Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats the silliest EV prejudice youve heard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one I've been seeing much more of recently is this claim that EVs weigh twice as much as gas cars! I just saw it again today. And so the related items are that they supposedly shred tires very quickly (as if passenger car tires would even be rated for that much weight) and that they destroy the roads.

So I looked up the weights of a Model 3 and a Honda Accord to show this guy. They were both mid 3K pounds, with the Model 3 being 498 pounds more--almost 16% heavier--certainly not "twice".
I'm sure the extra weight, even at only 16% more, doesn't help with tire wear. I do think the quicker tire wear has more to do with torque and how some of us drive our cars! Most people with sporty cars go through tires more quickly than typical Honda Accord drivers. I would actually put increased tire wear in the negative column for electric cars though we don't have to change oil, transmission fluid, radiator fluid, timing belts, etc. so those are all big positives. Finally, I've struggled to compare the Model 3 when discussing with people since it is kind of an between sized car. It feels at least as roomy as Honda Accord though I think exterior dimensions are closer to the Civic.

I've struggled to compare the Model 3 when discussing with people since it is kind of an between sized car. It feels at least as roomy as Honda Accord though I think exterior dimensions are closer to the Civic.
VehicleLengthWidth (without mirrors)HeightInterior volume
Tesla Model 3184.8"72.8"56.8"97/15 ft^3
Honda Civic183.3"70.9"55.7"99/15 ft^3
Honda Accord192.1"73.3"57.1"106/17 ft^3

I dont know about the silliest, but by far the most common feedback from those which i take for a ride in my MSLR... is that "they had no idea" of the performance. It's as if they all assume that because its an electric car, it's going to have trouble getting out of its own way and merging in traffic. It makes taking others out one of the more enjoyable parts of owning it :)

I occasionally wonder if such silly message board posts are in some cases the product of negative 'astroturfing' by oil companies or others who want to discourage EV adoption. That said, I don't discount the phenomenon of widespread simple ignorance. I do think, however, that negative propoganda or ignorance - whatever it is (perhaps both) - will inevitably be on the decline due to the increased adoption of EVs: people can see that the things they hear and fear about non-functionality of EVs are contradicted by their own eyes. Anyone in our neighbourhood who doubted that EVs can charge in the coldest of temperatures will have seen me charging our Tesla and driving away on frigid winter days in Ottawa over the past few years.

Last edited:
Stellantis (Chrysler Pacifica PHEV) and VW (ID.3) also use LG batteries and have had cars catch fire without crashing.

Tesla would be well advised to be careful to avoid getting burned using LG as a battery supplier.
Tesla already has been “burned“ by using LG cells in their “Roadster 3.0” replacement packs for the OG Roadster. Degradation was so quick that Tesla had to stop production. Last time I checked, Tesla still did not have any option to replace Roadster packs.

I occasionally wonder if such silly message board posts are in some cases the product of negative 'astroturfing' by oil companies or others who want to discourage EV adoption. That said, I don't discount the phenomenon of widespread simple ignorance. I do think, however, that negative propoganda or ignorance - whatever it is (perhaps both) - will inevitably be on the decline due to the increased adoption of EVs: people can see that the things they hear and fear about non-functionality of EVs are contradicted by their own eyes. Anyone in our neighbourhood who doubted that EVs can charge in the coldest of temperatures will have seen me charging our Tesla and driving away on frigid winter days in Ottawa over the past few years.
Absolutely the case in Many aspects. This forum alone has Hundreds of one post left field sign ins hoping to stall any progress. Do understand the fear when you look at the bigger global concern from many groups. Imagine how many muffler shops, gas stations, oil change places, unions, transmission shops, auto parts stores, etc, etc have motives Against this global shift! We knew for How long that smoking is Death yet big tobacco had Deep pockets to keep the momentum going. EV is a Major global transformation, it will Not happen without a Lot of resistance!

Absolutely the case in Many aspects. This forum alone has Hundreds of one post left field sign ins hoping to stall any progress. Do understand the fear when you look at the bigger global concern from many groups. Imagine how many muffler shops, gas stations, oil change places, unions, transmission shops, auto parts stores, etc, etc have motives Against this global shift! We knew for How long that smoking is Death yet big tobacco had Deep pockets to keep the momentum going. EV is a Major global transformation, it will Not happen without a Lot of resistance!
I don’t think that you have to look for any financial motive...the world is full of car guys who hate EVs with a passion and work for free

Here is a new one I saw today on another (non car related) message board I follow...

"So I'm hearing more stories about folks with EVs discovering that they won't charge in sub-freezing temperatures. I've also heard that attempting to do so will permanently damage the batteries! Is this true? Another reason NOT to buy an EV!"

The article that spawned this rash of "objections", was probably just written for clickbait. It's amazing what people will do to get their articles read!

The whole concept of EVS is polarizing, as is any paradigm shift. It'll eventually even out and everybody will forget all of this.

The article that spawned this rash of "objections", was probably just written for clickbait. It's amazing what people will do to get their articles read!

The whole concept of EVS is polarizing, as is any paradigm shift. It'll eventually even out and everybody will forget all of this.
Correct. I found the article later. It was a Fox News story about one Tesla owner who plugged in his car at a supercharger and it didn't charge almost causing him to miss seeing his son on Christmas. The man was quoted as saying he has heard from "a lot of people having the same issue."

Meanwhile, my son's Mazda CX7 is out of commission for a while because it has a radiator coolent leak. I'm waiting for an appointment to get it fixed and my wife will have to drive him around in the meantime. I wonder if Fox News will post a story about his plight.

Correct. I found the article later. It was a Fox News story about one Tesla owner who plugged in his car at a supercharger and it didn't charge almost causing him to miss seeing his son on Christmas. The man was quoted as saying he has heard from "a lot of people having the same issue.
My in-laws brought up that same Fox News story yesterday. It’s an opportunity to patiently explain the truth.

Screenshot from 2023-01-06 09-52-16.png

😂😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

"So I'm hearing more stories about folks with EVs discovering that they won't charge in sub-freezing temperatures.
I've seen that a time or two, and I would bet it started from someone not understanding what's going on. They plug in, and for 2 or 3 or 5 minutes, and it isn't charging, and they assume it just can't and will never charge and unplug and give up and write something about how it can't work. But it was probably having to warm for a while before beginning to charge and it would have gotten going if they would have given it more time.