TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

What's the TMC verdict on Legion Solar? (and their Kickstarter)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tinm, May 24, 2016.

1. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

May 3, 2015
    New Mexico, USA
    Just learned of an outfit called Legion Solar that is running a Kickstarter:

Legion Solar - A Better Way to Energy Independence

They're claiming $2/Watt costs. Seems. . . hard to believe. I am curious what folks who've studied solar more than I have (but I'm always keeping my eye out for cheaper $/W solutions) have to say....
  2. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Do you know how they deal with panels making more than 1200 watts, is that just another sub system plugged in to a 5-15 on a different breaker?

How is it that much cheaper, drilling holes is not that expensive?

While I don't understand everything about the system, I do like the idea of people having a way to affordabley get into solar. It would have an immediate impact in energy terms, and would hopefully spur people into more knowledge/interest/involvement in renewables.
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    San Mateo, CA
    While I applaud the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit expressed by that company, there are some significant limits to that approach to powering your house with solar. Each small set of panels is pugged into an AC outlet and the panel output cannot exceed the amperage rating for the circuit that outlet is located on. It is unclear to me if the panels can only power items plugged into the circuit they are connected to. I assume so.

Of course there will be a cost to mounting the panels, on the roof or somewhere else.

In the event of a grid failure you will not get any power from the Legion Solar panels.

Still, if it works as described it may be useful for some people.
  4. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    It's an interesting concept... certainly a much better solution if someone wants a smaller system. Installing a 3kW inverter cost the same in labour as a 10kW inverter which can makes smaller systems much less attractive.

But the side-mount method won't work very well if you're trying to install >3kW of panels.

$2/w is actually a bit on the high side... material costs are running ~$1.50/w these days... inverter, racking and panels.
    • Informative x 1
  5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Sounds risky to me. With solar feeding in on one outlet and you drawing power on another outlet from the same breaker, you can overload the wiring before tripping the breaker.

With no permit and no electrician involved, I doubt the insurance company will feel any need to cover the bill for the fire.

I'm a big fan of solar, and of micro inverters - but not of this casual installation.
  6. Vitold

Vitold Member

Aug 10, 2015
    #6 Vitold, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Looks like a really nice solution for a summer house or a hut as I think it may be best for small installations to power fridge or AC. It's too bad that it does not work during power outage.