Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats the silliest EV prejudice youve heard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As EV manufacturing grows and the demand grows, gas stations will be converting into electric charging stations.....Everybody has to know that big oil/gas has an umbrella of small companies in wind and solar power around the world. If we, the consumer can see the change that's going on from ICE to EV, big oil saw it 10yrs ago......
All "automobile" ads during the Super Bowl were all about EV's......
We already have quite a problem finding uses for old gas stations that go out of business - who pays for the underground fuel leak cleanup?

Silliest: The REAL cost of owning an EV is high because you must spend $50,000 to install an L3 charger in your house. Seriously.

In all fairness, they said:
"If you wanted to install a Level 3 charger in your home, it will cost you up to $50,000 or more" (emphasis by me).

But sure, that's a lot of money. Maybe I should install a gas station at my home instead so I can save money by driving an ICE. How much is it again to build a gas station? 😄

We already have quite a problem finding uses for old gas stations that go out of business - who pays for the underground fuel leak cleanup?

That was already dealt with here in California a couple decades ago. When "environmental" legislation was put through that forced like every gas station in the state to dig up and redo their tanks. In effect, it put almost all the mom 'n pop gas stations out of business to the benefit of the deep-pocketed major oil companies.

In all fairness, they said:
"If you wanted to install a Level 3 charger in your home, it will cost you up to $50,000 or more" (emphasis by me).

But sure, that's a lot of money. Maybe I should install a gas station at my home instead so I can save money by driving an ICE. How much is it again to build a gas station? 😄

It gets better if you go read the full article:
Few people will be able to afford such a costly installation for super charging their EVs, meaning that the largest number of Americans who buy EVs will be stuck with systems that take half a day to charge their vehicles. This makes their EV of more limited use than a gas-powered car that users can jump in and use at will.
Clearly it's impossible to keep your car charged so that you can just jump in and drive it off. You need to wait half a day to charge it first 🤣

I don’t think that we would do ourselves any favors by dismissing those concerns. The scenario of a mass evacuation is worth thinking about. Now we could peddle the story that ev owners can weather out the storm using their cars as generators. But we should have a stock answer to these concerns...
You should check out all the EV videos on Youtube driving around after Hurricane Ian showing all the gas stations shut down. Food for thought. The point about everyone trying to get out of town at the same time is valid, but 280 miles is a pretty long distance to go. If you wait til that late to leave you are basically asking for issues as there are also no hotels to stay at either.

So many stupid people whose heads are up there asses just don't get EV evolution that has been started. Gas stations will soon start making it 50%gas/50% charging. They will see money both ways, also when people make EV's political, Tesla alone has represented owners from both parties in our country. Congrats to all who have taken the steps to go electric, it's a huge transition.
Stupid knows no political affiliation. There are very stupid people in both parties!

You should check out all the EV videos on Youtube driving around after Hurricane Ian showing all the gas stations shut down. Food for thought. The point about everyone trying to get out of town at the same time is valid, but 280 miles is a pretty long distance to go. If you wait til that late to leave you are basically asking for issues as there are also no hotels to stay at either.
I tried to think of reasons why an EV might be bad in a mass blackout. We have wildfires and earthquakes in CA, and no hurricanes. So I’ll keep my car charged up and maybe buy one of those camping mattresses. 🙄

Let’s hope the megapack battery systems become more common because they can make a difference in a big storm. Parts of Florida had the lights on in that recent hurricane.

The most common comment I’ve heard is that the batteries will need to be replaced, costing thousands of dollars. And that a long road trip will mean spending hours at the charging stations. I actually have a neighbor who has an EV but they take their ICE car on trips. I guess they have no patience at all.

I tried to think of reasons why an EV might be bad in a mass blackout. We have wildfires and earthquakes in CA, and no hurricanes. So I’ll keep my car charged up and maybe buy one of those camping mattresses. 🙄

Let’s hope the megapack battery systems become more common because they can make a difference in a big storm. Parts of Florida had the lights on in that recent hurricane.

The most common comment I’ve heard is that the batteries will need to be replaced, costing thousands of dollars. And that a long road trip will mean spending hours at the charging stations. I actually have a neighbor who has an EV but they take their ICE car on trips. I guess they have no patience at all.
What EV does your neighbor have?

I always keep my Tesla at 80%. I have taken it on many road trips through US and Canada. Works great.

The one I've been seeing much more of recently is this claim that EVs weigh twice as much as gas cars! I just saw it again today. And so the related items are that they supposedly shred tires very quickly (as if passenger car tires would even be rated for that much weight) and that they destroy the roads.

So I looked up the weights of a Model 3 and a Honda Accord to show this guy. They were both mid 3K pounds, with the Model 3 being 498 pounds more--almost 16% heavier--certainly not "twice".

Reactions: GSP