TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's the point of the "Dual Motor" badge ina Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PhilDavid, May 26, 2019.

1. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

Very. Google Caltrans R2.
    • R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow or all season tires on all four wheels.
    Whenever there’s more than an inch or two of snow on the mountain roads, Caltrans puts checkpoints up and inspects every vehicle. For vehicles that come in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, they look for badging or even inside to verify your selector is in 4x4. Besides badging there is no way for a road worker to tell the Tesla variants apart. It’s not like you can see the differentials underneath.

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Not once did I have caltrans “verify” that my model s was AWD
    They asked and just let me through
    Heck I even went through with my 21 Michelin tires which are a no no in the snow

• Like x 1
  3. City Racer

City Racer Member

Now the 75D guys can legitimately wear a Dual Motor badge.

• Funny x 1
  4. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

Yeah I usually got away with that in my Audi TT. There are a wide range of skills and attitudes among the staff. I offered to do a 4 wheel burnout once but then they noticed the Quattro badge.

5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

I've never had this happen ever. At best, they ask you if your car is AWD before waving you through..

• Like x 1
  6. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Lol, no they don’t. I’ve been through *hundreds* of California chain control checkpoints. Never once has anyone ever “inspected” my car to make sure it’s AWD.

• Like x 2
  7. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

So you can use the heat gun to remove it, I always debadge my cars.

• Like x 1
  8. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Cars have all sorts of silly badges, proclaiming some little bit of engine tech that's in the car. They do that even if there's no other option for that car. It's marketing.

• Like x 1
  9. tpoltron

tpoltron Member

What were you driving? They never check inside my Q7, probably cause they know Audi’s Quattro system is permanent AWD and they all have it, but used to check my Wrangler’s big 4x4 handle was up a fair portion on the time. My Pathfinder was in between, they did come in RWD only but only a couple times did I have to show the selector was in 4WD.

10. David29

David29 Supporting Member

This reminds me of a kerfuffle among Mercedes Benz fans a few years ago when that marque's badge "system" was changed. There had been a certain logic to the model designations (e.g., 300E and later E300 meant an E-class sedan with a 3-liter gas engine, etc.) and the system was changed. The details are lost to me now, because I no longer pay much attention to Mercedes, but it is amusing how fans/owners can get attached to the system of model identifiers....

11. David29

Right. Being old, I can remember when some cars even had badges to announce they had an automatic transmission!

12. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Everything from cars like you mention that are implicitly AWD (Subarus) to pickups to stuff that there is no reasonable expectation of AWD like minivans. It’s never taken me more than a nod or saying “4 wheel drive” to get through a checkpoint.

Can’t imagine someone walking around the back of the car to try and look at a snow and sand covered badge before letting someone through. Maybe it happens to the real shifty touristy looking folk that they have a strong suspicion they’ll be pulling out of a ditch later... ;)

13. BigNick

BigNick Member

They didn’t want to leave it blank but didn’t want to tool up for a new badge so they recycled the Model 3 one?

14. David29

What do the new ones say about the battery size or range, if anything? Are they badged as "Long Range" and so on? I have not yet seen any Model S or X cars with the new model designations.

15. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

I’m sure anyone can order 75D, 100D or P100D badges from Tesla and have them switched post buy.

I agree dual motor is odd to put on a model which only sells awd. SR or LR maybe more appropriate.
    Or I guess PLR?

• Like x 1
  16. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

You make a good point but the Mercedes badges still mean something relative. You can tell what type of a vehicle it is and how it performs relative to other models of the same type based on the 3 digit number with the 2 digit numbers reserved for AMG performance models.

Whereas the Dual Motor badges covey nothing useful. This is going to make a mess of the used car market later down the road also...

I wish the Model S redesign included a sunroof option, but instead we get the badging from the Model 3 :p

• Like x 1
  17. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Eh?

18. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

PhilDavid, are you serious rating my post about S previously being available RWD disagree?

Are you that uninformed or just so insecure being corrected makes you cry rather than helps you learn.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  19. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Member

Technically, the Prius and Volt have one motor and one engine.

20. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

It makes even less sense for a current production Model S, because they are only selling AWD Model S vehicles so they are all Dual Motor. If you are buying a 2019 Model S, the Dual Motor badge is pointless because in 2019 all Model S vehicles are dual motor.

• Disagree x 1