TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What's the proper way to close the charge port door?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by HX_Guy, Dec 25, 2016.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

This may be a dumb question but how should the charger door be shut?

It can be opened by just pressing on the corner (swings open automatically) but when closing, if you try to close it with your finger, it seems like there is some resistance before it starts to close, almost as if it doesn't like you doing that - which leads me to believe it's not the proper way? Can it be closed with the key fob?

2. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

If you leave it alone, it wil eventually close on its own. I do not know exactly how long you have to wait but it is not long. I got in the habit of letting it close by itself or closing it on the touchscreen after I had to take the car in to repair the flap motor.
    ...and it is NOT a dumb question, we all continue to learn. In fact when you stop learning you are probably pushing daisies!

• Like x 1
  3. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Should close on its own. It takes mine 15 - 20 seconds before it moves.

4. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Thanks for the quick replies.

So is there a way to close it faster than waiting for it to do it on its own?

5. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I usually just guide it close, and it has a pulling force to close it shut. Just push pass the resistance initially will do.

6. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Just get in the car and drive. It will take care of itself. Also, it shows on the dash display so you can't forget it.

7. Dax279

Dax279 Member

Agreed, it closes before you even get in the car.

8. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

This is all assuming you have a car newer than ~12/2014. Prior to that, you had to close the charge port manually.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. Russell

Russell Member

Yes there is. You can hold down the rear trunk button on the keyfob for 1-2 seconds to open or close the door.

• Informative x 1
  10. cynix

cynix Member

Or for cars with Mennekes type 2 connectors (EU/APAC except JP), newer than ~03/2016.

11. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Trying to remember, wasn't the auto closing charge port door initially released only on the Dual Motor models? My P85D was built in 11/2014 and has the auto closing charge port door. My recollection is it was initially put in to service when the P85D was released.

Mike

12. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Correct, all D's have the powered charge port door. Non-D's I think got it around 3/15.

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

If you close a port on a car prior to 12/14, there is no resistance like there is on the servo controlled doors, so I never force it closed myself. I always let it shut it self.

14. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

As everybody's said already, it'll autoclose. But, I've also found that just giving it a forceful tap/light slap (nowhere near hard enough to focrce it closed) triggers the auto-closing mechanism.

15. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

I did some testing and got it all nailed down...guess I could have done this testing before but now we all get to learn. :)

The charger door will open without physically touching it by holding down the "trunk" of the remote FOB for a couple of seconds. To close it, just click once on the "roof" of the FOB, which in addition to locking the doors, also closes the charge port door.