Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the process for paint / alignment defect correction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my M3 yesterday, a few paint / alignment issues were noted at the time. I've now found a few more very minor issues (within the 100 mile limit I was told was available for reporting). So I've taken photos as a record.

Is it possible to email service?
If I book an appointment via the app, how does it work?
You can add details there and request an appointment. What I'd like to know is what happens when you turn up for the appointment?

a) Is it just an appointment to assess the issues?
b) Are minor issues sorted out then and there (eg a bit of buffing and polishing)?
c) If they want it all day do you get a Tesla loan car?
d) If you have to bring it back another day and leave it with them do you always get a loaner Tesla?

Make an appointment through the app ASAP (before you do any more miles), put text descriptions of the faults in the appointment detail box.

It is not possible to email service. Once you get an SMS from them then you can reply.

I'm at the stage of a pending appointment so far and don't know what happens next :)

Not trying to start anything as I am awaiting my model 3 - but

If it was any other brand new car, would you have taken it from the dealership in it's current state or would you have rejected it?

I'm curious because I would just flat out reject it if there is any issues with it no matter how long it takes for a replacement to arrive.

Reactions: ChrisA70 and zayn
I've not picked up mine yet, but I can tell you that I'm already waaaaaay more fussy about my delivery than any other car I've previously bought.

I didn't even bother looking at my other new cars and didn't notice any issues.

I can see on my VW Sharan the paint issues are huge.... Rust and massive paint runs under the car to name the most serious, both not covered by warranty. Wasn't something I was even aware of for checking and doesn't really affect the car function at all - we driven it for over 3 years already. Also had big rattles (now fixed - and not by VW) due to wheel arch fixing being missing. None of that prevented me from buying the car. I wasn't even aware to look for it. The brakes still squeak and the wheel still makes odd faint ratcheting sounds...

My 7 series had a few minor scratches. The state of it right now, looks like it's been though a sand storm.

I just can't imagine myself rejecting delivery unless it's something ultra serious, like doors don't close...

If it was any other brand new car, would you have taken it from the dealership in it's current state or would you have rejected it?

I would definitely have taken it. The issues are very minor, attached are photos of the two worst.

Door low.png

Dink.png

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Make an appointment through the app ASAP (before you do any more miles), put text descriptions of the faults in the appointment detail box.

It is not possible to email service. Once you get an SMS from them then you can reply.

I'm at the stage of a pending appointment so far and don't know what happens next :)

I thought that when you went through the app you actually chose an appointment date and time to take the car to your chosen location. Are you saying that you then have to wait for confirmation of your appointment?

I thought that when you went through the app you actually chose an appointment date and time to take the car to your chosen location. Are you saying that you then have to wait for confirmation of your appointment?
No, you're right, you do the whole thing, pick the reason, the location, the date and time, put the description in the box.

The next thing that happened for me was I got a text from them confirming and asking if I wanted an uber/taxi. I replied saying I'd quite like a car (not in those exact words). Yesterday they texted me asking for photos of the damage which I provided.

They said in the text that because I had reported after 100 miles it wold all be subject to review, but the one issue I reported via the support email within 60 miles, so pointed that out to them.

Oh, and they confirmed via text that I *will* get a car.

This 100 mile limit to report initial issues, is this documented? I thought Tesla gave you 7 days from delivery to report issues?

My drive back home from the Birmingham delivery centre is just under 100 miles so it seems a tad unreasonable if you ask me, especially if they hurry you through the handover meeting to get the cars out. Although to be honest, usually in the excitement of picking up a new car at a showroom it's very, very easy to miss flaws and niggles.

So is it 7 days or 100 miles, I'm confused?

This 100 mile limit to report initial issues, is this documented? I thought Tesla gave you 7 days from delivery to report issues?

My drive back home from the Birmingham delivery centre is just under 100 miles so it seems a tad unreasonable if you ask me, especially if they hurry you through the handover meeting to get the cars out. Although to be honest, usually in the excitement of picking up a new car at a showroom it's very, very easy to miss flaws and niggles.

So is it 7 days or 100 miles, I'm confused?
You sign something on a pad when you collect it, and it's probably in there somewhere. Way I see it is that the things I've noticed after the 100 miles are inarguable manufacturing or shipping defects and covered by warranty. Scratches and scuffs I can understand quibbling over.

I was told just to get back to them. My handover took about an hour with the MX and the guy was being more picky than me pointing out all kinds of paint issues. He also told me to let him know within a week of any other issues and to report them back via email. Tesla then emailed to arrange a time for a service (which was around 2 months later) since I specifically requested a loan car with 6+ seats (plus they were too busy with M3 deliveries).

For paint jobs I’ve been told it’s a trip to the bodyshop and would take about a week. I’ve also noted a number of minor issues with the car - alignment of FWD, rattle from the visor, wood trim issues etc...
The maintenance manager took note of all the issues and said they’d be sorted as well.

At the moment I have an “old” pretty banged up 2017 MX :( but can’t complain. Much better than getting a smelly ICE

No, you're right, you do the whole thing, pick the reason, the location, the date and time, put the description in the box.

The next thing that happened for me was I got a text from them confirming and asking if I wanted an uber/taxi. I replied saying I'd quite like a car (not in those exact words). Yesterday they texted me asking for photos of the damage which I provided.

They said in the text that because I had reported after 100 miles it wold all be subject to review, but the one issue I reported via the support email within 60 miles, so pointed that out to them.

Oh, and they confirmed via text that I *will* get a car.

Thanks Mark,
I've booked an appointment and sent them a link to my photos. I immediately received an email from [email protected] confirming the appointment. :)

I was told 100miles or 30 days. Which ever comes first. I only live 50 miles away so no problem. If I had been travelling further I'd have asked for 100 miles plus my journey home distance. You could always park near by and check and take the photos.

If they tell me that I'll be taking as long as it takes for my handover including inspecting the car and taking photos if necessary before I drive it away. None of that 15 minute nonsense :)

I am surprised more people who have collected there model 3 on this forum have not replied back with defects. This information should not be hidden even if it is minor

it all helps us new owners to identify what to look for and common defects on RHD models

I am surprised more people who have collected there model 3 on this forum have not replied back with defects. This information should not be hidden even if it is minor

it all helps us new owners to identify what to look for and common defects on RHD models
Maybe there aren't that many people with defects. I've posted elsewhere about my experience, but can repeat it here. There were a couple of light scratches and one heavy scratch noted at delivery (that they had tried and failed to fix because they weren't fully set up) and immediately booked in for an appointment within the next week. At that appointment they corrected those and a couple of others I hadn't spotted. Here endeth the tale of my model 3 paint defects.

What happens if your journey back from the service centre on collection day is more than 100 miles?
My journey was well over 100 miles, but I spotted the defects and made the appointment before then (and was never told a 100 mile limit, they did mention the 7 day/1,000 mile limit). If they do say that you only have 100 miles to report the issue then make sure you conduct a thorough inspection either at pickup, or before you hit 100 miles (say at a supercharger stop on the way home).

Reactions: zayn