Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the most surprising thing you've found once you got your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That Tesla doesn't care even the slightest about customer satisfaction... that Tesla finds all kinds of excuses to avoid fixing quality issues... that Tesla service is hard to access... that Tesla parts are incredibly hard to come by (extremely long lead times, so don't get into an accident)... that generally, Tesla sucks..!! I expected so much more based on all the hype, but found that Tesla is just another 'American made' car company. I swore off 'American made' a long time ago, but alas, got sucked into the Tesla hype. Sigh.
there's a lot of truth to what you are saying, but the magic of the car gets you to give them a pass and hope they will get better at it

Reactions: Phlier and SO16
the most surprising thing to me is that im able to get by on 110v charging despite draining my battery 40% apprx 3-4 times a week commuting to work. Sure, I may not be able to get to 80% every day, but usually leave with 75%+

i know this is unique to people who only commute into the office a few times a week but im not complaining. I even have an electrician buddy and havent felt the need to upgrade

I have had quite a few new BMW's and have loved them all. The excitement and pleasure of driving them was always high when I first purchased them but within 3-6 months all of them became "just" the daily driver.

Then I purchased my second hand, 18 month old, P85D in March 2017 and everything changed.

There are just so many things that I have been surprised about, but my absolute number 1 is that, even after 2 1/2 years, every time I drive off I still get the same "buzz" I got when I first drove the car. This car "is" my daily driver but has never become "just" my daily driver.

My love affair with Mooncake has not diminished since we met.

I drove all the way to my cape cod summer home and then realized I didn't have a key. 126 miles one way. When I got there I realized no key! All my other cars have a house key on the keyring/keyfob. With my model 3, with no key needed I never even thought about taking one with me. I now have a spare in the glove box for those trips. Absolutely love the M3.

I got on the waiting list early and did not test drive in advance of buying my M3 Dual Motor. I had heard a lot in advance about the acceleration and although it was amazing I wasn't shocked by it. My big surprise was the car's incredible handling. I came from a string of 5 AWD Audi's and one BMW AWD. My M3 is no doubt in a different league; I always say "it is like driving a cat". After almost a year I still marvel at how it grips the road in all conditions.

BWilli
M3 LR AWD (Multicoat Red, Prem Black,19” Sp. Wheels, FSD, EAP)
Reserved 4/8/16. Ordered 6/30/2018. Delivered 9/26/18

I was very disappointed to find out the hard way the auto wipers work so poorly. Being in south florida in the summer it tends to rain... alot. The wipers either wait too long or don't even come on so I am driving blind and I have to manually turn them on...

Then you have to look at the computer screen so you can chose the right speed. There really should have been a manual way to do this just for safety. Taking your eyes off the road to work your wipers is not a safe thing. Maybe they should make this part of the safety rating test for the car.

and for me turning off the turn signals is a hit and miss thing. pushing them 1/2 in the same direction works only about 1/2 the time.

i'm half-responding to some of the comments in this thread...

accessories (additional purchases) - i kind of started buying things for the 3 before getting the car, but i had no idea that it didn't come with even basic floormats. this was wild to me. i'm kind of glad not to be financing things i can just pay for up front, but floormats, really?

While all the new cars I have purchased had floor mats, the cost of them was always on the sticker. So they never really came with them, rather it was another way for the dealer to charge you $250.

Traffic aware cruise control for sure was the most surprising thing that continues to delight me. My partner had his Model S for about a year before I got my Model X and his did not have that since he didn't order AP. I had no idea. On a less day to day use, I was surprised by a safety feature I didn't know MX had: while driving home carrying a load of several stacks of 70-lb bags of compost, one stack tipped over and was leaning against the wing door. MX would not open the door until I straightened up the stack to relieve the pressure on the door.

Really resonating with many of the posts above. My first surprises:
1. The lack of an introductory drive at pickup. "Here it is. 'Bye."
2. The compact, tight handling sensation.
3. Road noise.
4. No spare, and no jack! And no self-reliance alternative. Had to buy Tesla's flat fix kit as an extra.
5. Nausea. Pretty much abated now but still possible glancing at the screen in reverse.

Most of these sound negative, and most are. But I continue to treat the car as a treasure, and let no one else drive it.

My long term surprises:
1. No spare.
2. Replacement tire >$300.
3. Poltergeist windows/still no manufacturer fix.
4. Random phone disconnect/not letting me in/not letting me drive. Carry your card.
5. The enduring fun of acceleration.
6. Occasionally being one of those annoying drivers who drive like it's a Grand Prix, racing up to a corner, taking turns at speed, accelerating out of turns....
7. That most cars, lesser powered cars, drive much faster than me. (I'm not really a bad driver.)
7. How carefully I protect it.
8. How I still don't know all the controls.
9. What a car snob I feel like sometimes, checking out other cars and drivers. Then remembering that most people have real life problems on their minds, not what cars are driving by.
10. How luxury ICE car interiors look humorously archaic in TV ads, touting their little screens.

Reactions: Phlier
This is more of an irritation, but after all the miles I've driven, I still don't seem to be able to cancel the right turn signal without turning on the left signal :( ... there's gotta be some sweet spot I'm failing to find.

We had this problem, too. Our service advisor told us (over the phone) tgat it was a faulty stalk. One week later, our ranger showed up with a new stall and replaced it. Works perfectly now.

So far our service has been amazingly good—best I’ve ever experienced. And I come from Porsche’s and Acura NSX’s.

Reactions: Phlier