Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the SAFEST way to remove ice and snow from the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could anyone who has an especially safe way of removing ice and snow from the car without scratching it share which tools or methods you use?

I'm panning to get PPF and want to keep my paint safe and also figure out the safest way to remove ice and snow without damaging the PPF when that's on the car. Don;t want any scratches or micro or nano scratches :p

Just pull out the app, and pre-heat the car for 30 minutes or so. Actually just recently saw a winter tips video for the model 3, the 3 actually has air gaps around the door handles so when you preheat the car it will melt the ice on the handles. I think last winter I felt air leaking around the handles on my S, questioned if it should be doing that, but now I know why.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
88 miles per hour usually produces heat and can even create flames in your tire tracks.

The problem is I'm concerned about being able to return to my timeline.

Last time I went on a temporal excursion, I returned on November 8th, 2016 and now I'm stuck in this miserable timeline and I don't want things to get any worse... :p

What I do is cover the wiper area with plastic wrap (at least 18" wide, but 24" is better). Unfortunately, the heater doesn't help snow in the wiper tray.
wrap_1_jerry.jpg
wrap_2_jerry.jpg
wrap_3_jerry.jpg
wrap_4_jerry.jpg

That's a great idea but does the car use the vents under the wipers to precondition the car?
The part of the windshield that is served by the defroster vents is high above the wiper tray. But even if it did heat the wiper tray, that won't help free the wipers which can get iced in--one heck of a lot of heat would be required to melt the ice in the tray in a reasonable amount of time (or they would have to be running all the time). The only way I know to have free wipers is to keep the snow and ice from accumulating in the tray.

If you know its going to snow put your wipers in service mode. Next morning turn on the windshield defroster and it will heat up your blades nicely. Then when outside clean of excess and your good. First time I got the car made the mistake of cleaning just the windshield turned on the wipers and they were stuck down there in an ice jam. It screwed up my wiper blades :(

This is what I have been using for 4 years. I am NOT saying it is guaranteed not to scratch, but it does seem to work pretty well.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B010MFY...m/images/I/61sH58qys4L.jpg&sb-ci-a=B010MFYL02

Sometimes I also use a snow brush that I have had for more years than I should have, especially for the windshield and rear window. Since they are not flat, a brush conforms to them better than the snow brum.

As for preheating, it does work for modest snow and definitely is a good idea if ice has formed on the glass. But sometimes you just have to get out there and clear the snow -- preheating could take forever.

upload_2019-11-7_16-42-26.png

And just in case you aren't aware, be super sure that you do not try to open a car door when there is a good layer of ice on the glass. The door might open, but then not close properly, because the ice adheres to the glass and prevents the mechanism from lowering the glass into the door. Then when you try to close the door, you can end up with the glass on the wrong side of the door gasket, or be unable to close the door. (Here is where I give my speech about how much I hate the frameless windows!)

Good luck!

If you know its going to snow put your wipers in service mode. Next morning turn on the windshield defroster and it will heat up your blades nicely. Then when outside clean of excess and your good. First time I got the car made the mistake of cleaning just the windshield turned on the wipers and they were stuck down there in an ice jam. It screwed up my wiper blades :(
That happened to me when service mode first came out (no winter package available when my car was made). After that I used the plastic wrap.

Reactions: technoz
This is what I have been using for 4 years. I am NOT saying it is guaranteed not to scratch, but it does seem to work pretty well.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B010MFYL02?aaxitk=l5e3TX6GjEEBqFZHdyICHQ&pd_rd_i=B010MFYL02&pf_rd_p=44fc3e0f-4b9e-4ed8-b33b-363a7257163d&hsa_cr_id=3831651690101&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61sH58qys4L.jpg&sb-ci-a=B010MFYL02

Sometimes I also use a snow brush that I have had for more years than I should have, especially for the windshield and rear window. Since they are not flat, a brush conforms to them better than the snow brum.

As for preheating, it does work for modest snow and definitely is a good idea if ice has formed on the glass. But sometimes you just have to get out there and clear the snow -- preheating could take forever.

View attachment 474237

And just in case you aren't aware, be super sure that you do not try to open a car door when there is a good layer of ice on the glass. The door might open, but then not close properly, because the ice adheres to the glass and prevents the mechanism from lowering the glass into the door. Then when you try to close the door, you can end up with the glass on the wrong side of the door gasket, or be unable to close the door. (Here is where I give my speech about how much I hate the frameless windows!)

Good luck!
My understanding is that if you spray the door gaskets with silicone, the ice doesn't stick.

My understanding is that if you spray the door gaskets with silicone, the ice doesn't stick.
Yes, I have used that method, and that is a good preventive step before winter starts. I have also used another product (Gummi Pfledge Stift, by nextzett, a German product available on Amazon) that someone on another thread recommended.
But the gaskets are not the issue with the windows getting stuck (if that is what you were commenting on). It is the glass itself getting stuck in the raised position because ice is adhering to the glass. Silicone won't help with that. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Could anyone who has an especially safe way of removing ice and snow from the car without scratching it share which tools or methods you use?

I'm panning to get PPF and want to keep my paint safe and also figure out the safest way to remove ice and snow without damaging the PPF when that's on the car. Don;t want any scratches or micro or nano scratches :p
The official Tesla "not a flamethrower"?

• Funny
Reactions: David29