Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the record for longest service/loaner period?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
undoing of Tesla: continuation of the communications fiasco is what will be its undoing.

Agree here and a legitimate worry. I think we at TMC know Model 3 buyers will not be as patient with Tesla as early adopters.
I have had mostly positive service experiences with Tesla but being a TMC member I know that could change quickly. :eek:
I am a Tesla fanboy but my loyalty can change with so many OEM's committed to making EV's. Loyalty goes both ways .
The communication problems were apparent to me when I was purchasing my S in 2016. I HATE repeating my story to different representatives over and over! Tesla MUST know they have these issues................right? Inexcusable for any company

Reactions: JayyyDeee
Does it really affect someones pay/benefits that 1 customer got a dirty car?

Not sure what you mean here. The dirty car was just the cherry on top of a horrible experience

They removed the loaner, installed my newly remanufactured battery,

I hate this! Same with cell phones. Why am I getting a remanufactured one? I want a NEW one, that's what I paid for the first time. But I digress........................
My plan is another Tesla at end of lease but , in 2019 and other EV choices out there..............................
I really am rooting for the Model 3 to be mostly problem free

UPDATE:

I went to a local detailer today and showed him the pictures of my dirty car as returned to me from San Diego, then we looked at my now-washed car out in the parking lot at his business.

He was shocked at the photos and astonished Tesla would ever send a car in that condition to a customer.

Then he did a thorough walkaround of my car to evaluate the paint job. He grimaced most of the time. It was like it was actually painful for him just to look at my car. His recommendation: full paint restoration followed by application of a new clear coat. His ballpark guess was seven business days' worth of labor and a cost of around $1800. And those estimates could go up.

I kinda think between the lines he was suggesting don't bother w/ the detailing as this is a 4-year-old-car; sell the car and get a new one instead. If only I could but I got a Model 3 coming next; hopefully after that I get a new S.

I'm gonna get a few more estimates elsewhere then decide what to do.

There is no way your car sitting in the parking lot for 8 weeks ruined the paint. Otherwise damn near every new car on any dealership lot would be "ruined." You're being quoted 4 years worth of wear and tear on the paint to be repaired. A new clearcoat? That's the dumbest *sugar* I've ever heard. Unless your paint is totally screwed because of poor care habits, he can restore it and leave it at that... at which point it'd be in your best interest to get a ceramic coating to maintain the newly repaired paint. But if you don't plan on keeping the car for 10 years, why are you even considering this? Save your money for your next car instead.

I'm usually a pretty patient person, but if I gave my $143,000 car to Tesla and I got it back like this I'd be going through consumer affairs and getting a new one.

Money seems to have you out of touch with reality. Receiving a dirty (exterior) car back from service does not warrant a brand new vehicle. Reimbursement of some sort if there's a loss (e.g. damage), sure. A new car? L O L.

I hate this! Same with cell phones. Why am I getting a remanufactured one? I want a NEW one, that's what I paid for the first time. But I digress........................
My plan is another Tesla at end of lease but , in 2019 and other EV choices out there..............................

Because you didn't send in a new phone, or a new battery. You sent in a used item. Why are you entitled to a brand new one? You aren't.

Not sure it is reasonable to have such expectations "mostly problem free." Your car may come problem free - but the other guy's may not. He will conclude Model 3 is a fiasco. You will opine differently.

Tesla is a new company. For it to have come so far in such a small time frame is simply unheard of. Yes, they still need to maintain quality and customer service with all the progress they are showing. But rest assure, Tesla is redefining our entire transportation infrastructure. In a few years time - ICE cars will be yesterday's horse carriage.

Purchasing from a new car company - we should calibrate our expectations taking all factors into account. "Almost problem free" for a new company is not proper calibration. You have companies who have over 100 years of car manufacturing experience, but no one expects an "almost trouble free" vehicle from them.

Reactions: neroden
How long will Tesla be a new company? They are on car number 3/4 now, plus they have hired some very experienced folks so they really have no excuses (same as other companies) for poor customer service. Possibly they have too much volume but thats what a good process will solve.

How long will Tesla be a new company? They are on car number 3/4 now, plus they have hired some very experienced folks so they really have no excuses (same as other companies) for poor customer service. Possibly they have too much volume but thats what a good process will solve.

For the short period I've had my car - the couple of times I've made contact with Customer Service - they have been responsive, polite, and accurate. The first time I took my car in for service, it was fixed within 5 minutes.

Every time I get into my car - the experience is simply unmatched. The performance - the smooth drive - a truly revolutionary experience. I'm already planning my next purchase for my son.

Because you didn't send in a new phone, or a new battery. You sent in a used item. Why are you entitled to a brand new one? You aren't.

Maybe I didn't articulate quite clearly. I had a week old iPhone that died, just died. Returned it and Verizon insisted on giving me a re-manufactured phone despite my objections.

Not sure it is reasonable to have such expectations "mostly problem free."

Yes it is reasonable to expect! If Tesla is unable to make a "mostly problem free car" then they do not belong in the car business.
Tesla's honeymoon will be over with the Model 3. I went into buying a Model S with the "new car company" mentality and was patient any time I had an issue. Elon keeps telling us what a simple build the 3 is. I hope he's right

• Informative
Tesla loaners? - longest for me was over a weekend in a brand new X100D.

Previously an Audi dealer kept my RS5 for two and a half weeks, apparently waiting parts for a gearbox fault.
Eventually I was told the parts had come in, and I got the car back the following day
with 2000 miles extra on the odometer :mad:

- apparently it was road testing to ensure the fix worked (in 24h!), and funnily enough they lost the originial service docket that had the mileage on it when I took it in, and flat denied they had done all those miles in it. As it was less than 3 months old I checked with the car valuation guides and those miles cost me nearly £5000 ! :mad::mad::mad:

Audi when contacted about the matter absolved themselves of all responsibility saying it was an issue between me and the dealer (that they appointed the franchise to).

The lying piece of cr@p of a dealer never did admit their abuse and never got any further business from me.
Volkswagen/Audi and its other sub-brands with never get an ounce of business from me again either.

(just one of many atrocious incidents I suffered at the hand of Audi dealers)

To date I have had nothing but exemplary interaction with Tesla and luckily nothing more than minor issues with the cars.
So when I read of others having problems I share their frustration but I always think back to my experience with the lying deceitful bunch called VAG Audi and their dealers and know absolutely that Tesla are rewriting the rules in so many ways, and yes there are problems, but no we must never go back to the old dealer sales/support lack of accountability model again.

What do you mean "Well done Tesla?" This thread should never have needed to be started.

I've experienced similar horror and would NEVER buy Tesla again!

Communications ARE useless. Diagnostics are useless. Service is USELESS! My car has been in the shop more than mot for the past 8 weeks.
Keeps coming back with the same problems.
Never a Tesla loaner.

People could not be nicer but nicer doesn't cut it.

Used to drink the cool aid, "worship" everything Tesla ... then reality struck.

Sadly ... I live in a gated community of > 1000 homes. A few know me. Everyone knows my car. And EVERYONE is familiar with Tesla tow trucks coming in and out of here. Word quickly spread as to the reliability of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
Ugh, yes I totally understand. Tesla communication is pretty bad. One of my biggest issues isn't with the car but with charging hardware. And it seems like I fell into a void of customer support.

I have 3 HPWCs installed at my house with load sharing enabled. At night the cars charge and they interrupt all night long. On some nights the cars don't even charge. I get the red ring on the charge ports and get a variety of errors, such as "Charge Cable Fault", "Check Wall Power", and "No Master". This is critical because this is essentially my primary fueling station.

I call Tesla's hotline and diagnose the issue with tier 1 support. They give me the usual reset the HPWC instructions. No dice. They transfer me to Tesla's Charging Installation team. Again they troubleshoot with me and I give them the timestamps and they say that they'll pull the logs and call me back. Never heard from them ever again. I call and they don't answer. I call another time. Same tier 1 support having me do basic troubleshooting, they transfer me again, and same as last time. We'll look at the logs and call you back. Absolutely no follow up.

Oh wait, my electrician was a Tesla certified partner electrician. I call him. This is the 3rd time he has come over to fix the issue. Already replaced one of the "faulty" HPWCs and checked the wiring and load sharing settings. He gives me the phone number to someone from the charging installation team after troubleshooting for about an hour with Tesla's technical team. Still getting charge interrupts. So I call the guy that I was referred to and he never picks up. I leave messages. No responses. I email him. Nothing.

So now I call Tesla's charging installation team again. Told the guy the same story as I've always told. He tells me to call my electrician. I call my electrician. Now my electrician is not happy that he is essentially having to do customer support for another company's product. Pretty much says I can't keep doing this and now he's fed up and wants it done on Tesla's dime. I call back to Tesla's charging installation team. Of course it's someone new every time. I explain the story. Tells me to call my electrician. I tell him my electrician already did troubleshooting with the team. The guy says he'll call back after reviewing the logs with engineering. Never calls back ever again.

At my service visit I ask if they can send a ranger or something to diagnose charging issues. They say Tesla Service does not service Tesla charging products.

THIS IS INSANE and I have no idea how to go about this. Will definitely be sending an "escalated" email though MyTesla but this is getting pretty bad. I love Tesla, I've bought 3 cars from them, and I'm going Solar Roof and Powerwall with them too. But as the company grows this kind of communication is horrible. It's a shame since they have a fantastic product and their service teams are amazing. Tesla really needs to step up their communications game, along with scaling Service.

OP: I'm glad Tesla made it right by you. But it shouldn't have happened in the first place. And they definitely should have followed up and kept you in the loop.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
UPDATE:

[I don't know if this will get his attention but I'm mentioning @JonMc here in case that works,]

I got my S back last night. Here's a summary of the experience:

• Dropped off car on Aug 11 for emergency service in San Diego (supercharging failed). They couldn't quickly diagnose; we waited all day at the service center and they still were stumped; so they gave us an X to drive home to New Mexico in.
• At some point in late Aug I try to call the service center but of course get the "call center" who do a bang-up job trying to prevent you from actually talking to people at the service center. I tell them since my car is stuck out there in San Diego, I would like to talk to the service manager about POSSIBLY doing the annual service. They tell me they'll pass the message on. Few days later I found out they just went ahead and DID the annual service without discussing with me first! I had told them I only had QUESTIONS for the service manager about annual service, I did not give them permission to go ahead and do it. What a mess. The service manager finds out about this and is clearly frustrated and comps me the annual service. (He's a good guy. Always does the right thing. It's Tesla corporate that is f'd up.)
• On Sep 12th I get an excited text messaging saying they've secured transport for my S back to NM. They say to stay tuned for details the next day.
• Next day comes and goes. Day after that comes and goes. No truck appears. No word from anyone.
• Seems like every time I call the local service center (waiting for 10, 20+ minutes on hold and finally getting intercepted by the call center who patch me into the service center if I seem to pass their test) I get connected to a different person, who I have to explain the whole story to again.
• On Sep 22 I decide enough's enough, I use the "Escalate" in MyTesla to get exec attention, to try to get a truck allocated.
• Within 2 hours I get an email reply from Nolan on the Escalate team, saying he's opened a case, etc.
• That is the last I hear from Nolan. Ever.
• A week goes by. Nolan's email signature had the roadside assistance 877 number as his phone number. I call it the following week.
• They have no idea what the executive care team is for escalations. They don't know any Nolan.
• So I call Tesla Fremont directly, ask for Nolan. They say he has no extension. Receptionist puts me through to someone else, named Mark.
• I give Mark the story. He says he'll look into it. Later he calls and says he's got a truck, stay tuned. Okay, that is helpful!
• BUT... that's the last I hear from Mark.
• I call the San Diego service center. This is on Wednesday of this past week. They tell me the truck left with my S yesterday!
• I ask if truck driver was given instructions about dropping the S off not at house but at local supercharger. Nobody has any idea.
• 900 mile journey from San Diego to northern New Mexico, but nobody knows where truck is or how long it'll take.
• Fri morning, day four of the journey, I get a call from the truck driver, He's somewhere in AZ. He's only halfway to me. Four days.
• Driver had none of the directions or maps I'd given Tesla weeks earlier. I text him directions.
• Oh, and I ask him, you ARE planning to take this Model X loaner back to San Diego, right? Nope, knows nothing about it, he says -- he's continuing east into TX after me. Which means I'd have to hold on to the loaner AND my own car for a further indefinite period.
• I call Tesla in a panic. They patch me through to the San Diego service center. I warn them they gotta fix this, this is "fire" level emergency, the truck isn't planning to return the X. Manager agrees, total cluster$&@^, starts making calls.
• Truck driver gets told by Logistics team to take X back to San Diego :). Truck driver calls me to let me know he'll take the X.
• Truck arrives at Supercharger at 730pm last night.
• My car comes off the 18-wheeler truck trailer: it's filthy. I mean, covered in dirt, like it's been pulled from a swamp. Fingerprints everywhere. Bird poop on the windows.
• Truck driver says of the dirty car, "It's dirty alright. I'd complain..."
• But at least I have the car back. Eight weeks it took. Now I have to wash it.

Bottom line: communications at Tesla are still utter chaos and one train-wreck after another. Nobody knows anything. No-one takes ownership of the problem. The Escalate / Executive Care Team turned out to be a disorganized non-responsive mess though they did help get a truck (I think... I have no idea). The reality is, the Tesla customer has all the responsibility. The Tesla customer has to take the bull by the horns and push, push, push or nothing gets done. Tesla's bureaucracy is as bad as the Social Security Admin or a health insurance company. Plus, the layer of "call center" people they've inserted when you try to call a Tesla service center direct is unhelpful. It's classic Silicon Valley customer-avoidance, and it might look to Elon that everything has been made more efficient since the arrival of @JonMc but from the CUSTOMER'S perspective, it's more work, more delays, more expectations mismanaged, more repeating of long stories to get the latest call center stranger up to speed on this very unusual situation, etc. ALL of this is avoidable, all of it is fixable. Tesla's executive management basically does not care. If they cared they would fix this. It's gone on WAY too long: years and years. As a shareholder I have been concerned about this train-wreck of communications for years, and have said so in TMC repeatedly. Particularly concerned because of the imminent arrival of hundreds of thousands of Model 3 customers, who will NOT be anywhere near as "early adopter" as S and X folks, who are not gonna be anywhere near as forgiving at all the BS the Tesla bureaucracy forces you to endure.

Sounds about right ... my experience with Tesla customer service has been just as bad... although not as extreme as yours. Basically no organization, poor communication... and just about everyone you deal with drops the ball