Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the range of your fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fobs seem to be very short ranged when it comes to unlocking, opening doors ect. Batteries are new in the fobs and initially I thought it must be low batteries as auto unlock didn't work. Then I learned from these forums that the current software has a bug that is not allowing auto unlock to function but I still need to get within about 10 feet of the car for the car to unlock or the wings to spread.
It often occurs with a few second delay as well.
I double click on top of the fob and 2-3 seconds later the car unlocks.
My other cars remotes seem to be able to lock and unlock from over 100 feet away while the X needs us to be upclose and personal.

Is anyone else experiencing the delay in responsiveness of the fob and the need for it to be within about 10 feet for it to function?

From the owner's Manual:
Model X has sensors that can recognize the presence of a key within a range of approximately three feet (one meter).
If that is indeed is the distance at which the fob can unlock the car from via clicking it that is a little silly. I can take a step and reach the car at 3 feet and the fob provides no addional advantage in opening doors on approach.

From the owner's Manual:
Model X has sensors that can recognize the presence of a key within a range of approximately three feet (one meter).
This distance is referring to the car recognizing the key on approach BTLE , I think the OP is looking for the distance of the fob's RF signal, similar to that of a conventional key fob.