Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the point of the "Dual Motor" badge ina Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if serious

Very. Google Caltrans R2.
  • R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow or all season tires on all four wheels.
Whenever there’s more than an inch or two of snow on the mountain roads, Caltrans puts checkpoints up and inspects every vehicle. For vehicles that come in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, they look for badging or even inside to verify your selector is in 4x4. Besides badging there is no way for a road worker to tell the Tesla variants apart. It’s not like you can see the differentials underneath.

Very. Google Caltrans R2.
  • R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow or all season tires on all four wheels.
Whenever there’s more than an inch or two of snow on the mountain roads, Caltrans puts checkpoints up and inspects every vehicle. For vehicles that come in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, they look for badging or even inside to verify your selector is in 4x4. Besides badging there is no way for a road worker to tell the Tesla variants apart. It’s not like you can see the differentials underneath.
Not once did I have caltrans “verify” that my model s was AWD
They asked and just let me through
Heck I even went through with my 21 Michelin tires which are a no no in the snow

Reactions: boaterva and Sherlo
For vehicles that come in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, they look for badging or even inside to verify your selector is in 4x4. Besides badging there is no way for a road worker to tell the Tesla variants apart. It’s not like you can see the differentials underneath.

I've never had this happen ever. At best, they ask you if your car is AWD before waving you through..

Reactions: ucmndd
Caltrans puts checkpoints up and inspects every vehicle. For vehicles that come in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, they look for badging or even inside to verify your selector is in 4x4.

Lol, no they don’t. I’ve been through *hundreds* of California chain control checkpoints. Never once has anyone ever “inspected” my car to make sure it’s AWD.

They used to have a perfectly fine P100D performance badge with or without an underline that meant something.

I'm trying to understand the point of the "Dual Motor" badge for new Model S deliveries. Is it so you can have conversations like the following? :p

Q: What kind of a Model S did you buy?
A: Oh, it's a "Dual Motor" Model S. That's what it says in the back.

Q: Wait, I thought all Model S are "Dual Motor." Why do you need a badge for that?
Q: How else can you have a pointless badge that means absolutely nothing?

Seriously, I find the "Dual Motor" badge for the Model S to be really silly. Of all the great features in the Model 3, the pointless badge is what we get? :p

Cars have all sorts of silly badges, proclaiming some little bit of engine tech that's in the car. They do that even if there's no other option for that car. It's marketing.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Lol, no they don’t. I’ve been through *hundreds* of California chain control checkpoints. Never once has anyone ever “inspected” my car to make sure it’s AWD.

What were you driving? They never check inside my Q7, probably cause they know Audi’s Quattro system is permanent AWD and they all have it, but used to check my Wrangler’s big 4x4 handle was up a fair portion on the time. My Pathfinder was in between, they did come in RWD only but only a couple times did I have to show the selector was in 4WD.

This reminds me of a kerfuffle among Mercedes Benz fans a few years ago when that marque's badge "system" was changed. There had been a certain logic to the model designations (e.g., 300E and later E300 meant an E-class sedan with a 3-liter gas engine, etc.) and the system was changed. The details are lost to me now, because I no longer pay much attention to Mercedes, but it is amusing how fans/owners can get attached to the system of model identifiers....

What were you driving? They never check inside my Q7, probably cause they know Audi’s Quattro system is permanent AWD and they all have it, but used to check my Wrangler’s big 4x4 handle was up a fair portion on the time. My Pathfinder was in between, they did come in RWD only but only a couple times did I have to show the selector was in 4WD.

Everything from cars like you mention that are implicitly AWD (Subarus) to pickups to stuff that there is no reasonable expectation of AWD like minivans. It’s never taken me more than a nod or saying “4 wheel drive” to get through a checkpoint.

Can’t imagine someone walking around the back of the car to try and look at a snow and sand covered badge before letting someone through. Maybe it happens to the real shifty touristy looking folk that they have a strong suspicion they’ll be pulling out of a ditch later... ;)

They used to have a perfectly fine P100D performance badge with or without an underline that meant something.

I'm trying to understand the point of the "Dual Motor" badge for new Model S deliveries. Is it so you can have conversations like the following? :p

Q: What kind of a Model S did you buy?
A: Oh, it's a "Dual Motor" Model S. That's what it says in the back.

Q: Wait, I thought all Model S are "Dual Motor." Why do you need a badge for that?
Q: How else can you have a pointless badge that means absolutely nothing?

Seriously, I find the "Dual Motor" badge for the Model S to be really silly. Of all the great features in the Model 3, the pointless badge is what we get? :p

What do the new ones say about the battery size or range, if anything? Are they badged as "Long Range" and so on? I have not yet seen any Model S or X cars with the new model designations.

This reminds me of a kerfuffle among Mercedes Benz fans a few years ago when that marque's badge "system" was changed. There had been a certain logic to the model designations (e.g., 300E and later E300 meant an E-class sedan with a 3-liter gas engine, etc.) and the system was changed. The details are lost to me now, because I no longer pay much attention to Mercedes, but it is amusing how fans/owners can get attached to the system of model identifiers....

You make a good point but the Mercedes badges still mean something relative. You can tell what type of a vehicle it is and how it performs relative to other models of the same type based on the 3 digit number with the 2 digit numbers reserved for AMG performance models.

Whereas the Dual Motor badges covey nothing useful. This is going to make a mess of the used car market later down the road also...

I wish the Model S redesign included a sunroof option, but instead we get the badging from the Model 3 :p

Reactions: Cheburashka