Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the record for longest service/loaner period?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, at least you got your car back. My p85 was a total loss, never to return from its last annual service appointment in 2016. As for loaners, I had always received base model 60’s for about 1-2 weeks each visit. despite what Elon says about providing fully loaded top of the line loaners. They never washed my car either. I was excited to get to keep a p90d for 4 months while they built me a replacement car. Unfortunately there was a reason someone had traded that p90d back in. The ride was horrible, I dreaded the back stiffness from its dead suspension. My better half complained about it constantly, which made it worse. The backup camera was out of focus, the winter tires made braking and handling not so good since it was high heat in the summer. The glass also didn’t have any heat rejection for some reason it was always hot inside. Tesla had no summer or all season tires to swap.

Oh, and for highway trips most loaners are limited to 80mph, which gets you honked at and flicked off by tractor trailers, even in the slow lane. I don’t drive aggressively or anything, but you gotta keep up with the safe speed of traffic.

This email just arrived. Heh. I mean, on the one hand, 5 stars, on the other hand, 1 star. If I give them five stars, they'll ignore it. If I give them one star, I suspect they'd ignore it as well.

View attachment 252566

I recently responded to a survey and rated one of the three questions low. The tow truck did not arrive on time (but wasn't horribly late). They did email me twice about my concerns. My other concern was that I never got a service record. yes, minor in comparison.

And they did not do a great job washing my car either, but it wasn't sitting in San Diego for two months near the ocean and seagulls....

Ok, here are the photos. This is how my car was returned to me after it sat out in the parking lot at the service center for eight weeks because Tesla could not get a truck any sooner. These are unretouched photos taken at night when the truck arrived and delivered my car. I just used an iPhone 6 with its built-in flash.

Look at these photos!

I ask you: if YOU worked at the Tesla Service Center, no matter WHAT your position or rank, and you knew this was the customer car's condition, and you saw the truck arrive to haul it 900mi away, would YOU let the trucker put the car on the truck in this condition, or would you tell the trucker to hold on, and scramble to CLEAN THE CAR!?

The irony here is that if they'd just put the car on a simple, open-air flatbed truck and transported it to me, it'd have probably arrived cleaner because over the course of the four-day journey it'd probably been exposed to some major downpours of rain. Instead, they put this filthy thing on an expensive covered trailer which probably cost the company a fortune and ultimately will cost me a fortune to fix the paint job.

View attachment 252645 View attachment 252647View attachment 252646 View attachment 252648 View attachment 252649 View attachment 252650 View attachment 252651 View attachment 252652 View attachment 252653
I think your forgetting were in a drought over here in So.Cal.!!!!;):)

Yeah... I was wondering the same thing! :)
The funny part is I got the “alarm” or accident message while I was test driving a model X just for fun. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, since maybe they were testing the cars systems during service visit. My friends think the cars can talk to each other. My car felt so jealous of my cheating on it with an X, it committed suicide by jumping off the lift.

The photos are worst than your descriptions!

Something seriously went wrong in San Diego. Perhaps someone in the SD area (from the Forum family) could have looked into this for you? Shouldn't have to though, but after all the misconnected communications I would have phoned a friend or made the trip back to SD.

Having seen the inside of several large companies for customer support I can tell you it always come down to the people. The process is important of course but not the deciding factor. Naturally if the volume is crazy high than all bets are off for an individual case. Does it really affect someones pay/benefits that 1 customer got a dirty car?

INCONCEIVABLE! WE all feel your pain Tinm. Sorry you've had to go through this.

Having had the exact opposite responsiveness in Tesla's service calls on my 2013S, I can't imagine how the SD service center & Tesla support could have screwed this up so badly. Locally Santa Barbara, Van Nuys, and Agoura, CA as well as Austin TX and San Francisco on long trips have fixed problems quickly and kept me in the loop on progress. Considering that my San Francisco and Agoura visits are current (I'm driving a new X100D loaner.) I suggest that you press Tesla management for a complete detail - I would contact the SD manager and work you way up. When we bought our CPO, Santa Barbara went overboard and sent it out to a body shop for a complete detail with a 2 week P85D loaner. Hope you get satisfactory resolution to this and please let us know if and when Tesla comes through.

One of the safety’s broke on the lift. No one was hurt, except the car. Damage on all 5 sides, twisted frame, etc.
How exactly did they compensate you? Did they basically give you a credit for the value of the car at that time?

On another not I emailed my Tesla SC with a very easy question for them to answer. It has only been 30 hours, but I expected a same day answer. I am expecting no answer at this point.

When my P90D was 7 months old a problem occurred with my main battery. They put a loaner in, saying my battery would be sent back to CA. remanufactured and be back in a month. 6 months later I was told that it was in transit.

They removed the loaner, installed my newly remanufactured battery, but when they then ran diagnostics they found it was defective, would not hold a charge. After a month of yelling at them for their insane rules against simply replacing the battery they agreed to, so it took a total of 7 months.

On a less irritating scale, the problem with my radio coming off mute when you open a door, or when a phone call ends remains unfixed since I got the car 2+ years ago. But, I do have the Rainbow Road and Cowbell bullshit upgrades, which is apparently where their idiots are spending their time.

• Funny
Reactions: Chopr147
You know, it's actually kindof comforting to read this whole nightmarish thread. I'm sorry for what you went through, @tinm, obviously, but it's validating to see I'm not the only one with a horriffic experience.

Mine was delivery of my "new" (fleet) 2017 S90D - there was junk in the car, it hadn't been detailed, they told me it had, they never called, people dropped off the face of the earth, they cancelled my delivery and gave evasive answers, which changed every two days when I called them...the entire thing left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth, which is a drag - I've been a huge fan, and finally taking delivery was a really exciting time for me. I documented it all, photos, times of calls, emails, etc. - apparently it was surfaced to the regional sales manager. *shrug*.

Anyway - I think this company is really dysfunctional when it comes to simple Customer Service. They screw up something terrible, then they have to do things to make it up to us, when all we want is some simple courtesy and a modicum of competence. (In my case, they comped me the Wall Charging Station I was going to buy anyway. Nice, for sure - but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a smooth, clean delivery experience.)

Thanks for sharing with us all the details.

UPDATE:

I went to a local detailer today and showed him the pictures of my dirty car as returned to me from San Diego, then we looked at my now-washed car out in the parking lot at his business.

He was shocked at the photos and astonished Tesla would ever send a car in that condition to a customer.

Then he did a thorough walkaround of my car to evaluate the paint job. He grimaced most of the time. It was like it was actually painful for him just to look at my car. His recommendation: full paint restoration followed by application of a new clear coat. His ballpark guess was seven business days' worth of labor and a cost of around $1800. And those estimates could go up.

I kinda think between the lines he was suggesting don't bother w/ the detailing as this is a 4-year-old-car; sell the car and get a new one instead. If only I could but I got a Model 3 coming next; hopefully after that I get a new S.

I'm gonna get a few more estimates elsewhere then decide what to do.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
Ok, here are the photos. This is how my car was returned to me after it sat out in the parking lot at the service center for eight weeks because Tesla could not get a truck any sooner. These are unretouched photos taken at night when the truck arrived and delivered my car. I just used an iPhone 6 with its built-in flash.

Look at these photos!

I ask you: if YOU worked at the Tesla Service Center, no matter WHAT your position or rank, and you knew this was the customer car's condition, and you saw the truck arrive to haul it 900mi away, would YOU let the trucker put the car on the truck in this condition, or would you tell the trucker to hold on, and scramble to CLEAN THE CAR!?

The irony here is that if they'd just put the car on a simple, open-air flatbed truck and transported it to me, it'd have probably arrived cleaner because over the course of the four-day journey it'd probably been exposed to some major downpours of rain. Instead, they put this filthy thing on an expensive covered trailer which probably cost the company a fortune and ultimately will cost me a fortune to fix the paint job.

View attachment 252645 View attachment 252647View attachment 252646 View attachment 252648 View attachment 252649 View attachment 252650 View attachment 252651 View attachment 252652 View attachment 252653

I'm usually a pretty patient person, but if I gave my $143,000 car to Tesla and I got it back like this I'd be going through consumer affairs and getting a new one.

Damn... I thought the case I was relaying on the Model X forum was bad. This is worse.
I needed a rental car for my SO and the rep asked me what I wanted... I jokingly said Model 3.
Rep let out a grown and said that Teslas were the worst... then relayed a story about a client
who has been without his Model X for 3 months. His rental car was for 30 days, so he would
come and get a rental on weekends. Here we are 2-3 weeks later and the Rep calls me to settle
the rental balance, I asked about the Model X client... still doesn't have his car, going on 4 months.