many things already mentioned here. YES - finding this community even - it is wonderful to have drivers who understand and support - this is not something I have ever thought of or experienced before with other cars we owned . I am someone who hates to drive. But this car (18 months now) has made driving easy, fun and I always feel safe. Traffic navigation and maps - I can get lost like nobody's business but not anymore. Parking - I am terrible at this (parallel or not) but with this I am actually proficient and I'm not even using the self park feature that often. My phone - I never forget it anymore as I need it to drive. Driving our other cars though kind of sucks as it shows me what a crummy driver I really am in real life.