TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Whats the one unexpected great thing about your car?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by MOBB, Oct 15, 2019.

1. MOBB

MOBB Member

There are plenty of good things, but the one thing I love is the return of good throttle response.

I know its not really throttle as such, but driving the Tesla has really made me realise how awful my recent cars have been;

- Porsche Macan D - my wife's previous car, replaced by a Model 3 performance - generally a nice car, but my god it had the worst throttle response of any car I have ever driven. It was investigated a few times but no fault found, and the internet confirms its a feature of the car

- Mercedes CLS63 AMG - my current car. Never really had an issue with the throttle response, but having driven the Tesla, its now irritating me

As mentioned in another thread, I've decided to get rid of my CLS and I will be commandeering the Tesla, my wife is getting a BMW i3s.

I never thought I'd want a Tesla over the AMG, but I actually prefer driving the Tesla, and the running costs are miles apart.

• Like x 1
  2. Need

Need Active Member

She knows where you sleep...

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  3. fumusic

fumusic Member

The maps are very good. Not sure if they use Google maps but they seem better than the Google maps on my phone. I also like how the voice command feature picks up exactly what I say even if it isn't able to perform some of it.

4. adsheff

adsheff Member

Honestly the most unexpected thing for me was how sporty the car looks. I don't think the photos on the websites do it justice, it always looked a bit squat in pictures, but in person it looks very low and sleek and very cool. That may be because I bought a white one, and the white ones don't tend to feature in press articles much. Blue/Black/Grey just tend to blend into the background when seen from a distance, but the white is so bright it was just a bit of a surprise to us how much it stands out and how many people stare at it.

• Like x 2
  5. 12Pack

12Pack ..

One of many...but every evening on the way home I pass a couple of petrol stations with ICE's queuing waiting to get in. Always makes me smile, thinking of my nice warm, dry 32A connection waiting for me at home.

• Like x 3
  6. MOBB

MOBB Member

Hehe my post did come across a bit harsh, but originally she wanted an i3 and I persuaded her to get a Tesla instead, so everyone will be happy :)

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

How incredibly efficient and powerful the Raven powertrain is - if I'm following any sort of traffic, the drafting gets my consumption down to around 250 wh/mile at 75mph. I can easily make the 300 mile trip to our mountain place with no charging stops, and plenty of power left over for full throttle mountain road driving.

It still blows me away it's faster than a Ferrari and more efficient than a Prius!

• Like x 1
  8. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

Yes, instant throttle response is quite different to having loads of power... though the Tesla has both. Old style Minis from the 1960s had so little maximum power but they could jump off the line at a junction without hesitation. Most modern cars are hampered by a mixture of factors including engine management, turbo lag, traction control, auto clutch/gear selection. Once it has been experienced it's so obvious that the electric drivetrain is the answer to quick response, "invisible" traction control and smoothly delivered instant torque at all speeds. I can't think there are too many go back to an ICE for daily driving. EVs used to be seen as the dull "green" alternative until Tesla demonstrated that they can also be about driving pleasure.

• Like x 2
  9. LukeT

LukeT Member

The other day I had a long journey home and wanted to (ahem) put my foot down a bit. I was a bit touch and go on battery but I also needed a pee. 7 minutes, 1 trip to the loo, 12kWh added, £0 spent (will in the future be £3), easy run home.

So for me it's the realisation that the charging "inconvenience" is no such thing. I did the same stops before I got the EV (plus I had to go to the pump as well).

• Like x 1
  10. henleyregatta

henleyregatta Member

This probably isn't strictly just a Tesla-only thing, but it was new to me in terms of car ownership:

Calendar integration. I get into the car in the morning, it pops up my calendar, I tap the first entry and the satnav sets itself up, and away we go. Repeat throughout the day.

No more looking up postcodes, scrolling around a map, or pulling out a phone to lookup a destination - it's all there on that gloriously big screen a single tap away.

• Like x 3
  11. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

Nicked :)

12. Cogarch

Cogarch Member

Patriarchy FTW... :-|

(sorry, just read your later retraction...!)

• Like x 1
  13. SilverGS

SilverGS Active Member

There are too many great things (despite the buggy software and lofty promises of Elon of FSD availability etc)

1. Instantaneous throttle response at any speed
    2. Auto wipers
    3. Auto headlights
    4. Peace and quiet
    5. Smoothness of suspension and drive in general
    6. No more stops at gasoline stations
    7. No more engine oil and filter changes
    8. Internet connectivity to control such as things remotely controlling pre-heating/cooling of the cabin
    9. Instantaneous heat up of the seats, air and steering wheel in cold weather

14. Daverh

Daverh Member

That bugs me about my current car. It can hit 60 in about 7.5 seconds but being an automatic means the transition from holding the brake to spooling the turbo to eventually getting power feels like a lifetime when you're sitting at a busy junction. I've resorted to using the launch control a couple of times which isn't ideal.

I'm glad these things are included otherwise I'd miss my current Android Auto setup when the Model3 arrives.

15. pdk42

pdk42 Member

This is the first car I've had where the voice control works.

• Like x 1
  16. rubberfish

rubberfish Member

It flies ;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

Oh God you're going to love the M3 ... I've "only" got the SR+ but it's soo good in that regard.

18. elecTED

elecTED Member

Are you talking about M3?

The auto wipers on the M3 is something many people are dissatisfied with and could be greatly improved.

• Like x 3
  19. samasha

samasha New Member

Totally agree, especially following other vehicles when it's just stopped raining, if there is a lot of spray off the car in front, they don't always pick up, and you have to keep hitting the end of the stalk

• Like x 2
  20. SilverGS

SilverGS Active Member

No, I have an S. Its fantastic on the S

• Like x 1