Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the point of the "Dual Motor" badge ina Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They used to have a perfectly fine P100D performance badge with or without an underline that meant something.

I'm trying to understand the point of the "Dual Motor" badge for new Model S deliveries. Is it so you can have conversations like the following? :p

Q: What kind of a Model S did you buy?
A: Oh, it's a "Dual Motor" Model S. That's what it says in the back.

Q: Wait, I thought all Model S are "Dual Motor." Why do you need a badge for that?
Q: How else can you have a pointless badge that means absolutely nothing?

Seriously, I find the "Dual Motor" badge for the Model S to be really silly. Of all the great features in the Model 3, the pointless badge is what we get? :p

They used to have a perfectly fine P100D performance badge with or without an underline that meant something.

I'm trying to understand the point of the "Dual Motor" badge for new Model S deliveries. Is it so you can have conversations like the following? :p

Q: What kind of a Model S did you buy?
A: Oh, it's a "Dual Motor" Model S. That's what it says in the back.

Q: Wait, I thought all Model S are "Dual Motor." Why do you need a badge for that?
Q: How else can you have a pointless badge that means absolutely nothing?

Seriously, I find the "Dual Motor" badge for the Model S to be really silly. Of all the great features in the Model 3, the pointless badge is what we get? :p

It is not completely useless. It let you know that this Model S/X was produced after the drivetrain refresh.

It is not completely useless. It let you know that this Model S/X was produced after the drivetrain refresh.

They did not change any model designations after any of the previous "refreshes" and we somehow figured out what was what.

So are they going to have different badges whenever they make any small changes? What badge are they going to use, when they do an "interior refresh?" I guess we can see some interesting badges that are equally meaningful... :p
  • Model S "4 Wheels"
  • Model S "Dual Row seating"
  • Model S "Premium Interior"
  • Model S "5 Passenger"
  • Model S "Electric"
  • Model S "This is the Backside"
  • Model S "New Badge"
  • Model S "This is the right side of the car (The other side is the left)"
  • Model S "If you can read this, you are too close and on DashCam video" (smaller font, obviously!)
  • Model S "Not a Model 3"
The point is a badge that means and adds nothing is just silly when it spells out a feature that is present in every car. This is what dumb ICE makers used to do. The Model S badge designations used to mean and convey something that meant something.

Last edited:
It lets the chain control staff know you have AWD. When it is snowing in the mountains they check to make sure you have AWD or chains. Or else how could they tell?

How could they tell for the last 4 years? "Dual Motor" means nothing in the context of AWD -- What if the dual motors are on the same axle? :p

Last edited:
Helps to distinguish between single, dual, or quad motors....

P120Qx.jpg