Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what's the procedure for service center drop off / loaners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
my FM radio is still screwed up even after mobile service replaced the antenna amplifier, so i scheduled another appointment hoping they would just come back and replace the radio unit itself (since that is what most people in the various FM radio threads have said fixed the issue). just got a text that they need me to bring it in (without an explanation as to why), and scheduled me for the middle of a weekday afternoon.

the nearest service center is over an hour away, i can't just take 3+ hours off in the middle of the day to take the car in for service...is there a procedure in place for dropping the car off early / getting a loaner?

Last time I had service done I just dropped it off first thing in the morning, was assigned a loaner, and then drove to work where I waited for them to call me later in the day to let me know I had until 6 to pick it up.

i work from home and like i said the SC is over an hour away, so that's not an option for me. even if i get up early and drive down there right when they open, i'd still have to take another hour or two (depending on traffic) off for the drive home...not gonna happen. i'm not burning personal/vacation time to have my car worked on.

Ok, I was actually confused ;) It sounds like you want the service center to extend their hours so that you can drop off and pick up when it's convenient for your schedule, including the long drive. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Good luck!

didn't say that either. you're really good at putting words in my mouth.

i asked what the procedure is for a potential early drop off and/or loaner. that's all. dropping the car off when the SC opens at 9am for a 1pm appointment would technically be dropping off early. so would dropping it off the day before, right before they close for the night.

nowhere did i say i wanted to drop off or pick up outside of business hours.

• Disagree
Reactions: adys123
My service center seemed to do Uber credits if it was same day and loaner was extended. They gave me $200 for the day, also i didnt know this but the credit is only good for a day or 2. Never really used uber prior to that.

my FM radio is still screwed up even after mobile service replaced the antenna amplifier, so i scheduled another appointment hoping they would just come back and replace the radio unit itself (since that is what most people in the various FM radio threads have said fixed the issue). just got a text that they need me to bring it in (without an explanation as to why), and scheduled me for the middle of a weekday afternoon.

the nearest service center is over an hour away, i can't just take 3+ hours off in the middle of the day to take the car in for service...is there a procedure in place for dropping the car off early / getting a loaner?

You can always change the appointment in the app to a time/day more convenient. Some service centers have Saturday hours and one by me is running a night shift.

Otherwise, you need to call and ask if they have an alternate drop off option.

You can always change the appointment in the app to a time/day more convenient. Some service centers have Saturday hours and one by me is running a night shift.

Otherwise, you need to call and ask if they have an alternate drop off option.

yeah, i ended up finding a saturday option (it's a week later, so it didn't show up initially).

I initially found your post confusing as well.

I'd just call them.

i'm not really sure what was confusing about my post. i've always done this with my other cars prior to having a tesla (dropped off early in the AM or the night before). i figured i'd ask here how tesla handles this to avoid having to annoy them with a pointless phone call for a question that perhaps could be answered here.

i didn't realize this was such a controversial thing. god bless the internet, i guess.

Uber credits simply don’t work for some of us with longer commutes so mobile service can be a godsend in some cases.

I get that loaners are in short supply since they’re selling everything not bolted down however that does beg the question whether they’d do good to take used cars in as loaners for a short time before turning them back around on the market.

uber credits might work if you live within 20 miles of the service center and do NOT drive a lot during the day. My commute alone is 70 miles and the daily uber credits would basically cover to/from work (unless there is surge pricing) and that's it. Now imagine someone living 1-2 hours away from a SC ....

uber credits might work if you live within 20 miles of the service center and do NOT drive a lot during the day. My commute alone is 70 miles and the daily uber credits would basically cover to/from work (unless there is surge pricing) and that's it. Now imagine someone living 1-2 hours away from a SC ....
This is me in a nutshell. And the rub here is that even then while I could get an uber to most of my worksites: getting one back home from there is a whole other story.