TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's the point of the "Dual Motor" badge ina Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PhilDavid, May 26, 2019.

1. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

At the rate Tesla updates their cars (big updates and small ones) they should put the month and year of manufacture on the back of the car lol.

• Funny x 5
  2. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

It’s worse than that. All of the 2019 Model S’s are Model S’s. The “Model S” badge is pointless.

And don’t get me started on the fact that all Teslas are Teslas.

I do concede, if I was buying a new model S or 3, that dorky “dual motor” badge would be the first thing to go. Not because it’s pointless, but because it’s ugly and badges are stupid.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

Just did this yesterday - cheers

• Like x 1
  4. Nick B

Nick B Member

Don't worry, he disliked 2 other of my posts in a tread where he wasn't participating simply because I disliked one of his previous post.

• Disagree x 1
  5. iRia

iRia Member

Something such as, look at me, I spent $130k on this car?

6. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

Lol.
    And why not? Wouldn’t one want a 911 turbo to actually say turbo? A BMW M5 to say M? An AMG to actually say AMG?

If you’ve earned it, I say don’t be timid abt it. Being an ass abt it no...being humble but proud of what you’ve earned...sure. We wear badges every day with what we wear, what we eat, the size and stature of our homes, the success of our careers and that of our kids...it’s ok to display what we have earned in life as long as one remains humble abt it and not flaunt it in people’s face. That’s my take.

P100D is an iconic car...display it :)

• Like x 4
  7. Wyomingtim

Wyomingtim Member

• Love x 1
  8. SanDiegoGuy

SanDiegoGuy Member

Wait, so you are saying that a Model S 75D is the same as a 75?

All this time I thought that the D behind the number means dual motor and the one without the D is just a rear wheel drive. I also thought that a 75D is more expensive than a 75.

9. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Member

Badging is for the vast majority of people who have no idea what the specs are for your car. They aren't so that the owner doesn't forget. For instance, I know nothing about BMWs, so an AWD badge would mean something to me as a bystander even if ALL BMW cars have ALWAYS had AWD.

10. kqnjml

kqnjml Member

I agree badging is not for everyone but this Dual Motor badge creates more confusion and really doesn’t do much to identify the models. I will have my performance Raven dual motor badge removed and leave it blank for now until someone comes up with a logical badge for the Raven. C’mon Tesla you can do better than this.

11. Navsarin

Lol. I’d just order the battery size decals and slap them on.

• Like x 1
  12. electronblue

electronblue Active Member

I think there is a separate argument on how to best badge Teslas. Dual motor badge alone does not seem very informative, I agree.

That said, I’m not sure having a single badge for the time being is problematic. It might be useful. With Tesla’s penchant for change, there may well come a time when single or triple motor Model S are again manufactured and it is useful that the previous batches had some identifying mark on them to give a rough idea about the type and age of the car.

So personally I’m not against badging the model even if currently there is only one kid. That manufacturing reality might well change and soon a badge may make a difference in this way.

• Like x 1
  13. Navsarin

Surprised they didn’t have simple badging of SR, LR and PLR with a line or not. Easy and denotes what the car is.

Gets away from displaying battery size as they wish. And let’s buyers and potential buyers know what’s out there.

14. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

I'm disappointed by "DUAL MOTOR" as well. For the time being, it differentiates the Raven cars, but does little to differentiate within them: standard / long range (same!) / performance (underline) / performance + ludicrous (red in underline). If anything, if they do a triple-motor car, it will call out that the current performance car is somehow less. So I'm taking mine off.

Equally confusing is the lack of "MODEL S" on the left. So taking off "DUAL MOTOR" balances the look for me.

15. kskog

kskog Member

Soon they will introduce cars with 3 motors, then it makes more sense. I guess it will say Tri Motor or Triple Motor. I guess there will also be a 3 motor version of Model 3/Y.

• Like x 1
  16. BigNick

BigNick Member

Quad-motor direct-drive, no diffs or CV shafts!

Unsprung weight might be an issue, however.

17. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

"Dual Motor" seems to be a divisive badge for Tesla. I can see arguments both ways- at least it's honest.
    But:
    How about the Taycan's new badge? "Turbo".
    Now THAT'S taking the piss!!

• Funny x 1
  18. PPower19

PPower19 Member

@ICUDoc Haha.. god one
    My guess is that Tesla just want to align the badging across the models.

19. Bridor

Bridor Member

I debadged my P100DL - I do not want anyone knowing what I have and I mostly leave it in Chill mode. I will put it in Ludicrous for friends and family to see what it is all about... I have debadged all three of my Tesla vehicles. I vote for no badges being put on the back of this amazing vehicle.

Brent

• Like x 1
  20. Navsarin

No disrespect but if leaving in chill mode, why not simply have a 75D?

When I put mine into chill mode my wife always jokingly asks me 2 questions, with that ‘wife look’...the one which guarantees I’m wrong lol.

1. Did you buy a Honda Civic?
    2. Is our payment a Honda Civic?

No? Then take it off chill before I make you return this stupidly expensive toy.’

Doh!

• Like x 1