Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats the silliest EV prejudice youve heard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • I can't charge on my holiday location (there are plenty of charging locations near your holiday location)\
  • But the charging locations are not on my holiday destination driveway (well, find a power plug at your holiday destination)
  • But power plugs are inside, I would need one outside (well, find one outside, or run an extension cord)
  • I can't be bothered to charge multiple times on my way to holiday (but you stop for food and toilet breaks)
  • But I like to stop where I want, not on a charging location (truth is you stop at a roadside rest stop with fuel station, because your car needs fuel. Which in Europe you can also find the charging locations)
  • But what if I run out of electricity (well, unlike with gas, every home has electricity, so again, run an extension cord and you're done)
  • But EV's emit CO2 too because of coal and gas plants (and solar and wind, and more efficient, so less CO2 than your gas car)
  • But EV's cause more emissions because they need lithium (at the moment they do, but the CO2 emissions bc of construction are set off quickly once you start driving them)
  • But EV's require child labour for cobalt (just like your smartphone and laptop, but they're working on cobalt-less batteries)
  • But the batteries need replacing every 100000km (they're not)
  • And the batteries are hard to recycle (you can reuse the individual cells for other applications, and 100% recycle all materials. Unlike gas which is just burned and gone)

• I can't charge on my holiday location (there are plenty of charging locations near your holiday location)\
  • But the charging locations are not on my holiday destination driveway (well, find a power plug at your holiday destination)
  • I can't be bothered to charge multiple times on my way to holiday (but you stop for food and toilet breaks)
  • But I like to stop where I want, not on a charging location (truth is you stop at a roadside rest stop with fuel station, because your car needs fuel. Which in Europe you can also find the charging locations)
I’d actually counter that the travel items you listed were actually not prejudices but realities. With the current state of EV charging infrastructure you are limited on routes and even more so on stops and at times you don’t have a choice in when and where you stop. I don’t prefer to sit in my car while it charges and charging spots on the edges of parking lots make it awkward to go for a walk as one example. Another example is a stop I made once before anything was open nearby and I had to get back in my car and leave to find an open place to use the bathroom. Also some people just like hopping in a car and driving for 400 miles without stopping.

I think a better counter would be to own up to the realities and acknowledge the current state. After all, the infrastructure is getting better, is increasingly covering more secondary roads and the facilities are starting to be built up where stops will become more pleasant. Essentially you can travel in the car and get most anywhere you want but you will have fewer choices on stops, routes, etc and that will only improve over time.

I’d actually counter that the travel items you listed were actually not prejudices but realities. With the current state of EV charging infrastructure you are limited on routes and even more so on stops and at times you don’t have a choice in when and where you stop. I don’t prefer to sit in my car while it charges and charging spots on the edges of parking lots make it awkward to go for a walk as one example. Another example is a stop I made once before anything was open nearby and I had to get back in my car and leave to find an open place to use the bathroom. Also some people just like hopping in a car and driving for 400 miles without stopping.

I think a better counter would be to own up to the realities and acknowledge the current state. After all, the infrastructure is getting better, is increasingly covering more secondary roads and the facilities are starting to be built up where stops will become more pleasant. Essentially you can travel in the car and get most anywhere you want but you will have fewer choices on stops, routes, etc and that will only improve over time.
I would agree...especially the bit about the network expanding...and I would like to counter this by my observation that gas stations are closing. I could be wrong but I have noticed this over many years..long before Tesla. So there may come a tipping point....more charging stations less gas stations...and as the tipping point gets closer the faster the acceleration. Of course this might not happen in our lifetime..

• Helpful
Reactions: Peelz
  • EV manufacturing causes more carbon emissions than it will save.
  • Your EV is made in China, why do you hate America
  • They're so quiet that all pedestrians will be killed.
  • Air pollution from EV tire wear is 1000 times worse than ICE tailpipe emissions.
  • Drinking water will be destroyed by all the poisons leeching out of discarded battery packs.
  • There is not enough lithium in the world, which is mined by starving children.
  • The electric fields will give you cancer.
  • The U.N. is going to confiscate my classic ICE car.
  • It takes 8 hours to charge, long trips are impossible.
  • You'll die of starvation in a traffic jam.
  • They will randomly drive you into a tree and kill you.
  • Charging in the rain will electrocute you.
  • Driving in the rain will electrocute you.
  • The grid can't handle EV charging.
  • There is nowhere to charge.
  • There are plenty of places to charge, but you'll be murdered.
  • They can be hacked, and you'll be murdered.
  • The chargers can be hacked, and explode your car, or take out the grid.
  • EVs are too slow. (lolwhut)
  • EVs are too fast to be safe. (ok maybe lool)
/thread.

that'll just about do it. LOOOOOOLL

one more: "what are you gonna do when you run out of battery and theres no charger??" As if running out of gas never happens. I just say.. Uhhh "try not to?!"

A friend/neighbor means well 60's plows my driveway. I mean hey what more can you ask for.

Neighbor:

You know many people aren't going to understand these things. I am not one of them. I get it. These cars are going to be complicated for some folks you know. Not me. I understand how they are better for environment, but they could be complicated for some. Knowing when to charge and where to do it.

My response:

Yeah I get it. Not for everyone. I get it, my 80 something father now gets it. I can understand how some can't wrap hands around such an easy process of plugging in ones garage. Hey I can't expect everyone to get it.

I finally uncle'd. Couldn't stand it any more. Years of convincing and trying. I just dropped the mic on him and said I am done trying.

1644617195132.jpeg

• EV manufacturing causes more carbon emissions than it will save.
  • Your EV is made in China, why do you hate America
  • They're so quiet that all pedestrians will be killed.
  • Air pollution from EV tire wear is 1000 times worse than ICE tailpipe emissions.
  • Drinking water will be destroyed by all the poisons leeching out of discarded battery packs.
  • There is not enough lithium in the world, which is mined by starving children.
  • The electric fields will give you cancer.
  • The U.N. is going to confiscate my classic ICE car.
  • It takes 8 hours to charge, long trips are impossible.
  • You'll die of starvation in a traffic jam.
  • They will randomly drive you into a tree and kill you.
  • Charging in the rain will electrocute you.
  • Driving in the rain will electrocute you.
  • The grid can't handle EV charging.
  • There is nowhere to charge.
  • There are plenty of places to charge, but you'll be murdered.
  • They can be hacked, and you'll be murdered.
  • The chargers can be hacked, and explode your car, or take out the grid.
  • EVs are too slow. (lolwhut)
  • EVs are too fast to be safe. (ok maybe lool)
This takes the cake. My fence guy (70+ years old) here in Texas did share his opinion when he saw my M3 saying "why is Biden trying to get rid of oil? you need it for your tires and all the plastics in that car, so just stick with gas cars because oil will be around forever". Yet another example why I'm done with Texas...

This takes the cake. My fence guy (70+ years old) here in Texas did share his opinion when he saw my M3 saying "why is Biden trying to get rid of oil? you need it for your tires and all the plastics in that car, so just stick with gas cars because oil will be around forever". Yet another example why I'm done with Texas...
First, don't mess with Texas.

Second, there's a valid point that petroleum by-products will get more expensive as oil consumption declines, but we're many decades away from that issue.